I've been practicing the "official" tab for Paranoid (Iommy version) for around a month or so now, and have been going at the Solo for a few weeks now. I've gotten stuck in the middle of it with various measures, right now I'm stuck on 44, but progressing.

I was just wondering, for those of you who have learned this piece through and through, up to being able to "perfectly" replicate Iommy's sounds... How long did it take you guys/galls to learn it? And how long did it take you to get it up to speed?

I can't wait to have this solo under me so I can really get to playing around with it and really "making it my own."

-Outside Octaves

Always thinking outside the octaves!
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Last edited by Outside Octaves at Sep 1, 2006,
I cant play the entire solo because i can never learn other peoples solos, so i just improv with my own ideas and re-create damn close to Iommi's sound since hes one of my Ffavorite guitarists and has taken me to wear i am today (well, took me into learning soloing and getting good, then i got into shred), but i still love jamming with Sabbath, it didnt take more than a few days to learn the whole song (i think it was all done in one day actually) then i learnt half the solo, and make up my own for the other half. I was up to speed almsot right away because its not a fast song, and i usually play alot of thrash metal and stuff so naturally, a slower song isnt that much of a challenge to get the right beats down, i always jammed with Megadeth's version of 'Paranoid' because its way fater, and really got my hands working, then i did the Sabbath one, and could really take my time and think about my picking because its slower, id ont know, just work at it and have a ****ing good time.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

Well yea man. Gota have a good time man. I love practicing now-a-days. (didn't at first, cause I was so short sighted and ill tempered. Now I'm the oposite.

****, the people on here probably remimber me as that idiot trying to learn to play manson style guitar (now I say Daisy style guitar, not to be confused with the actual guitar )... ****, I've matured by leaps and bounds sence then. Now adays, I listen to Frampton, Clapton (oh how that rhymed), Almand Brothers, Sabbath/Ozzy (not the 79+ sabbath/ all of ozzy's stuff), Metallica, Motley Crue, Eric Johnson, B.B. King (Riding with the King with Eric Clapton), Hendrix, and a ton of great, great music.

I started out so simple and simple minded in so many areas, amazing how much I've grown in 3 years time. Enough of me babbling about me...

I wouldn't say that this song is a "slow" song... It may seem slow-er to you because you play shread and other ultra-fast stuff... It's actually a moderatly speedily paced piece, at 164 bpm. If you want to name a great song slow, go call Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution (AC/DC) slow. . Iommi was actually preaty much the speed king of his day . (I need to check this for accuracy, going on the knowledge of a preaty musicly knowledged person). Not that I take offence at what you said, I just don't like it when people say stuff like that in the manor you did. Though freedom of speach is freedome of speach :P: .

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Last edited by Outside Octaves at Sep 1, 2006,
*Spelled Iommi

yeah, well no doubt, Sabbath does have some fast songs, just the original version of Paranoid isn't one of them, not in my book anyway, another great song by Sabbath to learn is Wicked World (if you havent learned it or heard it already), Black Sabbath are definatly always going ot be the kings of ****ing Heavy Metal, and i will worship the ground Iommi walks on until the day i die.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

Well, I guess I must say then that I havn't heard a faster sabbath piece than Paranoid. Of course, I havn't heard it all... all I have atm is the album Symptom of the Universe: the Origenal Black Sabbath (1970-1978). Paranoid is definatly one of the fastest on that album, if not THE fastest song on there. And yea, Iommi... lol @ myself on that one... tsk tsk.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

its all good, yeah they definatly have faster stuff...Symptom Of The Universe seems faster to me, and the solo in Computer God speeds way up at the end, and they also have alot of very slow dark riffs, Never Say Die is fast too, there are a few, Wicked World is a really easy song though, everything is easy about it, the last half of the solo is what i stopped at because i can never learn someoe elses full solo, and i find it more fun to improv my own and try to recreate Iommi's feel, instead of copying the exact notes he played. Stuff.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

Ah, well... true. It's all personal perception I guess... And yea, it's all good man. Sabbath is one of the best sounding bands out there, only the Ozzy Osborne Band beats them out in sound. Randy's sound is probably the best out of all of ozzy's guitarists, but then I have a friend who read in guitarworld that that setup of randy's was voted to be one of the all time worst sounds...

So that all comes down to preference really... I mean, what's better than recording your 100 watt through a closet? lol.

Yes, Sabbat and Ozzy Rule... Well, sabbath while ozzy was with them anyways... (I personally think that other dude can't sing and ruined the ENTIRE sabbath experience after ozzy left).

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
yeah i liked Randy, we had buttsecks alot

LAWL.

and i like both singers, Ozzy was better for there darker riffs, and Dio was better for the faster songs, its all preference on that too, alot of people dont like Dio. I like Ozzy more, but Dio is alright too.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn