I just saw a SD hot rails in my local guitar shop and it said 'for strat' I think. Can I still swap it on a telecaster? I hear that the Hot Rails can be used for both guitars.
Fender Lite Ash Tele/Hamer SATF<--Korg DT-10<Zvex Super Hard On<Digitech Bad Monkey<MI Audio Crunchbox<Pro Co "Keeley" Rat<Line 6 M13<<--Marshall JTM60 1x12 Combo
Quote by C40.is.hot
I just saw a SD hot rails in my local guitar shop and it said 'for strat' I think. Can I still swap it on a telecaster? I hear that the Hot Rails can be used for both guitars.

The mountings are different, you wouldn't be able to mount a strat pickup in a tele.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
And if you're going to get that kind of pickup, DiMarzio Chopper > SD Hotrails.
Hi, I'm Peter
The Tele Neck pup is about the same as a Strat pup.

The Tele Bridge pup has a totally different mounting.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
Jesus, I'm so sick of digging up this picture...

Red dots are where the mounting screws on a tele pick-up go. Blue dots are where the screws would be where the mounting screws would be on a strat bridge/hotrails pick-up. Notice how they go past the bridge plate? that means there's no (attractive) way to make the strat pickup fit a tele bridge unless you want to do some routing and metalwork.

Edit: So, as an answer to your question, yes and no. Yes, the Hotrails is different for a tele simply because of the way the screws are laid out. And no, because aside from the screws the pick-up is/should be the same.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Last edited by Will_Minus at Sep 1, 2006,