ive finally got my electric guitar. i decided that i loved the les paul style after playing a few at the music shop, so i massively busted my budget and got an epiphone les paul std in vintage sunburst!!! because i busted the bank, i had to get a cheap amp. i went for a marshall mg10cd. its plenty loud enough for my needs, but it just sounds terrible. i am an absolute beginner with the electric, (although i have been playing an accoustic for 10 months) it sounds nice clean, but when i put the overdrive on it sounds crap. ive tried twiddling all the knobs and it sounds a bit better if i have the vol on the guitar as low as it can go, but its still not nice. what can i do?? please help!!
Wow, a beginner with good ear for tone!

The MG series, in general, are pants. See if you can take it back to the shop and get another practice amp.

In the price range you're looking at, I'd recommend Kustom practice amps. They're by no means amazing, but they're a damn sight better than the MG series
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
I would recommend a new amp when you can afford one, if your planning on playing with lots of overdrive...However, it might sound slightly better depending on what your playing..no offence...But yeah, I advise a new amp, when ya can afford one, or just play on a cleaner setting where it does sound half decent.
i thought that would be the answer
ill see if i can take it back, the trouble is it is the perfect size, it just sits on the little shelf under my fish tank perfectly!! i dont want one any bigger.
Save up your money and get a good amp
I recommend Marshall MG250DFX
It's quite big,(60cm wide + 40cm high)and very loud.
It will last for ages
And you can make echo sounds with it and stuff, like the pink flooyd phsyacadilc stuff.
Its costs £265 but honestly its worth it,
I started playing 4 months ago and got that and love it too bits
Don't worry about size, stick it in the corner of your rooom or something.
see if you can take that amp back, but no beginner amp will sound to great
but try out a vox or cube if you can take it back

great guitar tho to start out
Quote by James_Stoddy
Save up your money and get a good amp
I recommend Marshall MG250DFX
It's quite big,(60cm wide + 40cm high)and very loud.
It will last for ages
And you can make echo sounds with it and stuff, like the pink flooyd phsyacadilc stuff.
Its costs £265 but honestly its worth it,
I started playing 4 months ago and got that and love it too bits
Don't worry about size, stick it in the corner of your rooom or something.

Don't mean to be rude, but don't listen to this. It's the same amp you have just louder...

I suggest a Roland Cube.
[SIZE=
Quote by SupImJimmy
Don't mean to be rude, but don't listen to this. It's the same amp you have just louder...

I suggest a Roland Cube.

seconded
VOX AD30VT for the win. I have a VOX AD50VT, which has a better speaker than the 30-one, but the AD30 is cheaper so you might wanna get it.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Certainly get a new amp when you can.

I'm in the same boat.

But for now, stick a fuzz pedal or overdrive in there, it'll be INFINITELY superior to the overdrive on the MG.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quote by pacoasterrider
seconded

thirded

assuming that's a word
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Quote by mart744
ive finally got my electric guitar. i decided that i loved the les paul style after playing a few at the music shop, so i massively busted my budget and got an epiphone les paul std in vintage sunburst!!! because i busted the bank, i had to get a cheap amp. i went for a marshall mg10cd. its plenty loud enough for my needs, but it just sounds terrible. i am an absolute beginner with the electric, (although i have been playing an accoustic for 10 months) it sounds nice clean, but when i put the overdrive on it sounds crap. ive tried twiddling all the knobs and it sounds a bit better if i have the vol on the guitar as low as it can go, but its still not nice. what can i do?? please help!!

well if the OD channel sounds like ****. buy a chorus pedal and it will make it sound better.
Quote by mart744
i thought that would be the answer
ill see if i can take it back, the trouble is it is the perfect size, it just sits on the little shelf under my fish tank perfectly!! i dont want one any bigger.

wow you must be giving your fish hell
+1 to either the vox valvetronix or roland cube, there arent many better practise amps in that price range. And seriously dont buy a bigger version of the MG..........it doesnt get better trust me......
If i were you i would go for a Vox ad30vt or ad50vt
Amp/Effects:

Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Tc-Electronic G-system
Line6 DM4

Guitars:

EBMM JP6 BFR
EBMM JP7
Taylor 314ce
If your looking for a good practice amp, the Kustom KGA10FX is the answer. Awesome Lead and Rhythm tones for a practice amp, much better than the MG10 - 15's.
To the original poster.. consider yourelf lucky. I'm stuck with this piece of **** epiphone starter amp. It's 10 watts and it sounds terrible.
My Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom - Alpine White
Vox AD30VT
Epiphone SG Special - Black
Planet Waves Cables
Levy's Strap
Dunlop .70 Picks
A good option might be to get a Boss DS-1 distortion pedal ($65 dollars). Then, plug it in and play it through your clean channel. That way you can get a good distortion without paying for a new amp. Plus the amp will still fit beneath your fish tank .
The digitech rp80 is great for distortion too. My friend has it and I love it, it's only around $80 too. I plan on picking one up ASAP.
Quote by Dersharpy
The digitech rp80 is great for distortion too. My friend has it and I love it, it's only around $80 too. I plan on picking one up ASAP.

While the Digitech RP80 is a fun toy, and a good tool if you like good digital distortion, I wouldn't recommend it. For the price, you can get the same kind of distortion, but much higher quality. I have a friend who has it. The expression pedal broke on it within 2 or 3 weeks.