Page 1 of 3
Now aside from our typical virtuosi, such as satch, vai and those lovely boys from simple plan (I kid, I kid!), which somewhat mundane guitarists do you think have a lot more skill than their music shows?

Kurt Cobain apparently used to learn 80's hair metal songs, but he kept them secret as not to detract from his 'image'.

I know he isn't mundane, but according to the poser thread David Gilmour is capable of really fast playing.

I'm not a fan but apparently Synester Gates of A7X went to Berklee, so he must know some pretty cool stuff that he isnt showing.

The one mundane player I dont believe to have much more skill that what he is showing is Billie Joe Armstrong, he did rip some solo's back in the day but I just can't see him having that much skill.

Who do you think has better skills than what they are showing?
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
Well, Synyster Gates uses a wristband to mute the open strings to aid his soloing, so I'm really not a fan.

Matt Bellamy doesn't show off much, but i'm sure he'll have it in him. He's a great pianist, a great singer, it's only natural he's a great guitarist.
Quote by citizenerasedx
Well, Synyster Gates uses a wristband to mute the open strings to aid his soloing, so I'm really not a fan.

Matt Bellamy doesn't show off much, but i'm sure he'll have it in him. He's a great pianist, a great singer, it's only natural he's a great guitarist.

Hhm, I don't know, I think if Matt Bellamy could shred, he would. Muse have that sorta prog rock feel to them, but they don't solo. That implies lack of skill to me.
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
if ur going to play some american idiot stuff heres the settings:

Master Volume : 0
i dunno about the rest
I disagree, I think he is an amazing guitar player and the he just doesn't step over the rest of his band with soloing
Quote by flyingjew34
Practice Practice Practice man. You can't get better at anything without practice. Oh, and mustard too.

I play like I'm breaking out of jail.

--Stevie Ray Vaughan
I heard that Tom DeLonge is capable of some really good shredding so Im gonna stick with him.
matt bellamy definitely ive seen him shred and hes great, but he doesnt seem to do any of it in his songs?
A lot of artists like matt bellamy would probably rather focus on producing good music than trying to show off all of their skills by shredding or soloing. Using him as an example, when you listen to a lot of muse stuff there is so much else going on that soloing probably isn't a priority. A lot of artists have these abilities but just do not wish to show them off on every song, they concentrate on rythyms, lyrics, effects, chords, harmonies, etc.
Balsac the Jaws of Death, and Flattus Maximus from GWAR have much more skill than they usually showed with GWAR
ESP and Jackson Fanboy
Hhm, OK, I take it back, Matt Bellamy can shred. Most professional guitarists will be able to pwn I presume - if you have to record things perfectly in a studio, you'll become a master of the guitar, even if it's just powerchords your soloing will be good.
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
if ur going to play some american idiot stuff heres the settings:

Master Volume : 0
i dunno about the rest
guys i hate to say this, i love shred too, but for a pro guitarist to shred decently (taking into accoutn theyve been playing as long as they have and know where all the notes are etc), all they have to know how to do is tremolo pic and pull powerchords out of their ass. To shred well and actually make something of it is a different thing indeed, but the basical skills involved in shredding and soloing are just knolwedge of penatatonics and trem picking. hell if you can palm mute the E string and trem pick it at 200 a minute you can shred (albeit not very originally).
Marty
Kirk Hammett (was invited once for G3 but he refused to go)
Dave Matthews (cause the complexity of the musical structures of songs that he compose)
Quote by TeenBite
Hhm, I don't know, I think if Matt Bellamy could shred, he would. Muse have that sorta prog rock feel to them, but they don't solo. That implies lack of skill to me.

Possibly, but they have a lot of songwriting skill.
And besides, since when has not being able to solo denotes lack of skill?
Think of classical guitarists. Definately skillful, but no soloing there usually.
Original Songs by IggyG:
Hit My Name!
i agree with el cumanes and dave matthews
but i thought kirk hammett was already praised as a great guitarist
Quote by jazkel24

Any bands you're trying to copy/sound like?
I'm glad Matt Bellamy DOESN'T shred. Any guitarist who can shred but doesn't in their music, I can respect. Shred is wank.
Quote by El Cumanés
Kirk Hammett (was invited once for G3 but he refused to go)

More than likely because he is completely and utterly outclassed by Satch and Vai. Kirk really is not that good. Hell he's worse than all his fanboys claim him to be.
Quote by Aidy Damage
I'm glad Matt Bellamy DOESN'T shred. Any guitarist who can shred but doesn't in their music, I can respect. Shred is wank.

You're wank.

Seriously, generalising a whole genre is plain stupid. I don't like what your band plays, but I don't need to say it sucks do I?

Anyway, on the Matt Bellamy thing, he doesn't shred because it doesn't fit the songs. Muse's music is omre about interesting soundscapes and dynamics than shredding.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Agreed with Tim, although i'm going to be fussy and point out Shred isn't a genre, rather a style.
Linde of HIM can really play, more than anyne knows. He could easily hold his own with any of todays metal guys and also is capable of shred. Without ever sacrificing any style or finesse. He is undenyably one of the most original sounding guitar players today. Unfortuantly NO one in the guitar community has really payed attention to Linde.
ive seen billie joe do a a couple of shreddy licks before. i didnt think it was him, but i saw his face. it was weird.

dont hurt me
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Dez Cadena (The Misfits, well, the P1950 onwards lineup) is very impressive. Check out his stuff on the Osaka Popstar CD, it's rather good. Ivan Julan (Richard Hell and the Voidoids) is on there too, so it's worth checking out if you want to hear some punk with great guitar playing.
Jade Puget.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Quote by Aidy Damage

You, sir, are a moron. If you class all shred as wank, then I'm afraid to say you have no idea what shred is. You obviously assume all shred is fast, non-musical notes thrown together. Go to the shred forum and educate yourself before you make uneducated claims that just make you seem like an idiot.
Administrator of the "Guitarists born in 1991 Club" PM me or greendayguitar to join.

Feel free to add me
Quote by Funkbass796
Jade Puget.

Idea... STEALER!

All those flaming me for not nowing about shred... my now ex-band's drummer tried for ages to get me into shred showing me whatever he could think of, and I even bought Rock Discipline... but I just didn't feel it, sorry! Give me punk rock any day.
Quote by codybcool
More than likely because he is completely and utterly outclassed by Satch and Vai. Kirk really is not that good. Hell he's worse than all his fanboys claim him to be.

HAHAHA
That was intended to be humorous, right?
Quote by demea
HAHAHA

If by humorous you mean completely true, then yes it is.
Administrator of the "Guitarists born in 1991 Club" PM me or greendayguitar to join.

Feel free to add me
Kirk Hammet is not a good speed player or not a good guitarist?
Lets clarify that first.
Well it is humourous in that some people seem to believe Kirk is a guitar God despite the **** he has put to record.

EDIT: He served his purpose for Metallica, albeit slowly getting worse and worse, but he is a terrible speed player and is massively overrated.
Quote by demea
HAHAHA

Nope.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Kirk was an very good guitarist in the 80's, but he's really lost it.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Last edited by DaddyTwoFoot at Sep 1, 2006,
Rivers Cuomo. His guitar playing is tasteful and most Weezer songs contain a good solo, I think he's underrated.
I listen to music and I don't need your opinions about what I listen to.
Roy Buchanon (sp), he likes look a dork with his guitar so high up and then busts out mad speed and crazy stuff.

Also, Country dudes and banjo guys (banjo = shred without distortion).
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
Quote by Aidy Damage

you're a twat

I asked you this in another thread , have you actually listened to any shred before?or have you just seen video's of people playing as fast as they can on youtube
. Also i dont bash emo for no reason so there is no reason for you to bash shred

Keep your inbred , eyeliner wearing opinion to yourself
I would say Kris Roberts of Funeral for a friend, he does some really good riffs but you never see him play a solo, but from his playing of other stuff he has a lot of skill.
Quote by im_hungry
you're a twat

I asked you this in another thread , have you actually listened to any shred before?or have you just seen video's of people playing as fast as they can on youtube
. Also i dont bash emo for no reason so there is no reason for you to bash shred

Keep your inbred , eyeliner wearing opinion to yourself

I've already explained in THIS THREAD- yes, I have listened to a LOT of shred (Malmsteen, Gilbert, Petrucci, Vai, Satch, John 5) and it just doesn't appeal to me.

I DO also realise that this thread has just made me the new hotpunksk8rgrl-esuqe beatstick of UG, the guitar forum at least Ah well
Last edited by Aidy Damage at Sep 1, 2006,
Page 1 of 3