I know this is a weird hodgepodge of gear, but please hear me out...

Right now I'm playing mostly 90's faster alt-rock (lots and lots of powerchord-only songs, plus some STP and Pearl Jam). I already have a POD XT with an FBV Shortboard, and through an odd trade, I ended up with the Line 6 Vetta Cabinet (not the head, just the heavy 320-watt cabinet). These have custom Celestions that are known for being very "flat", like the speakers in a keyboard amp, in order to properly voice the POD simulation with minimal additional coloration.

So now, a head / poweramp - for $150 I can plug in a Crate Powerblock off eBay, and put the POD XT in front of it, or locally I can pickup a used Marshall MG100HDFX for $180 and run the POD through the FX Loop, thereby getting around the tone of the MG that everyone seems to hate, but getting the poweramp out of it (and, admittedly, the vain pride in seeing the black and gold and the marshall logo, versus the funny little crate gadget).

I know neither of these are considered "pro" gear, but since I already have the POD, and I already have the Cabinet, I'm not going to go buy a P.A., and I want to make use of everything I already have.

Your thoughts? Thanks for any help.
Hmmm Both would work. Both are SS though.
Why not try the Marshall by running from the output of the POD to the return of the Marshall and see how it sounds, if you like then get it locally.
Hamer USA Chapparal Custom, scalloped fretboard & Sustainiac
Hamer USA Chapparal Elite, Dragon Snakeskin finish
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Mesa 50/50 Stereo Power Amp
Laney 4x12 Cab
You should buy a rack poweramp off ebay or something... A marshall 50/50 would do, this'll allow you to use the POD with no colouration and power your cabinet.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
The Marshall 50/50 valve power amps are nice, bit more pricey though.
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Laney 4x12 Cab
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I found a specific person who's selling the Marshall head, and the powerblock heads are regularly 150-160 on ebay brand new - so the problem is I don't have a lot of opportunity to really test these out, at least not with the POD in front of it.

I know it's illegal to say it around here, but I find the tube amp simulation out of the POD XT to be "good enough" for my experience level, probably at least another year or two, so I almost prefer solid-state just so I don't have to muck with tube replacements, bias, etc - then again, I know the two heads I'm talking about are considered to be P.O.S.'s by a lot of guys on here, so I want to make sure I don't waste my cash either.

Bottom line, I don't want to spend what the rack poweramps costs (believe me, I considered the ones that pop up on eBay), which is why I'm looking at these non-rack solutions.
Quote by power freak
You should buy a rack poweramp off ebay or something... A marshall 50/50 would do, this'll allow you to use the POD with no colouration and power your cabinet.

^+1
either the Marshall 50/50 or the Mesa 20/20, 50/50 would absolutely rape either of those amps your considering, and would be an amp you could keep for a long time. Neither of the ones you are looking at are long term investments. I don't know about the Marshall, but the Mesa's are both between $400-500 used. It's well worth it IMO to save a little more and get some quality equipment that you can keep for a while. Plus, the resale value on either of those poweramps would still be the same or greater if you ever decided to sell it. The resale on the Crate or MG will be pretty poor.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
my brother has an MG100HDFX fullstack (runs it halfstack though, leaves a cab at his bandspace and one in his room). He uses the PodXT, and it does sound just fine through the amp. There are quite a few tones that thing has that I LOVE.
POD's are great for practising and recording I use one. I don't think the modellers cut it so well live and loud though.
Erock has good advice there.
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Laney 4x12 Cab
Use the POD asa preamp and get a Rocktron Velocity Poweramp... Cheapest Poweramp I can fidn anywhere...
Quote by rockers73
POD's are great for practising and recording I use one. I don't think the modellers cut it so well live and loud though.

My GT-8/HRD rig is working quite well for live setups...and it's very, very loud. The modeler is not a problem, it's the amplification method. I would vote against the MG and Powerblock solutions because I've seen both of those amps fail multiple times. The Powerblock just seems to overheat and the MGs that I've seen just fail after being pushed too far to get the needed volume out of them.

Any of the power amps listed in the thread so far are viable options...don't forget the Carvin TS100 as well.
OK, so I always get annoyed when I search through forums for advice on a purchase, and there are a bunch of opinions, but the original guy never says what they ended up selecting, their initial feedback, etc., so here I go...

After talking it over with my resident work "guitar guy", and looking at some websites of bands who base their guitar tone around a POD setup as well, I went with the Crate Powerblock.

I will be the first to admit to you that I do not have a lot of experience with amps and the variance in tones between each piece of gear in the chain. That said - running the guitar into the pod, the pod into the powerblock, and the powerblock out to my cab sounds incredible on every POD patch I try - further, my modeller setting for a JCM 800 tone sounds exactly the same to me as my cousin who actually plays through an old JCM combo in his house, which resolves whether I would feel satisfied with my own setup. Of course, I'm not anywhere close to playing live yet, so I can't tell you what will happen when I turn the dials up, because right now I have everything barely turned on at all, and the house is actually shaking from the volume and reverb.

At the end of the day, I have my 300w cab, my POD XT, my Shortboard, and my Powerblock, plus cables, and I'm probably not far off the price of a straight up used Marshall half-stack or what have you, but the POD is the only thing I bought full price new at a store because I didn't know better 4 months ago, and I feel like when I get to the point of performing, I won't have to buy any more gear, provided I don't get tired of carrying that 78-pound cabinet (if I do, you'll see my posts about PA systems next!). Thanks all.