It does seem that I'm genuinely alone on here in hating his music; I find it massively derivative, cheesy and unnecessarily show-offy. Musical wanking in short. I'm not quesioning his proficiency as a guitarist, but his music just does absolutely nothing for me. Personally, I find that Blind Willie McTell can say more in one bar than Stevie Ray Vaughn in an entire song. Don't suppose anyone agrees?
I'd say that was a bit extreme. When Stevie was on form, he was breathtaking. However, I do agree that from time to time he was prone to overplaying.
Encore God & Asomodai- UG JHS Brotherhood

Encore God: fighting UG Zeppelin-centrism since 2002.

No.
Quote by Kartman

Way to go, guitar_man_guy!

(You should sig me)

Co-Founder of the 'Heretics And/Or Killers'(Protest the Hero Fan Club) P.M Me or T0xicitY to join!
Quote by SRV Jr
mann you suck!!! Stevie Ray Vaughan was/is the best blues player ever!!!i dont think you ever ahve heard any SRV at all!!!

And I don't think you have a very wide knowledge of blues music.

I appriciate his guitar playing and think he's written and performed some great songs. I don't know where you got the idea that he's too cheesy or showoffy, but I think he's a great guitarist. Sure, he kept it simple, but he was still amazing.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
He ****ing kicks ass, but I really don't like his later work ('In step', for example).
'Family style' is also quite horrible (except for the 'Telephone song').
i disagree with you. i believe, and as always this is all opinion which = meaningless but, i believe that he was the best blues player of all time. i think he wrote some amazing blues songs but i do not think he was the best musical writer or anything of that nature. as always you are entitled to your opinion but i definately think you are on an uphill battle against the masses
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
I absolutely love Stevie Ray Vaughn.
Quote by Zero-Hartman

If I can't masturbate to childrens cartoons then this country isn't great.
Quote by mr_hankey
He ****ing kicks ass, but I really don't like his later work ('In step', for example).
'Family style' is also quite horrible (except for the 'Telephone song').

If that was the album with 'Long Way from Home' on it, then that's a good song too.

I'm inclined to agree that SRV can be a bit much, and it's a sad thing that he too often overshadows the entire genre for your average person.
Don't be derivative. Explore...
Quote by INDUSTRIALMETAL
I'm inclined to agree that SRV can be a bit much, and it's a sad thing that he too often overshadows the entire genre for your average person.

That's a fair comment. It's SRV and Eric Clapton all the way for most people.

Well, he's very talented (anyone who disagrees with that is obviously retarded), but I know what you mean. He just doesn't do it for me either. And I do agree with him overdoing solos and whatnot a bit every once in a while.
Hai UG!
Hmmm, I'd say your ignorant, with little knowledge about music for saying that. If you like the blues, how can you not like SRV? If you HATE SRV, that is just an ignorant thing to say. He was a great musician, he had great passion, he learned from listening to the best. How can't you at least like some of his music, or at least respect the music? Thrashing SRV won't go well for you on these boards.
My Music
[thread="475365"]My Fender Strat[/thread]
Starter of the Caught my Guitar on Fire club.
Quote by CloudOne
Hmmm, I'd say your ignorant, with little knowledge about music for saying that. If you like the blues, how can you not like SRV? If you HATE SRV, that is just an ignorant thing to say. He was a great musician, he had great passion, he learned from listening to the best. How can't you at least like some of his music, or at least respect the music? Thrashing SRV won't go well for you on these boards.

This kind of comment usually does not sit well at these boards! A person has expressed their opinion, and then you have expressed your opinion. However, saying this person is ignorant for their opinion is a tad pathetic and reflects your inexperience with mature conversation. No one in this thread is bashing SRV's talent or passion, they are all simply stating they find his overall effort to not be to their liking.
Don't be derivative. Explore...
The guy still deserves respect. And it will sit well, because I am the ****in blues
My Music
[thread="475365"]My Fender Strat[/thread]
Starter of the Caught my Guitar on Fire club.