Page 1 of 2
Someon eis arguing with me that the Dead Kennedys betrayed their ideals of punk in the 80s WITH Jello. He claims they would tour with higher selling support bands and also hire top quality designers to do their album covers.

Their album covers are hardly extraordinary.

I smell bs.

Can anyone clear this up. Any idea of the support acts and sales and the artists? Thanks.

I have the artists of the albums Winston Smith: definitely not big and Anne something or other who is big now I dunno about then, but she barely did anything, she shared on one.

And another one being john Yates who, although a little bigger now having drawn for green day worked for alternative tentacles for ten years BEFORE he was any bigger.
Last edited by ss311 at Sep 1, 2006,
I would clear it up... if you deleted your other post.
Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association
I'm pretty sure that Raymond Pettibone did the "obscene" picture that Jello went to court over. He's pretty well known, at least in the punk community.
that was Giger the Oscar winning Swiss Artist. That was album artwork though and that was ok, that was a meaningful pic and wasn't doing anything for them commercially.
i thought it all started when jello didnt want holiday in cambodia to be in a levis commercial
i don't know, but i do know that jello got jumped in '94 by people who thought he was a sell out.
So someone is finally ready for the truth about Jello.
Okay, but you're not gonna like it......

http://www.deadkennedysnews.com/art022802.htm

Jello Biafra
by George Tabb

I've been reading a lot about how "true fans" are really p*ssed off because the major songwriter and singer is not involved and not making a dime. And do you know where I've been reading about this, besides alt.music.punk?

Jello's own website. Alternativetentacles.com. Oh, it's great reading. Jello claims his old band playing without him is just "karaoke," and no one should waste their money on them or their rereleased CDs.

And it makes me smile. Actually, no, it makes me laugh.

That f*cking pussy, who allegedly stole money from his own band by not paying them their fair share, is now bitching about the band's right to make a living? He thinks they're selling out the Dead Kennedys and betraying what they stood for? He was so high and mighty for not allowing the band to license its music for a jeans commercial? F*ck you, pussy.

Let me tell you a little story. About Mr. Jello "Anarchy for Sale" Biafra.

Way back in the 80s, when I was a young 'un playing the punk rock, I loved Jello and what he stood for. I remember his letting my first band, Roach Motel, open for him in Tampa, and the wonderful riot that ensued. It was great.

Later, I joined an outfit called the False Prophets, and we signed to Jello's label, Alternative Tentacles. The first album, which I did not play on, went off without a hitch. The second, which was produced by Giorgio Gomelsky, had some problems. Not with us, but with Jello.

At the time, he claimed we were trying to "sell out," because we had a horn section featuring James White from the Contortions, and had Gordon Gano singing backup. Then he gets on my case because I did an MTV commercial where I banged a stupid gong. I did it because I got to paint False Prophets on the back of my jacket, giving my band, and his label, some free publicity.

But oh no. Mr. "I just did an underwear layout in Spin" claimed I was selling out the music, the kids and the scene. Here was this guy I really admired telling me I was destroying a scene I helped create, while advertising his own records in magazines worldwide. I even helped hook him up with some big publications where he could get the word out, and the only words that got out were Jello Biafra. Not False Prophets, not Alice Donut, not the other bands on his freaking label.

Okay, so he's a bit self-centered. And he sounds like Tennessee Tuxedo. But then he started that whole Legal Defense Fund thing for free speech. And kids gave him money left and right.

And what did he do with that money? I dunno. But allegedly he didn't pay his band, hence the rereleases on Manifesto.

Recently I was checking out his website, and lo and behold, he's started another legal defense fund. This time to help fight his ex-band members for rereleasing the records, and to stop them from touring with a new singer-Brandon Cruz, formerly of the great Dr. Know, but better known as the child actor who played Eddie on The Courtship of Eddie's Father.

How great is that? And it just gets better. Brandon is donating part of his proceeds to a Hollywood Child Actor's fund!

Meanwhile, Jello is collecting money from the kids again (now he even takes credit cards and Paypal) to help him fight off his evil old friends, who he says are backed by "big time" lawyers who formerly defended Bill Graham.

Poor Jello. It was nice when he went up against the PMRC, even if it was just to promote Jello Biafra, but now, well, f*ck him.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
sorry for a triple post but that's ruined him for me, it's like Santa isn't real.
I don't know enough about the Dead Kennedys' lawsuit to pass judgment on Jello. (Although It doesn't look good for Mr. Biafra)

I do, however, know that Jello Biafra could start molesting children and I'd still consider "Fresh Fruit" to be one of the most fun Half Hours of music around.
Quote by Live_Fast_DieGG
yeah dude but u cant believe everything you read. **** look at the bible.

The bible is pretty good in my eyes.
Quote by ss311
The bible is pretty good in my eyes.

you wouldn't happen to be blind, now would you?
Quote by Ska Wars
you wouldn't happen to be blind, now would you?

There is nothing wrong with the bible. Just some of the people who read it.
I believe George Tabb over Biafra. He'll actually write you back when you write him.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
that's when i realised fat mike was a turd. he didn't write back to me.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
There is nothing wrong with the bible. Just some of the people who read it.

Look at that, an educated response. Kudos to Iluvpowerchords.
Well, that article seems pretty skewed to me. Instead of describing Jello's actions and allowing us to draw our own conclusions, it paints his actions in a certain light. That influences readers opinions.
^ True, but if you look on the alternative tentacles website, the bit where Jello starts a fund to fight his band members, actually happens.

Not only that, but he describes the band as I exact quote "money uber alles", and at the end of his announcement, asks the kids for money too.
Here's something else to consider about Jello.
This 45 by Society Dog came out in 1981.

Does it look like... maybe... an album called Plastic Surgery Disasters, which was released in 1982?
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

Can't tell if you're being coy or if you haven't seen the Dead Kennedys album or what.
So, I'll post the 2 and then you'll see what I'm getting at.

Society Dog 45 sleeve from 1981

Dead Kennedy's "Plastic Surgery Disasters" sleeve from 1982

Get it now?
Quote by sargasm

Still not getting it...

I have the DK album. Is Society Dog good?
WTF?!?
You can't be this stupid.

Society Dog put out a 45 with that sleeve in 1981.
The Dead Kennedys ripped off Society Dogs graphics and used it for their album "Plastic Surgery Disasters in 1982.
Quote by sargasm

It is a famous picture isn't it?

And it's possible that dk didn't know about the record. (probably not true, i don't know)

But it is also very possible they stole it.
Are you sure they did it on purpose?
Jizz is where it is
Society Dog was from San Francisco, just like DK.

Jello knew what he was doing when he ripped that photo off, just as he knew what he was doing when he ripped the MC5 song "Sister Anne" off to make "Let's Lynch The Landlord".

In the words of Picasso......
"Good artists copy, great artists steal."
Quote by sargasm

Nemo I was most certainly joking The hysterics you were in, I had to tell you this time. The ld heart of yours may have given out!
Hehe.
Luckily I have a pacemaker, so as long as I stay away from magnets, my ticker will be fine.

For the record....I really don't get worked up about stuff, I just find it cathartic to vent.
It's not healthy to carry all that anger around, so I take it out on you pre-schoolers.
Quote by sargasm

I'm touched. Just please don't get near a magnet, would we on UG ever find out if someone on the punk forum died?

I always think about that actually.

Hm.
Quote by ss311
I'm touched. Just please don't get near a magnet, would we on UG ever find out if someone on the punk forum died?

I always think about that actually.

Hm.

Probably what happened to Mach_Baron/John Stabb.

ha.

If it's true then it's not funny
I don't really have a pacemaker, BTW.
My heart is strong like bull.

I don't think Mr. Stabb is dead.
He just got married and was in a film, but hasn't been doing music.
He may be incommunicado, due to not putting out any music or something like that.

I've often wondered about how we'd know if posters on here died, as well.
We should amend our wills, to make our relatives or whoever, post on here, if we die.
Now I just gotta get a will.

Hmmm....who will I leave my massive punk record/zine/poster/memorabilia collection to?
Oh wait, I forgot.
I'm having it buried with me.

Too bad, suckaz.
Quote by sargasm

Page 1 of 2