I read the guitar info thread, specifically the part about buying a new guitar and I saw this in relation to testing a potential new electric guitar:

"If possible, have a riff ready. If you're tagged as a complete noob, you'll get less respect."

Does anyone have any ideas as to something I could play at the time which wouldn't make me look like a dork. Having a tab of the riff or whatever on this site would help.

Most of the stuff I play now is for acoustic which isn't really suited for playing on electric.

All suggestions appreciated.
Fierce Lions!
no matter wat u play there will be a load of shredders judging u, thinking about how crap u r...... if only guitar players were abit more accepting!

i say just look like a noob for a few minutes, get the guitar u want and get out... they're never tht nice in guitar shops anyway
WILL!!
lol, thats exactly what I am dreading. Do you think I can ask to "see what headphones are like" when I try it out?
Fierce Lions!
na, i disagree...when i went to get my first electric, they guys were awesome. just make it clear, yes, this is my first electric, im not petrucci, so **** off.
doesnt really matter what you play, but it does help if you can do it properly. no one can really tell you what to play...it has to be something you like, and also to teh style of what youre going to be using the guitar for.
^ no...just play what you know....play each fret..to test neck/feel

do some crazy dragonforce type of appegios( that'll show them shredders)

and one more tip....to not be labled a noob..dont post threads like..."Help me not look like a noob "
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
i guess i'll have to just do it. I suppose it's like doing a speech, get it over with and get the hell out of there.
Fierce Lions!
and one more tip....to not be labled a noob..dont post threads like..."Help me not look like a noob "

Yeah, but no-one can see my face over the internet
Fierce Lions!
who cares what the guitar shop people think? you might only see them occasionally, and it's not like the're gonna be all like 'hey it's the pathetic noob' to your face.
just learn sum sipmle riffs that sound good: walk-pantera, enter sandman-metallica, theyre simple to play and you wont look like a complete noob
Quote by Danno13

Go cut your wrists or whatever it is you emo kids do for fun, I'm not helping you.

member of UG's gain \/\/hores- pmgpderek09 to join
Everyone's got to start somewhere mate, who cares a **** if you can't play anything on the electric.
Go there with a bit of knowledge about what your after and listen to what people have to say, people will only think your a dork if you come over as one.
Hamer USA Chapparal Custom, scalloped fretboard & Sustainiac
Hamer USA Chapparal Elite, Dragon Snakeskin finish
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Mesa 50/50 Stereo Power Amp
Laney 4x12 Cab
The guitarists who think they're better than any other person openly are idiots.

I can shred away with a lot of them, but if someone is in a guitar shop trying to remember what a minor pentatonic is in its first shape....I'll go over and help him without sounding too high and mighty and in a way that is helpful for him.
Quote by Jaffaps2
The guitarists who think they're better than any other person openly are idiots.

I can shred away with a lot of them, but if someone is in a guitar shop trying to remember what a minor pentatonic is in its first shape....I'll go over and help him without sounding too high and mighty and in a way that is helpful for him.

Spot on
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Laney 4x12 Cab
Sweep arpeggios at a blinding sweep messily and sloppily, and blame that the guitar is just a RG1570 and the Amp is just a JCM800.
Your forgetting one thing. These people that work in these stores see all kinds of
people every day. They are use to people who are new to guitar playing. The people that can play good already have their guitars. Just go in there and be yourself and don't worry what other people may think.
You shouldnt care, bro. Go in there and check out some guitars. You arent there to perform for anyone, right? Neither should you feel as if you have to impress someone. Go in there and have some fun. When I test guitars out, I usually play scales at a moderate speed to check everything. Sure, scales dont sound very good, but who gives? You're there to TEST! Haha, I think i over did it, but, anyways, have fun man.
Crappy Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Ibanez RG7321
LTD F-10
VOX AD15VT
Dunlop Jazz III's (Black)
D'Addarrio .09-.46's
hey, thanks for reading the sticky. i think its full of things you can use, and just by reading it, ur already about 10 steps ahead of a n00b.

my point was just simply, IF you can learn a small riff. then ull have something to play. rather than just standing there holding the guitar. a simple pent scale. 5 notes strung along should do. just move it around the neck of the guitar. make sure u try out the guitar and check for dead frets.

also dont ask for headphones.
music thru headphone sounds different as compared to the amp's speaker.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
If you're trying something to seriously think about buying it you shouldn't be tearing up the fretboard straight away. When I go to buy a guitar I spend very little time actually "playing", I spend longer looking at the frets condition, checking the straightness of the neck, seeing how comfortable it is, checking the neck joint, looking at the quality of the paintwork etc. When I finally start playing I play unplugged for a good 10 minutes or so, this allows you to hear if the guitar sounds any good and it isn't masked by an amp. Only after this would I plug in, just to make sure it works and see if I need to replace anything.

As this is your first electric then I'd just make sure the neck fits your hand and it sounds decent unplugged (ask to try a range of different electrics and compare the sound.) Anything else is a bonus in a first guitar! You can always change hardware and stuff later if you want to, at the moment you just want something that is inviting to play. Also if you spend a while playing unplugged it won't be embarrasing because less people can hear you!

FAKE EDIT: If it's a strat stlye you're looking at I have one word of advice: try many as they're all different. One rough way of telling whether the guitar will sound nice is to hit an open E major chord and with your picking hand hold the headstock. If the headstock is vibrating wildly 9 times out of 10 it will sound wonderful. If it doesn't move at all you normally find the guitar sounds dull and lifeless.
For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
As suggested play a small classical style piece on the electric.

most guitar players in stores are dicks who just want to look down their noses at n00bs & have a go at playing the 1 malmsteen song they know on gear that they can't afford.

Major props to the guys who offer to help people, it's rare. Must be a guitar players curse.
you should play watever you like,wateva music u like. You shouldnt care what ppl think and if a teenager says ur crap just tell them to f*** off to their studio apartment and eat a can of beans!
I Watched Download 07 on the internet Because I'm A Cheap Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!

Quote by TheUnholy
So, apparently "Britain has a large Pakistani community" is now a source of humour?

I hope your Daily Mail strangles you, to be honest.
I take satisfaction in the knowledge that I can play guitar, but I don't know a lot of stuff =)

You should too. Why be embarrased by some guitar shop guys? You know you could play a lot of stuff if you tried learning it, it's just you haven't. Half these guys who look down their noses at you can easily be sorted by coughing W****r on the way out.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Or by beating them up.
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Laney 4x12 Cab
There's no point trying to hide your noobness, because the extra pressure of that will only make you feel worse.

Still, just learn a little riff, and practice it until you feel entirely comfortable with it.

Playing in stores shouldn't be about worrying about how you sound to other people, it should be about how the gear sounds to you.

Hell, I've asked for staff to unpack a little practice amp because it's what I have at home, and they've done it.

It's all about finding the right, comfortable enviroment for you.

Worst comes to worst, run a scale or two.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
Listen to some of you guys! You're there to buy a guitar fercrissake, NOT do an
audition. The "all eyes are on you" is mostly in your imagination. No one really
cares. Just check out the guitar (good one power freak) and make a decision. I've
found most of the best checking is done un plugged anyway (if you can find a quiet
spot -- that can be a challenge in GC).

Anyone that goes to a store to just sit and play and impress people is a jerkoff
anyway. I wanted to check out a VOX VC30 head in GC one day. Nothing loud,
just on different settings and run it thru some paces. Right next to me a guy was
playing thru a Fender Combo. Fairly loud. He was good, but I didn't care cuz I
couldn't hear what I wanted. I waited and waited and waited... He was still playing
after an hour with no sign of stopping. Jerkoff. I wanted to crack the MIM Strat
I was holding over his head. I walked and GC lost a potential sale because of that
guy.
Nobody is judging you. I was in a busy guitar store when I bought my first guitar, and nobody seemed to mind that all I could do was improv on a pentatonic scale and play some crappy bar chords.
Original Songs by IggyG:
Hit My Name!
ya im kinda scared to try a epiphone double neck guitar because they will think im a noob looking for a cool looking giujtar, the only reason i wanna play it is because i wanna try stairway to heaven on a 12 string.

ok funny story about a noob at GC. so i walk in and i see a like about 7 yrs old holing a gibson x-ploreer. i was like lol what a nub. but those are prety good guitars anyways so i wasnt laghing too much, but what was funny was when he put down the gibson and picked up a bc rich weirdo bat shaped guitar and started playing smoke on water lolol i was laughing for ever, i was thinking about going up to him and suggest somthing better but i didnt have the guts
Quote by edg
Listen to some of you guys! You're there to buy a guitar fercrissake, NOT do an
audition.

still, the point of the sticky was for the buyer to get the best deal, best guitar possible.

if the sales guy thinks u have no idea about guitars, features including wood hardware, possible flaws, then they are more apt to take advantage.
when you know what ur asking for, they are more likely to take care of u.

they more you know, the better position your in.

again keep in mind, that's one line from a half page tutorial.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011