is there actually any benefit in downtuning asides from the obvious (the fact that the pitch is actually lower.)

does it make any difference apart from drop c being 1 tone down from d, say?

cheersx
No....

Downtuning is done to have a lower pitch. That's pretty much it...
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

i heard that there was more thickness to the tone?

also, then if it is a step down, it'll change key. and again, do different keys sound any different (apart from the obvious major - minor differences) apart from the notes' pitch?
yeah, with 9 's i find the loss of tension annoying. i can't grip on the frets as well, and lose my power. use high gauges like 12's and problem solved
Black Sabbath tune to C# so that the strings are looser for Tony's fingers
the thing is that you can use heavier strings to get fuller tone and they're not too tight... 12's have much better tone than 9's, but it would be f**ked up to play them unless you tune lower..
Downtuning allows you to get lower notes, hence the reason why a lot of bands on the heavier spectrum down tune and drop tune. I personally dont see any reason to go any farther down than drop D, and even then I think you are just being lazy unless you play those dropped power cords so fast you couldnt do them in standard. Another reason people use drop tunings, though, is for slide guitar. It allows you to slide 3 strings at a time without sounding disonant (sp?).
Quote by metallinutter
it makes the strings looser. there is less tension on them and they bend easier.

not if your using a thicker string gauge then your strings wont be so loose
Quote by Brainwash
Downtuning allows you to get lower notes, hence the reason why a lot of bands on the heavier spectrum down tune and drop tune. I personally dont see any reason to go any farther down than drop D, and even then I think you are just being lazy unless you play those dropped power cords so fast you couldnt do them in standard. Another reason people use drop tunings, though, is for slide guitar. It allows you to slide 3 strings at a time without sounding disonant (sp?).

Fair enough that you have no use for low tunings, but to say that people that tune that low are lazy is just plain ignorant.
i have.

the "bendier strings" argument surely he could just use lighter strings

the "lower notes argument" he doesnt seem to use that low notes.

when the other members seem to play in standardit seems to go against the other arguments
Quote by andyroo_g
i have.

the "bendier strings" argument surely he could just use lighter strings

the "lower notes argument" he doesnt seem to use that low notes.

when the other members seem to play in standardit seems to go against the other arguments

imo lighter strings do feel a bit crap.
Oh my God. Lowering the tuning gives you notes of a lower pitch to play with (i think Slash uses Eb), so obviously Slash does use lower notes. Some people don't like low gauge strings so tune lower and use a higher gauge, and Heavier gauge strings give you 'more tone' so to speak.