I read a Tom Morello interview a little bit ago and some of the questions asked him about his approaches to recording on their record Out of Exile, which at the time of the interview was new. ANyway, MOrello stated that a new sound he had brought to Audioslave was a Les Paul that he tuned down to drop B. Ive been trying to get my LP to stay in drop B, but i think i might need different strings becuase the ones i have dont hold very well and sound kinda weak. As well as new strings im considering new pickups but i havent decided on that yet. So my two questions are

What kind of strings should i get to tune my LP down to drop B?

Should i swap out my pickups? (I have an Epi Les Paul Custom and have been considering new ones inorder to beef up the sound of the guitar).
Gear

Soon to have Carvin California Carved Top
Fender MIM Strat (Warthog, Spotlight, Condor)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
11's or maybe even 12's if you have strong hands.

but beware, 12's will destroy your nut.

as for p/u's seymour duncans, emg's if you play metal, bill lawrence are nice too.

and if you're a rich mofo then look at bareknuckle pickups.
New pick ups area good idea for an epi les paul. Try seymor duncans.
hi mate, i use 11s and i tune to Db and they do it fine, could try 12s or if you are as hard as zakk wylde try 13s. but watch your nut, i dont need to worry coz mine r brass!! hahahaha, no but really, do watch out!
GEAR

ESP LTD Viper 400 with EMG 81s
Jackson Dinky DXMG with EMG 81/85
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 DSP
Ashdown Fallen Angel Cab 120W 4X12
Keeley Modded SD-1 Overdrive
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Noise gate (cheap)
EQ (cheap)
if i use 10s or 11s are they gonna damage the nut at all? Also does anyone know what kind of Les Paul Morello uses? I can always just get the stock Gibson pickups in whatever he has
Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
If you're just dropping the low E to B, then all you need to change is the low E string...all the rest can remain the same guage. Any good guitar store should have a pretty good supply of individual strings available...just go pick up a string that falls somewhere in the .054 - .060 range and that should do the trick. If that's too hard, just buy a 7 string set and delete the E string and use the heavier 7th string as your 6th.
If you want to tune down to drop B then use ernie ball heavys 11-56. I use these for standard tuning all the way down to drop A so these strings should be good for what your looking for. As for pick ups you don't need to swap them for a lower tuning but if you want to go with Seymour Duncans. To warn you if you only have one guitar and using it for all tuning having it higher than 1 step down will beat on your fingers for a while cause they are so thick for using standard, but your fingers will strengthen up and deffinetely get use to it.
Last edited by soilworker64 at Sep 1, 2006,
Thanks everyone for the advice, i have another question, but i regards the way you play. What kind of chord shapes do you use when playing drop B or B E D G B E tunings?
Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
well for the B and the E strings you can just do a power chord shape and its a normal power chord, On the E and D strings you can do a power chord shape and its an octave chord, theres a Allot you can play around with, and for a good song thats in drop B, Parabola from tool,
sweet, thanks for the advice on chord shapes.. does anyone have any other suggestions for songs in drop B?
Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic