My Squier Strat currently has Fender Standard Bullet (.009 - .042) strings, and they are really flexible, so much to the point that it's difficult to solo. Anyway, I need replacements anyway as they are 2 years old, and was wondering what gauge I should switch to for a stiffer string? I play blues on the strat mostly.

Or is the problem not the strings, but the action?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
umm try some 11 or 12 guage, that will make it a tougher bend etc. I dont think this problem is with the action, this may be the age of the strings also, the strings could easily be so old they have become more flexible or something (maybe)
holly sh*t, two years old? you really need some new strings. anyway, you could try with .010-.046 first, so you don't make a drastic change. then when you get used to those, if you feel you need something thicker, go ahead...
it could be a result of both ts but wait til you get new strings then give the strat a set up. personally i would advise the use of Elixirs and fine a gauge that you prefer
Yes, two years old =)

They're black.

How big a difference would a .010 have? Because I want the bend to be a bit more sensible, seeing how that as it is I can bend my low E upto where the D string is when I'm about halfway up the fretboard...
dont get elixirs D' addario now come in 3 pack for $24 aussie dollars a 3 pack is less expensive that one pair of elixirs and the D addario will out last one pair of elixirs
Quote by striker327
dont get elixirs D' addario now come in 3 pack for $24 aussie dollars a 3 pack is less expensive that one pair of elixirs and the D addario will out last one pair of elixirs

if you insist on it. you gotta beat 10 months or so of elixir pure tone
I think I might get the D'addario XLs in 11-49, seeing as they are half what the Elixirs are, because I am moving from 09 to 11 and I may not like the 11's.
i wouldnt want strings to last that long anyway. theres something rewarding and exciting in changing strings =]
Except for when you cut yourself on the top e, such is my tradition.

I never actually mean to.
Quote by MrCarrot
Except for when you cut yourself on the top e, such is my tradition.

I never actually mean to.

ouch, well atleast you dont cut yourself with the fret wires. damn you cheapo epi
use 10's, elixirs or d'addarios keep good tones, i use both depending on what is available (always keep some of each in case i have a craving for one type)
LOL I'm surprised those strings haven't fossilised!!
Hamer USA Chapparal Custom, scalloped fretboard & Sustainiac
Hamer USA Chapparal Elite, Dragon Snakeskin finish
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Mesa 50/50 Stereo Power Amp
Laney 4x12 Cab
They're black. And uncomfortable to play. All rough. I think I've worn the nickel coating off.
well cutting yourself is 1 thing, ive whipped myself in the eye, **** tht hurt.
.10's and .09's are different, i jsut got a used 67' gibson sg and it had .08's (measered it wiht a micrometer i think its called) and i switched to .09's you can really tell a difference, but now i kinda wish i owuld have left the 8's on it