On my cheaper guitar i was wondering how easy it is to conver the glossy black finish to a matt black finish? I'm more into the matt finish (love it on my LTD) because it feels more apart of me image wise and also just generally, like it almost blends in with the clothes i wear rather then blinding people with shiney colours.

So is there a simple way to do it or is it one of them sand everything down and respray jobs that just isn't worth it?

im genuinly sorry if this gets posted alot, i have looked through heaps of the pages on this topic.
Marty
if you can sand evenly you can use 400 grit wet sandpaper to take the gloss down, but good luck getting it even...... prolly a repaint is in order.
Refinish? Are you mad? It's simple to do this.

1. Get some fine or ultra fine steel wool from your local hardware shop (3M is good and also synthetic)

2. Take all of the hardware (bridge etc) off your guitar and set them aside

3. Make 2 or 3 passes of the whole body applying a fair amount of pressure. Make sure not to concentrate on one particular area as this will stand out later on. Jyst give her a bit of elbow grease!

4. Wipe away all the paint dust and you will have a satin finish guitar.

I've done this on all my basses. Much easier to keep them when u don't have to worry about fingerprints all the time

Go for it! Hope I've helped
Warwick Streamer Stage II
1973 Fender Jazz Bass
Ibanez SRX500
Custom Squier Fretless
Ampeg SVT4PRO Amp
Ampeg SVT15E Cabinet
Ampeg SVT210E Cabinet
Hartke Kickback 12 Combo

Last edited by acidbass on 13-13-2004 at 13:13AM
You're either going to have to spray 6-8 coats of flat clear over the existing finish, & then buff it out or you can rub the body down with #0000 steel wool. The steel wool method works, but up close you can see a lot of the micro scratches.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Quote by AlGeeEater
steel wool method works, but up close you can see a lot of the micro scratches.

Chris

I think this is what a satin finish is all about really. If you want a factory job, buy a factory made guitar. I love the character that my basses have with a flat finish.
Warwick Streamer Stage II
1973 Fender Jazz Bass
Ibanez SRX500
Custom Squier Fretless
Ampeg SVT4PRO Amp
Ampeg SVT15E Cabinet
Ampeg SVT210E Cabinet
Hartke Kickback 12 Combo

Last edited by acidbass on 13-13-2004 at 13:13AM
thanks guys! i'll take all your suggestions to perspective when i do do it - acidbass - good to hear that some1 else is a fan of the matt/satin finish! I'll try and be real even with it (use a metronome lol). One more question - acidbass - do you use anything to protect it once you've sanded it down or is it good as it is?
Marty
Quote by acidbass
I think this is what a satin finish is all about really. If you want a factory job, buy a factory made guitar. I love the character that my basses have with a flat finish.

Factory matte or flat finishes aren't rubbed down with steel wool, there's an additive(usually called a flattening agent) mixed in with the clear coat that reflects lightwaves differently, which gives it that de-glossed look. They get treated & buffed out the same as regular gloss finishes.

'Real' satin finishes you cannot see any scratches or defects.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
so do i need to refinish it in anyway wants i've sandpapered the gloss off? This is on my cheapo moddorific guitar, so it's not like i'm afraid of screwing things up - it's a learning process.
Marty
Quote by acidbass
Refinish? Are you mad? It's simple to do this.

1. Get some fine or ultra fine steel wool from your local hardware shop (3M is good and also synthetic)

2. Take all of the hardware (bridge etc) off your guitar and set them aside

3. Make 2 or 3 passes of the whole body applying a fair amount of pressure. Make sure not to concentrate on one particular area as this will stand out later on. Jyst give her a bit of elbow grease!

4. Wipe away all the paint dust and you will have a satin finish guitar.

I've done this on all my basses. Much easier to keep them when u don't have to worry about fingerprints all the time

Go for it! Hope I've helped

good advice..
Love, Peace 'N Rock to you all!
Sorry for my bad english, I'm danish
No, you don't need to refinish it, just rub it down with steel wool. BTW, the micro fiber scratches tend to catch a lot of dust, so you'll notice a lot more dust collects on the finish of your guitar, which is no big deal really, just wipe it down with a polishing cloth. Just rub it down with steel wool and be done with it!

Although, refinishing is a lot of fun, and a good learning experience.

Chris
thank you Acidbass & AlgeeEater so much! it's hard to get good advice on these forums sometimes but uve both definately given it. I might refresh this topic after the weekend once the mods done to tell you how it went.
Marty
acidbass...you mind posting a pic or 2 of your refinished basses? maybe one from far and one up real close? thanks
Nicks and dents are battle scars...they give a guitar history.

Quote by Homer Simpson
When you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.