Look, is it me or is everyone here concerned with shredding and how fast you can play?
It seems every second "I'm thinking of buying a guitar I like styles such as blah blah" thread has got someone saying "Oh, seriously get EMG pickups, they rox", even if the styles mentioned were blues and country?

Who else appreciates playing the guitar to create music rather than testing their speed skills?

(I'm not denying that shredding isn't music, but you get the general gist"
Original Songs by IggyG:
Hit My Name!
you foo!'s dont even know what shred is ? have you ever actaully listen to a 'shred' ablum ?
i figure out tricky evil sounding rythmns that most of the time are slow. my lead player can worry about about speed and fast ****.
Quote by im_hungry
you foo!'s dont even know what shred is ? have you ever actaully listen to a 'shred' ablum ?

Yes, and they bored the living ****e out of me.
Quote by IggyG
Look, is it me or is everyone here concerned with shredding and how fast you can play?

Haha. No, its not you. I'm not sure what most are concerned with, but I think it
goes something like this:

How can I play guitar like a Star in the quickest way possible, doing the least
amount of work, with the least amount of learning and what equipment do I
need to do that so it will (hopefully) cover up my crappy playing?

I think it goes something like that as far as I've observed.
Quote by edg
Haha. No, its not you. I'm not sure what most are concerned with, but I think it
goes something like this:

How can I play guitar like a Star in the quickest way possible, doing the least
amount of work, with the least amount of learning and what equipment do I
need to do that so it will (hopefully) cover up my crappy playing?

I think it goes something like that as far as I've observed.

well said.
It's not how fast you play, it's the way you play. Anybody can play a guitar fast. You have to put your heart into it, that's what makes people want to listen to you. Like the great guitar gods Gilmour, Hendrix, Paige, Mae, Dime Bag, and Rhodes.

Don't try to make yourself sound like everyone else, get your own sound. Don't be like, "Oh, it's in style to play this way....". Find a variety. Stay fresh, stay welcoming, be open.
Most of the people who hate shred are people who aren't good enough to shred. Shred is just another type of music that sounds good to some people, and bad to others. Personally, I think the whirlwind of speed and technicality that is shred sounds very good, because I tend to like very fast music (it's not a coincidence that I also love death metal and grindcore). All music is is sounds that are good to the ear, and shred is simply a very fast and technical variation of that that is geared toward guitarists who can appreciate that kind of music. Playing with "feeling" and "expression" is worthless if it sounds like crap. Obviously, there are legions of amazing guitarists who follow that route and made timeless music, but many who chose the path of shred are equally talented and make music that is just as good.
Quote by rich_sg
I think WW3 (if it happens) should be settled on Counter-Strike

USA: Time to own me some communism, take that China!
China: NOOO! You bastaaaaad! I knife you much good, yes yes?
UK: STFU n00bz0rs.
Russia: HE IZ DEFUZING ZE BOMB!
I'm not a fan of shred. But, I've observed this around here: Shred -- the ability to
play really fast -- is a skill that requires years of work along with EXTREMELY good
practice skills. Unless you are prodigy which almost no one is.

Yet, around here we find mostly 16 year old kids with maybe a few years (at best) of
experience claiming they're "shredding" all the time. How can this be? Well, it
can't. They are either fooling themselves or trying to fool everyone else. I doubt
there are any prodigies around, and most of what I've seen indicates almost none
have good practice skills. Also, I've pretty much yet to hear a single recording made
by anyone of the "shred crew" that makes a lot of grandiose claims on the forums.

So, believe none of what you read here and half of what you hear....
Quote by IggyG
It seems every second "I'm thinking of buying a guitar I like styles such as blah blah" thread has got someone saying "Oh, seriously get EMG pickups, they rox", even if the styles mentioned were blues and country?

Who else appreciates playing the guitar to create music rather than testing their speed skills?

(I'm not denying that shredding isn't music, but you get the general gist"

I don't think like that, speed has nothing to do with it for me.
Yeah - I've noticed this as well. The UG forum group is a little shredcentric. I've nothing against shredding, shredding sounds great. But it's just a small fraction of what you can do with a guitar - there's so many other great sounding things you can do as well. Same old thing over and over and over again gets dull. Variety is the spice of life.
I like a lot of 'shred' type stuff, but it does get boring quickly unless done tastefully, which is rather rare. And yes, many people on these forums lie about their abilities which is pretty shallow tbh. However, there are plenty of genuine people about that know their stuff, typically the regulars despite endless reams of repetitive and frankly stupid threads.
I don't think there are that many shredhead threads (heh) around, actually. There are a lot of "I need X guitar for X genres" threads, but that's what the forum is for. And really, you get more people saying not to get EMGs than you do recommending them.

You just need to find out who the knowledgable regulars (Crunchmeister, R_H_C_P etc) are and pay more attention to their posts. Because there are a fair few silly people in here, to put it lightly.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Shred is gd , and it isnt just about playing quickly (even though alot of it is), but its about create a unique and powerful sond, like singing with your guitar. Im not that gr8 a fan of it, and don't really care that much for it but you can't just slag it off coz u cant do it or dont see the point in it coz sum people do.

BTW any1 who claims that shed guitarists are the best guitarist are complete morons!!!! Paul Gilbert may b gr8 at guitar , but Gary Moore is equally gd , just not a shred!!!