Hi

Ive been playing electric guitar almost for about a year now on my Squier Stratocaster and Roland 10 watt Microcube and I feel like its not giving me the sound Im looking for..
Im looking for an amp between the price range of ?200 - ?400 (Euro's are almost the same as dollars..) Has an foot switch available and at least 30 watt

Im looking for an amp that has a great distortion channel and not so bad sounding clean channel.. the clean channel isnt a big issue..
Im planning on learning solo's and fingertapping so a high pitched sound is very welcome.
Id like to get the thrashy distortion sound like on the Kill 'Em All album of Metallica
and Slayer, oh and a bit of Nirvana would certainly not be bad!!

Thanks for any advice
Roland Cube 60 is your best bet.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Alot of people have recommended the Roland 60/30 watt amp..
Can it make me sound like Metallica's early albums and slayer type of stuff?
But also Jimi Hendrix's classic rock guitar sound?

And another stupid question, Does it have a distortion button? Cause the Microcube hasnt and that really pisses me off.. and has it a foot switch thingy available?

Thanks for your time
I'm selling a cube 60 for 260 + shipping. if you're interested shoot me a line at armor_ant@hotmail.com. I don't listen to metallica or slayer but I can get a good classic rock sound from it, as well as good hi gain stuff.
I have just read that the cube 60 has in built COSM effects..
My microcube also has these and its the reason why i want a new amp!
I hate them..
For your price range it's probably the best you can do.

Things to come:
I suggest looking into some of the lower wattage Randall G3 amps. I recently had the pleasure of trying the new RG series amps out and was blown away. The new mosfet valve dynamic power section in these amps is amazing. It doesn't make it sound like an all tube amp, but it sure makes it sound alot better than every solid state out there. I personally liked the G3 better than the all tube randall I tried.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG75G3-G3-Series-Guitar-Combo-Amp-?sku=480334
Rockybo on Gwar: "What costumes? They're from fucking outer-space, you retard."
Well, I'm just back from visiting the local music shop and tried the Line 6 Spider ll with 60 watt and the Roland Cube 60..
I liked the 4 channels on the Spider an the insane mode, the full sound and the foot switch thingy and the clean channel wasnt so bad as people told me neither did it sounded digital to me..
The Cube though was nice bit didn't sound very alive to me.. a bit boring imo. It sounded just like my microcube!

So what do you pro's think, should I go for the Spider? Im still a bit insecure cause its a lot of money to me and there's so much choice!!
^dude it's all your personal preference. Go with what you like better. If you want the spyder, why should any of us stop you?

Things to come:
Spyder's al the way man, hell I have a 210 dude, those things are great man, I recommend it.
Your right
Im just wondering if there isnt like this super metal amp out there for a low price, im just scared that I'll regret buying the spider since there are such bad comments about it..

So if anyone knows a nice amp that my little shop will probably have other than the spider just let me know.
Well unfortunately to get the better metal amps you'd have to spend a tad more. So if this is all you can afford now and this is what you like, go for it.

Things to come:
Well.. of what price range are you talking? I have like ?500 now.. and dont wanna go higher than ?350/400 cause.. im also kinda saving up for a Gibson Flying V
What kind of sound does the Gibson Flying V actually have? (Hehe no, Im not gonna be so insecure about buying that guitar cause I fell in love with it)
So you're buying a Gibson without trying it? Real clever.

Stay away from both Cubes and Spiders. Neither of them are that good.

Take a look at some Randall combos. And maybe the Hughes & Kettner matrix 100.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Hey.. Of course Im gonna try the guitar! But it wont be happening soon, cause it will take a pretty long while before I get such an amount of money (?1079 or something?)

I will see if I can find a Randall and Hughes & Kettner somewhere in the neighbourhood
You might want to consider a peavey XXX if you could score a good deal on ebay.....

Otherwise, if you like the spider, go for it!

A lot of tone is in the fingers......with some careful Eqing, I got a spider soudning pretty damn good last time I was at GC!
Yeah, there are some e-bay like dutch sites around which offer Amps..
Ill take a look there, but I cant try the amps out then , Unless I go to a musicshop and try it there of course
roland RG200

its a 200watt 2x12 my cousin has one and it rocks for a solid state amp - saying that he payed like £400 but ebay should do one cheeper

edit: £400
gear4music indianapolis // Blackstar HT-1R Metal
Well, I think im gonna go for the 75 Watt Spider II
Thanks for you advices
Well yesterday I bought the Spider II and im liking it more and more..
though Im wondering if anyone knows a nice setting of the knobs to get an Guns 'n Roses sound.. You know that classic rock sound..
i've heard nothing but greatness from the Randall G3's and Hughes and Kettner Matrix's, and that's rare for solidstates
im checking both of them out whenever i can get up to guitar center if they have them
Nooooooooooooo you bought the spider.... What you really needed was a humbucker in your Strat. I'm assuming that it's SSS of course.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by Cizzie
Well.. of what price range are you talking? I have like ?500 now.. and dont wanna go higher than ?350/400 cause.. im also kinda saving up for a Gibson Flying V
What kind of sound does the Gibson Flying V actually have? (Hehe no, Im not gonna be so insecure about buying that guitar cause I fell in love with it)

Amp > Guitar. If you get a Gibson Flying V and put it on a shitty amp, the sound will not be too good....If you REALLY want that Flying V, then you should just save so more money for an amp.
Quote by Cizzie
Well yesterday I bought the Spider II and im liking it more and more..
though Im wondering if anyone knows a nice setting of the knobs to get an Guns 'n Roses sound.. You know that classic rock sound..

Go check the amp settings fourm, it has great advice on the settings for all bands. It does have a Slash tone too. I'll go copy and paste it here.

Slash
Gain - 6.5
Treble - 4.5
Mid - 7
Bass - 7
Presence ? 8

Courtesy of WlCmToTheJungle
Last edited by Dilweed at Sep 9, 2006,