Don't worry I'm nto goin all emo on everyone... Im just simply wondering what would be better out of these two choices...

Engl Thunder 50 = £550 (With Footswitch)

OR

Marshall DSL401 Combo = £390

IT's like... Well... I would really love the Engl cos it has a kickass lead channel... But with Marshalls reputation of being the best amps (which not many people actually agree on) and some of my favourite bands use them... Well.... As far as I know... Trivium use DSLs but I hear they have ODs before them....

Good points and bad points I've collected...

Engl (Good points)

Great distortion (which I want)
Pretty decent cleans..
Simple EQ

Marshall (Good points)

I hear the cleans are pretty good...
Distortion may be good enough (not sure really)
3 channels
Footswitch is free
Cheap for an all tube amp
Seperate EQs

Engl (Bad points)

****in expensive
Looks cheap... But it's really not...
Footswitch costs £55!

Marshall (Bad Points)

OD might not be enough

Adding it all up and everything.. The Marshall wins... But is the DSL401 really a good amp? Sound clips are hard to find... My music stores are tight ass bastards that dont let things be tested "in case of damaging"...

UG is the onyl source for opinions really =/
Last edited by Untitled001 at Sep 1, 2006,
I've had a Marshall DSL 401 combo and I was VERY dissapointed. Clean channel is not so good really.. No punch at all. meanwhile the Thunder's cleans are Fender like.
The dist on the Marshall is also really horrible you will have to get a OD and I doubt that will be enough in the end. The ENGL thundrer for sure no competition
That particular Marshall isn't really anything special. I don't like the combos near as much as the stacks. They don't come close in sound quality. I'd deffinately choose the ENGL. It will have more distortion, better cleans, and more overall versatility. It's also a better quality amp.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
K so far Engl is winning... I dont actually know why I don't just get the Thunder combo....

I might change that :P
i'm not here to offer any opinion, i havent tried the engl, but if you're worried about od/dist cant you just buy a pedal with the masses of money you'll save?
Quote by andyroo_g
i'm not here to offer any opinion, i havent tried the engl, but if you're worried about od/dist cant you just buy a pedal with the masses of money you'll save?

Well not really... Because minaly this is for christmas... I'm fidning out which one first so I get a lot fo time to save p the money I have to put towards it...
"My music stores are tight ass bastards that dont let things be tested "in case of damaging"...

Tell them to f**k off then, if they want let you test stuff then they don't deserve your money.
Hamer USA Chapparal Custom, scalloped fretboard & Sustainiac
Hamer USA Chapparal Elite, Dragon Snakeskin finish
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Mesa 50/50 Stereo Power Amp
Laney 4x12 Cab
Quote by rockers73
"My music stores are tight ass bastards that dont let things be tested "in case of damaging"...

Tell them to f**k off then, if they want let you test stuff then they don't deserve your money.

Shoudl do really... And they don't sell Engls either... In fact I've never ever seen a music shop with one in....
PS I would be interested to try that Engl.
Hamer USA Chapparal Custom, scalloped fretboard & Sustainiac
Hamer USA Chapparal Elite, Dragon Snakeskin finish
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Mesa 50/50 Stereo Power Amp
Laney 4x12 Cab
I would.

Try giving these guys a ring.

http://www.synergydistribution.co.uk/index2.htm