Recently I've wanted to experiemnt with dropped-B tuning on my bass. I only want to drop my E string so my bass would be tuned B A D G allowing for some easy octaving on the E and A strings.

Now, I know this could go in the tuning thread however I'm not asking about how to downtune the string. I'm interested in possible damage to my bass and string guages. Will I have to adjust my truss rod and would the change in tension result in damage to my neck. Is there a particular string guage I can use to minimise loose-stringness and all that jazz.

*And the genii of U-G bass forum gather 'round*
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
you could try adding a B string where the E is. Just tell a luthier to file the nut and bridge saddles and obviously to check the tension of the neck. You could do it, but i recommend a luthier.

EDIT: read zparticus post, that's what I mean.
Last edited by watchingmefall at Sep 1, 2006,
I don't actually want to do that. I want to get the B without having to get a 5 string. I like 4 strings and I have stubby fingers so, y'know.
Quote by Sizzleby
Quote by thewho65

hes saying take out the low e string... and putting a string gauged for being tuned to b... such as on a 5 string... but instead putting it where your low e string is on your current guitar... so you dont ahve a floppy ass string...
Well your E-string will be super loose

I don't think it will be a problem truss rod wise. i don't know of anybody who's had their neck bend the other way due to lack of tension- even people who play in drop C regularly

YOu could always just replace the E with a B-string the thickness isn't that different and neither is the tension so i wouldn't forsee a problem and you could probably skip out a luthier

However i would redommend getting a set up just in case
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Now it's explained to me, I really like that idea. I feel like a total n00blet for asking but would that require any rejigging of the pups?
Quote by Sizzleby
Quote by thewho65

you can do it easy, just be sure that your neck can handle it, and my friend buys a 5 string set, and dosen't put the bottom G string on (d-string in the pack acts as the Gstring on the bass). If you do it like that, correct me if I'm wrong guys, you won't need to adjust anything. The string tension should be roughly the same.

*outposted *
the lesser known of the 4
if you STAY in a dropped tuning it wouldnt matter... as far as tension goes... but you decided to tune back to standard or soemthing then you might run into some problems...
Quote by 5thhorseman
you can do it easy, just be sure that your neck can handle it, and my friend buys a 5 string set, and dosen't put the bottom G string on (d-string in the pack acts as the Gstring on the bass). If you do it like that, correct me if I'm wrong guys, you won't need to adjust anything. The string tension should be roughly the same.

Well if I were to do that I'd keep the D and G strings. My style uses bass powerchords on the treble and this is still just an experiment, mind you. So I'd just scrap the E string. The question is, would that mean I'd have to get the setup down to fix rather than make minor adjustments?
Quote by Sizzleby
Quote by thewho65

yeah the pick ups shouldnt be a problem... but if you are worried about it... you can adjust them ur self... not sure waht kind of pickups you have... but all youd o is pluck the string and raise/lower the pickup witha screw driver til you get the sound you want... do that when i purchase a guitar... cause i like mine set up a specific way... so
Well if I did this I'd be modding my old Squier J-Bass (just ordered a Stingray 4 HH) which plays like a Fender J-Bass and has nicer sounding pups than any Squier I've ever played. I want to replace with bridge with a Badass bridge, replace the pups too and I might just get this B string put in too. It does sound like fun and if I get a luthier to do it then it shouldn't be a problem nor too difficult, right?

EDIT: and 5thhorseman, that's a great idea but I think I'd buy the string set but keep the E strings seperately. I have a nasty habit of breaking E strings so I'd keep it for the new bass which should be arriving next Saturday.
Quote by Sizzleby
Quote by thewho65

Last edited by Felkara at Sep 1, 2006,
I used to tune to drop B on my six string (G#, B, F#, B, E, A), and my E wasn't that floppy. Maybe it's the 35" scale, but I dealt with it just fine. Also, there will be no damage to your bass from tuning to drop B.
Your nut might not be filed big enough for the larger gauges. And even if you buy a 5 string pack, go for the heavy gauges since 5 strings have a 35" inch scale length, and a typical 4 string has 34".
Quote by Felkara
Well if I did this I'd be modding my old Squier J-Bass (just ordered a Stingray 4 HH) which plays like a Fender J-Bass and has nicer sounding pups than any Squier I've ever played. I want to replace with bridge with a Badass bridge, replace the pups too and I might just get this B string put in too. It does sound like fun and if I get a luthier to do it then it shouldn't be a problem nor too difficult, right?

EDIT: and 5thhorseman, that's a great idea but I think I'd buy the string set but keep the E strings seperately. I have a nasty habit of breaking E strings so I'd keep it for the new bass which should be arriving next Saturday.

Just wanted to put that idea out there for you or anybody else. Also, my friend has the same nasty habbit going back and forth in tunings.
the lesser known of the 4
In that case, what guage would people recommend for the B string then? Would a 125 guage be too light? I normally use 45 - 105...
Quote by Sizzleby
Quote by thewho65

Quote by grimreaper65
Your nut might not be filed big enough for the larger gauges. And even if you buy a 5 string pack, go for the heavy gauges since 5 strings have a 35" inch scale length, and a typical 4 string has 34".

my fiver is 34", as is the one i'm going to get for christmas

and I'd suggest a five-string with a thin neck(close string spacing) i think someone here has a five string with sthe same neck width as a fourstring. either that, or BEAD or AADG(more badass )

and 130 gauge string is a better idea.
i ran into a problem when i was playing with my g-string. haha lame joke.

i wanted to remove it and move everything down and slap a b-string one the end, so i bought a five-string pack and the guy told me it had b-e-a-d-g. i got home and replaced all my old strings with the new ones, but the biggest string, the 130 gauge, wouldnt go all the way to a B. it was fine when i tuned it to D, but anything lower than that and it was too loose to play.

any suggestions?
your best bet is to go to your local music store/guitar center and get thicker gauge strings. i just got a set of heavy strings (i think the lowest is .110) for my spector legend 4 string. my band plays in drop b, and i was selling my ibanez sr305 so i got thicker strings for my spector. the only pain in the ass was changing the strings and then adjusting my action like crazy!!

and if you dont wanna spend 30 dollars at guitar center, buy them off musiciansfriend.com for 15
My gear:
Spector Legend Classic (4 str)
Ampeg BA115
Korg AX3000B Modeling Processor

O _0
/###############
|###############
\###############

Member of the "Shoop da Whoop" club. PM C.C. Deville to join
i wanted to remove it and move everything down and slap a b-string one the end, so i bought a five-string pack and the guy told me it had b-e-a-d-g. i got home and replaced all my old strings with the new ones, but the biggest string, the 130 gauge, wouldnt go all the way to a B. it was fine when i tuned it to D, but anything lower than that and it was too loose to play.

^try going up another octave? That's the only thing I can think of.

Oh yeah, and way to hijack a thread from4 months ago.