If anybody knows this song by metallica, they will probably say that this song is one of the most beautifully written songs ever. It's an instrumental that starts off with an acoustic intro. I was learning it just a second ago, and I looked and i saw a bunch of like ranom notes and chords, and I am just wondering how the hell they wrote that intro?
I have not heard this song, but be careful about throwing the words "Most beautiful song" around. Andres Segovia would scoff, haha.

Anyway, could you direct me to the tab you are looking at , PERHAPS I will be able to help you out in deconstructing the chord movements. I'd like to be on the same page though.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
yeh it is a beutiful song!

The best bit is when it becomes more epic (if thats the right word) in the middle of the song.!
great song! but i like the middle acoustic part better, but both ones are just awesome!
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

and justice for all.... is probably my favourite metallica album its and amazing song but these guys can come up with anything and everything
+ =
Quote by gary666
yeh it is a beutiful song!

The best bit is when it becomes more epic (if thats the right word) in the middle of the song.!

I definetly agree, but that bit is easier to understand how they wrote it then the intro.
It appears we are in B minor.

H P      
-7----(7-------------------(7-----10-|-10-----10---------------------0-0--12-------| 
-7----)7--7-----------7----)7-----8--|-10---------------7-8-7^8^7----0-0--0--| 
-7--7-(7-----7-----7-------(7--------|-11--------11-----7-7-7-----9--9-11-9--| 
-9--9-----9----------------)9--------|-12--12--------------------------------| 
-9------------------------------------|-12------------12----------------------| 
-7--------------7--------7-----7-----|-10------------------------------------| 
*2 gtrs. arr. for 1                                 **harm. on 1st string only 

sl.                sl.                                  H P 
-----------------7--7--/12-|--12-----12----------8--7--10-7^10^7--| 
-----------8--8------------ |--12---------12--12--0--5--0-------7--| 
-----------9--9--7--7--/9--|--12---------9---9---0-----0----------| 
---------------------------|--14--14-----9------------------------| 
----/9--7------------------|--14---------10-----------------------| 
--0------------------------|--0---0-------------------------------| 
                                                  (end Rhy. Fig. 1) 

We start on the B minor chord, James/Kirk is picking his melody out after hitting the B minor chord, which establishes a nice, gloomy feeling. Look at that last 8 in the first bar, this G note leads up to the A that is in our next chord, D major. Just throwing in that note helps the listener connect the first chord to the next chord smoothly in their mind.

B minor to D major is a movement from a minor chord to it's relative major. Do you understand this? If not, time for some reading, heh. The quick, un technical way of doing this is play your minor chord, then three frets up ( a step and a half), play your major chord. Tadaa! I personally love the way a minor chord goes into it's relative major.

He picks out some melody notes, then goes up for the two notes at the 7th fret. These two notes are actually in the D major chord! They are not random at all, he was just playing D major up at the 10th fret, and now he is picking a part of it out, just at a different position.

He goes to the 9-0-0 11-0-0 etc part. He is basically making an E minor chord way up high.

E minor chord - E G B . This is the 4th chord in B minor. Also known as the sub dominant, the 4th chord is an important chord. It provides tension and leads back into the tonic (the home chord of the key, which in this case is B minor)fairly nicely.

The 9-0-0 part spell the notes.... E G E! So, although it doesn't have all of the notes, I'd call it e minor, because E to G is the most important part of the minor chord. (It's the minor third!)

The next bar is basically all E minor / E minor 7 to me. Remember the notes in E minor? Let's compare them to bar three.

It starts with an open E string! Woo. With the note on fret 9 just being a colour tone, let's forget about it. It is there to provide a bit of a variety to the notes. Moving on to the 7th fret of the A string - Another E! The those little 9-8 double stop things that come next? What notes do they give us? E and G! Both in our E minor chord.

By now we can see this whole measure is basically picking out the melody from one chord. Not soo crazy now is it? The only thing that isn't in the E minor chord is that 7 on the G string. This is a D note, it turns our E minor chord into an E minor 7! (The fret number has no relation to this).

Finally, this bar ends with a 9-12 thing. Notes? Both are E.

The last bar is basically E minor up at the 14th fret, then G major at the tenth.

Is this the kind of thing you are looking for? I want you to ask questions, as you MUST have some. Please, fire away!

Of course, I can't tell you how to write a beautiful melody, heh.

Well considering a lot of that confused me, I'll just ask one question at is legitamite.

How do they know what notes to singularly pick out of the chord?
Haha, the last thing I said is "I can't tell you how to write a beautiful melody"

Learning how to write good melodies takes a while, to train your ear, and mind. You could think it up in your head, then find it on the guitar. Probably the best way, since you don't think about difficulty or anything, and aren't hindered by your ability. It takes a while to find the notes you hear in your head on the fretboard though. You could also just fiddle around and improvise until you hit something you like....

Please, if you have any questions, why not seize the day and start learning now?

Yes I learn theory, but I don't rush it because then I would just end up confused and lost. So slowly.