Page 1 of 2
Ok, so you came to this thread *surprised*.
Right now I have a Fender Fat Strat with a vintage trem (not the best for shred, but it does alright).

I'm looking to buy a guitar that can handle shredding. Here's what I'm looking for:

1. First and foremost, fast play! (Low action, smooth fretboard)
2. Floyd Rose Original or Copy.
3. Strat style body.
4. HH pickup config or HSH.

My price range is under $2000. I am considering Ibanez as a brand, maybe the RG1570mirageblue, but tell me what you think!
My Guitar
>Ibanez RG7620 (7 string)

Originally Posted by Outside Octaves
... ah, the bliss of ignorience!
what amp do you use? anyway check out ESP guitars with that budget you could probably afford a ESP M-II with EMGs (81 & 81) or Seymour Duncans (JB & 59) and either in bolt on or neck thru
RG1570, RG520, LTD M-1000, H-1000, MH-1000, and the rest for an amp, if you current one sucks.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
RG1570, RG520, LTD M-1000, H-1000, MH-1000, and the rest for an amp, if you current one sucks.

you've got to be joking me right. the guys budget is 2000 i think he can look at ESP guitars now not LTD
He wants a shred guitar to me thats indicative of a slim fast neck which the ESP's dont have. The Kings of shred Satch, Gambale, Vinnie Moore, Jason Becker and Vai dont use Ibanez by coincidence. Steve Morse and Petrucci put thier eggs in Music Man's basket for some reason (prob better endorsement deals) though after playing both I like Petrucci's Ibanez sig way better than the Music Man
Jason Becker didn't use Ibanez, he used Carvin. Or at least all the guitars i've ever seen him with are Carvins...
^You're right about that. I would get a Carvin, but their bodies are too fat for me.
I'm definitely not looking at ESP's (or LTD's for that matter). Thanke for comments though.
My Guitar

Well the RG1570 is great value for money and covers all your specs (the rosewood fingerboard is also very nice for shreddy techniques), the pickups just need upgrading desperately, but if i were you i'd find a luthier and see what they can build for you. Although i'm not sure how much $2000 will get you.
what kind of amp do you have? if its a good one get an ibanez RG1570 and drop some hard-ass pups in it.
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
uhhh...CAPARISON!!!!
As I see the ignorance of humanity engulfing reason and sanity like a wave of perpetual defeat and misery I ask myself, when the hell is everyone going to shut up and actually think?
How come when people come in here and go "I love to shred on guitar so what kind should I get?" I don't believe for one minute that they can shred. I would think some one whos played guitar for long enough that they can shred would know quite a bit about guitars and which are better, better than people here would know, no offense to anyone. Sorry to pick on you but Ive seen so many of these posts about how people love shredding yet know nothing about what kind of guitar to get. Anyway for a guitar for speed id go Ibanez or Caparison, some Jacksons and ESP's would be good to. If your looking for an amp go around and looked at some used one and try peavy and krank is nice to.
Quote by codybcool
Jason Becker didn't use Ibanez, he used Carvin. Or at least all the guitars i've ever seen him with are Carvins...

Hes used both, ive seen vids of him using ibanez.
TS, RG1570 is an EXCELLENT choice.

Upper end ESP and Jackson SOLOISTS are good too.

At this point in the price range, its all preference.

Although, im gonna say Ibanez J-Custom.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by soilworker64
How come when people come in here and go "I love to shred on guitar so what kind should I get?" I don't believe for one minute that they can shred. I would think some one whos played guitar for long enough that they can shred would know quite a bit about guitars and which are better, better than people here would know, no offense to anyone. Sorry to pick on you but Ive seen so many of these posts about how people love shredding yet know nothing about what kind of guitar to get. Anyway for a guitar for speed id go Ibanez or Caparison, some Jacksons and ESP's would be good to. If your looking for an amp go around and looked at some used one and try peavy and krank is nice to.

Why on the world would you say that? You've never seen them play, you have not the slightest knowledge about their guitar abilities. I think you should stfu

It doesnt take 10 ****ing years to shred.

All you need is a metronome and a few years of playing.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
screw Ibanez, I find Jacksons to be far superior in terms of tone and playability for shred. get an RR3 if you like the shape, get high end dinky if you like that shape.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
^ Hmm

Dinky for 700
Ibanez for 700

Ibanez has Edge pro, jackson has a **** lfr

Ibanez has aanj, jackson has standard block neck joint

Ibanez has thinner more comfy neck, jackson.............. doesnt

Suit your self

I like jacksons as well, ESPECIALLY soloists, but wheni comes down to it i prefer ibanez or carvin.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by YYZ
$2000? American? Christ man, buy this
http://www.ibanezrules.com/new/rgt220h.htm

http://www.umenaka.com/syasin/syasin/Ibz%20RGT220H%20SOL.50.jpg

That is definitely my next guitar.

Not to sound noobish, but does the RG220 come in different colors? I don't like the wood finish, too Herman Li lol
My Guitar

^ Nope, either mahogony or ash.

I love natural colors, that would be my choice for a guitar if i were to buy one today.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
PRS makes some amazing guitars for shred/soloing/Metal. Check them out. I like the look of their 24 frets. Only they dont have Floyd Roses in them...
yeah if you dont mind not having a trem, then get a PRS they are amazing guitars, and you can afford one.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
God, if you've got $2000 get a Jackson RR1 or ESP SV (if you like V's), or Ibanez JEM.

A Parker Fly (if you can find a used one for that price) would be an incredible guitar also.
Quote by jonny 2bags
Hitler probably played a cheap Hondo strat through a solid state 10 watt Ross amp and could'nt pull off a simple pentatonic scale to save his Reich.
Quote by Cone 21
uhhh...CAPARISON!!!!

yeh get a Caparison Horus its real nice 27 frets mate. and about the ESP SV Standard yeh if you can find them then get that best upper fret access ever for sure.
I only found one dealer for Caparison in the US, and its in New York...
Are there any places closer to the Midwest US that I could buy one?
Also, if I were to get a J-Custom, where could I find one?
My Guitar

Quote by CustomCustom
He wants a shred guitar to me thats indicative of a slim fast neck which the ESP's dont have. The Kings of shred Satch, Gambale, Vinnie Moore, Jason Becker and Vai dont use Ibanez by coincidence. Steve Morse and Petrucci put thier eggs in Music Man's basket for some reason (prob better endorsement deals) though after playing both I like Petrucci's Ibanez sig way better than the Music Man

The reason is probably because the guitars are comfortable for them to play. You like the Ibanez better, they like the music man better.
High as tits
dude just get a jem if you have that much to blow
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Quote by 5150)Ed(5150
Not to sound noobish, but does the RG220 come in different colors? I don't like the wood finish, too Herman Li lol

Yea, I never used to like it either. Try a JEM then, their almost the same and you'd probably like the colours.
Quote by 5150)Ed(5150

Also, if I were to get a J-Custom, where could I find one?

Sadly, unless its used, somewhere in Japan
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
i reccomend the jackson sl3 soloist. It's got low action, a Licensed floyd(just as good if not better compared to original) and a low pricetag.

here is the link to the site. You can check the specs. also if you buy this guitar than i reccomend either samash or musiciansfriend.
Quote by rooster456
Guitars will bring girlfriends. Girlfriends won't bring guitars.

Because footstools are cool UG's Classical Guitarists
pm Marmoseti or Confusius to join
J-customs are only available in Europe and Japan, if you get it over the states..... that guitar will be as much as a porsch lol.

Why do ppl reccommend 400 dollar guitars where he can get a guitar for 2000 dollars. That shows me taht people on UG just listen to peoples saying on this forum and just go with the flow on it.....
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
What's wrong with Jackson cheap Dinky's trems again ??

Cuz I'm planning on trading my Fender Telecaster FMT (pup output and neck reasons) for the cheap Dinky, it has Duncan Designed pups, and a tremolo ?? Any recs ??
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
"At this point in the price range, its all preference."

Exactely, there alot of nonsense spoken on this forum.
JEM's, Jacksons, ESP's whatever the top ones all rule.

Malmsteen shreds like f**k and he uses old skool Strats with single coils.
Hamer USA Chapparal Custom, scalloped fretboard & Sustainiac
Hamer USA Chapparal Elite, Dragon Snakeskin finish
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Mesa 50/50 Stereo Power Amp
Laney 4x12 Cab
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
screw Ibanez, I find Jacksons to be far superior in terms of tone and playability for shred. get an RR3 if you like the shape, get high end dinky if you like that shape.

i reckon you hit the nail on the head with the first sentance, but lost the plot on the second. this guy said hes spending about $2000

get a Jackson SL1
Page 1 of 2