Topic says it all, I am looking for a tube amp for bedroom use, approx 1500 dollars to spend (although thats alot of money :P) I would like to get a very good amp that i can get metallica, randy rhoads, and basically any other distorted tones, clean isnt very important, as long as it doesnt suck! Thanks
hot rod deville or deluxe
-Vox 100 VTH head
-Crate 4x12 cab

-Line 6 Spider III 75w

Epiphone Les Paul

Member # 17 of Metallica Mensa
Buy a microcube. Youll pay much, much less
I can speak German. Ha.
wait, are the cubes tube driven?
-Vox 100 VTH head
-Crate 4x12 cab

-Line 6 Spider III 75w

Epiphone Les Paul

yes, thats what i thought
-Vox 100 VTH head
-Crate 4x12 cab

-Line 6 Spider III 75w

Epiphone Les Paul

$1500 budget....Cube? Nah.
You can get a pretty descent tube combo with that. Although I can't reccomend any.
These go to eleven...
if that's $1500USD, you have a lot of options. The Mark IV combo or head is under that used, and it's a very versatile amp. Randy used Marshall, while I associate more of a Mesa sound with Metallica after MOP. Maybe a used DSL combo or JCM of some kind if you wanted Marshall. Very nice amps, but not quite as versatile as the Mark, and they really need some volume level before they start sounding sweet. None are really bedroom amps however, although, the Mark IV has power settings of 30W, 55W, 70W and 85W, so it can be used that way easier. It's still pretty loud even on 30W though. The Genz Benz El Diablo might be something to consider also, Crunchmeister has some great clips covering Metallica and some Slayer with it, so it can hit both tones from what I can tell. I've also heard some great clips of the ENGL Screamer 50. They have clips over at rocksolid amps. http://rocksolidamps.com/sounds.php . The Peavey 5150/6505 is also one of my favorite lower priced tube amps. Great OD/distortion, although some don't like it's cleans. The combo can be had for under $500 used if you can use eBay. Again, still very loud for bedrooms at 60W however. If you want great tube OD for metal, it's hard to find a lot of low wattage amps.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Sep 1, 2006,
Yea, thats the problem with tube amps All so high watt. Thanks so much for your help guys. I'll look into those suggestions!
I suggest the Fender Twin Reverb or possibly a Marshall JCM combo...

The fender gets the greatest cleans I have ever heard. You can get any sound out of it depending on what pedals you run through it.
~The Gear~
Schecter Hellraiser
Ibanez RG 550
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960 4x12
VHT Two/Fifty/Two
ADA-MP1
Eventide Eclipse
Dr Z mini Z with an OD pedal?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Quote by beau05
I'd say country or bluegrass would be pretty difficult, for being inbred is a pre-requisite
for 1500$...i would get a tube combo...not a head or halfstack or anything...but its ur choice.

I have a fender Deville, which is a 2x 12 (and by the way, i love reverb now, never tried it before, haha). And i got my fender deville for 500$
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial