Page 1 of 2
Hey to all you classical fans out there,

Just wondering if tehres any good classical sogns that you guys/girls might recommend. The only good ones i know are classical soul (my favourite), classical gas, romance, maria luisa, and some other ones which i can't even pronounce. Hit me abck with something worthwhile to learn and play =]

Thanks
Michael
Quote by ror
eric clapton - tears in heaven.

I wouldn't call this classical music...

Everyone loves to hear Canon in D by Pachelbel.

Same goes for Fur Elise - Beethoven.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
J.S. Bach - Prelude in D
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Classical Soul rocks.

Other ones that are fun to play:

Bedroom Acoustics - Matt Bellamy (Muse)
Canon in D - Generic, but oh well.
Sonate Pathetique - Insanely fun to play, unusual fingering positions on the fretboard.
Rondo Alla Turka - Even more insanely fun to play, quite tricky.
Capricho Arabe - My favorite to listen to, though it's in drop D...
Asturias-Sir Isaac Albeniz
Capricho Arabe-Franciso Tarrega (?)
Spatter the Dew-David Russell---This one is my absolute favorite. It's so great and catchy. I've had it stuck in my head for the past week and I'm still not tired of it.
I am Puddin' Taine! of the Primus Sucks club. PM StratEnRegalia to join!

Member #1 of the Ipods Suck Balls Club

Member #2 Of the Parker>All Other Brands Club, PM dementedpuppy to Join.
John Dowland - Allemande ("My Lady Hunsdon's Puffe") is a standard in classical performance repertoire and isn't too brutal. It's in drop-D. (those crazy 15th century metal heads!! hehehe....) Easier than Romanza, if you're using the full arrangement with the tremolo, etc. Roughly on par with Austurius, IIRC.

Chris
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Sep 1, 2006,
Quote by METALHEAD8465
Asturias-Sir Isaac Albeniz
Capricho Arabe-Franciso Tarrega (?)
Spatter the Dew-David Russell---This one is my absolute favorite. It's so great and catchy. I've had it stuck in my head for the past week and I'm still not tired of it.

I got about halfway through learning all of that but had to stop because my thumb nail broke off

It's almost back though, so I'm about ready to continue working on it. It's really fun

EDIT: To the guy above me, you can't really compare that Download piece to Asturias (Leyenda)
My God, it's full of stars!
It's been a while (like 10 years....) since I've played them, but I have played them both. Austurius is a bit harder if I recall. Are you suggesting that my memory is foggy? Seriously... it might be.

Chris

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

No, but I mean... they are so different in almost every aspect.

I have the sheet music for both, and I just now glanced over the Dowland piece.
Yes, they're very different, but both great pieces. I checked over my notes too. I have a "simplified version" that clocks in around a grade 7 level. The Dowland piece is grade 8. The Segovia arrangement of Asturius is grade 9. So... yes, the "proper" arrangement of Leyenda is harder, but not *that* much.... the tremolo bit in the second half is a killer though.

Chris

There are sooo many. Where to start. Check out www.classtab.org (not my site). Loads of classical tabs there. Lejania is a beautiful piece. I'd agree with Capricho Arabe. Izaac Albeniz has written some fantastic tunes (originally for piano) but they've since been transcribed to the guitar. Kind of depends on what sort of music you like. Personally, I love Spanish (Albeniz, Granados, Tarrega) and South American (Lauro). The music has some fantasic rhythms as so much of the music comes from native folk songs and dances. Check out Francisco Tarrega's Gran Vals for a well known, catchy tune. It's where Nokia's original ring tone came from. Or how about Recuerdos de la Alhambra if you fancy tackling some tremelo?

Gary.
If you like Spanish/South American, check out Villa Lobos too. Watch it, though, because some of the studies (#3 I think it is.... there is a book of 12 studies that are very popular performances pieces) is brutally hard. Some aren't so bad, though.

Chris

Horizons
Tales of the riverbank
The journey
Amazing songs!

Quote by mikewl
Hey to all you classical fans out there,

Just wondering if tehres any good classical sogns that you guys/girls might recommend. The only good ones i know are classical soul (my favourite), classical gas, romance, maria luisa, and some other ones which i can't even pronounce. Hit me abck with something worthwhile to learn and play =]

Thanks
Michael

My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Takimine Classical Guitar
Yamaha Acoustic
Boss MD-2 Mega Distortion
Boss Compression sustainer
Boss Volume Pedal
:stickpoke
Quote by HeliuM
Bach's Bouree. You'll know the tune once you play it.
Yep, that's a fun one.
What are the classical guitar grades and which song you must be able to play to be considered each grade (if we don't mind the theorical part...) ?
Quote by HeliuM
Bach's Bouree. You'll know the tune once you play it.

Agreed. Jethro Tull did a really nice version of this in the 70's!
I particularly love the suggestions of 50cent, Randy Rhoads and Clapton. Probably the most 'classical' stuff I've ever heard of! LOL

Jose Luis Merlin - Evocacion from Suite del Recuerdo
Simple but can you make it sound good?
Quote by Mazout360
What are the classical guitar grades and which song you must be able to play to be considered each grade (if we don't mind the theorical part...) ?

The Canadian system is modelled after the British system. I'm sure there are similar systems throughout the world. The Royal Conservatory of Music has a syllabus that outlines certain performance, theoretical, technical, and ear requirements for each grade. Once you get up to grade 10, you can take your ARCT which stands for Associate of the Royal Conservatory Teacher or something like that. Generally considered the practical equivalent of a college degree, but a step down from a university degree.

http://www.rcmusic.ca/ContentPage.aspx?name=aboutRCM

Chris

Hehe.... guy who said 50cent was surely kidding.... er..... I hope....

Chris

Hotel Calfornia-mtv Unplugged Concert

Don Felder + Joe Wash's Performances= Perfection
Classical? He's kidding too...... er..... I hope......

CT

Heh Capricho is deceptively simple. Many can play the notes, only a handful of players can make it sound right. Even some professionals don't nail it well. Technically good, but the feel doesn't come out right.

Hotel California is another perfect suggestion, it's as classical as an electric guitar.
Bach has a prelude from his 1st cello suite that's quite solid. It's originally in G but my version is in D (drop D tuning). Lots of other great suggestions here though, for sure
That prelude from Cello Suite #1 is one of the few that is still somewhat in my hands.

Great piece. Never seen an arrangement in D, though..... certainly not to suggest it doesn't exist, though.

Chris

Ravel's Bolero?
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by axemanchris
That prelude from Cello Suite #1 is one of the few that is still somewhat in my hands.

Great piece. Never seen an arrangement in D, though..... certainly not to suggest it doesn't exist, though.

Chris

I have it arranged in D as well
What is the source of that one? Who published/arranged, etc. that version?

Chris

^ I think it's a Segovia arrangement... hold on lemme check.

EDIT: Oh nevermind, it's transcribed by Michael Lorimer.
Heh.... I was thinking of another piece, but I do know the one we're talking about though. The one I was thinking of is an Allemande, but I can't place which suite it is from... not the first cello suite, apparently....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_pzcLkBxTQ

Chris

Guardame Las Vacas
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata". It's not hard technique-wise, but rather long. I play it in D tuning, because it sounds somewhat darker.

And to the people who said Hotel California or other 60s/70s songs... go home.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
asturias by john feely is a very good classical tune
Orinally Posted by HorridxHopes

This is the smartest question ever posted in the pit. I commend you.

I asked about theory of reality and this is what someone said to me!
Might not be "classical" classical... But I love Piazzolla's Tango Suite.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Page 1 of 2