Do you guys know any good lessons for alternate picking runs? Or some tabs of them? I really need to work on that skill so start me off moderately easy. I've looked at the lessons on this site already, any other ones?
If you like Red Hot Chili Peppers you could try Parallel Universe.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
Try "Tumeni Notes" by Steve Morse, but don't try to play it at the origional speed, play it a t half speed, or slower depending on how good you are at alternate picking. If you feel discouraged don't worry, this was the track my teacher gave me to learn proper alternat picking, so enjoy.
Quote by YYZ
Do you guys know any good lessons for alternate picking runs? Or some tabs of them? I really need to work on that skill so start me off moderately easy. I've looked at the lessons on this site already, any other ones?

I learned alternate picking by forcing myself to play the fast section of the Highway Star solo by Deep Purple. It's a fairly simple lick when slowed down, and only on one string. Whatever you do, good luck.
Quote by MiG_853
Try "Tumeni Notes" by Steve Morse, but don't try to play it at the origional speed, play it a t half speed, or slower depending on how good you are at alternate picking. If you feel discouraged don't worry, this was the track my teacher gave me to learn proper alternat picking, so enjoy.

It's not the picking that needs work, it's the fretting hand, which that lick wouldn't really help me with. I'm thinking of something like triplets on each string, that sound good though.
go 1-2-3-4 on the low E then move up to the A and do 1-2-3-4 then up to D and do 1-2-3-4 and keep going and once you are done the 1-2-3-4 move up a fret and go 2-3-4-5 coming down. This will help your alternate picking and your finger speed. As well, just do it in front of the tv cause its easy.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
My best advice is to start slow. And also start with a single string lick such as the intro to AC/DC's thunderstruck. It is all alternate picking. Most people think it is hammer-ons and pull-offs, but it's not. Once you get it up to speed it sounds pretty cool. Also try the 3rd Solo from "I beleive in a thing called love" by the Darkness.
Once you've mastered single string alternate picking licks then move on to multiple strings.
Gear:
Epiphone Firebird VII
1968 Silvertone Mosrite
Speyer Acoustic Electric
Johnson Metal-Body Resonator Guitar (FOR SALE)
Rover Mandolin
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Traynor 15w Tube amp
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Quote by connorthecarguy
My best advice is to start slow. And also start with a single string lick such as the intro to AC/DC's thunderstruck. It is all alternate picking. Most people think it is hammer-ons and pull-offs, but it's not. Once you get it up to speed it sounds pretty cool. Also try the 3rd Solo from "I beleive in a thing called love" by the Darkness.
Once you've mastered single string alternate picking licks then move on to multiple strings.

Well, on the recording Angus used legato to play it but live he picks some notes eg.

Recording:
B|--0h4p0h7p0h4p0h7p0...etc

Live:
B|--0-4p0-7p0-4p0-7p0...etc
Ibanez RG1570
Epiphone Black Beauty
Line 6 Spider II 112
BOSS CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Actually, you could try Hammett's thing in For Whom the Bell Tolls, the lick he repeats a lot, it's hard, but alternate picking and you have to have very good coordination to do it...(fretting hand wise)
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Quote by J.MitMetallica
Actually, you could try Hammett's thing in For Whom the Bell Tolls, the lick he repeats a lot, it's hard, but alternate picking and you have to have very good coordination to do it...(fretting hand wise)

that always gives me a headache! i alt pic everything, and i know that entire song (it's not a hard song, great first metallica song!) but that hammet mini solo at the beginnign keeps looping and looping and does my head in every time!
Marty
I tried by doing scales down and up the fretboard over..and over....unitil you get there.

try this riff alternately.

A------------------------------------------------------------------10
E0-0-0-10-8-10-0-0-0-8-7-8-0-0-0-10-8-10-10-12-13----13-12 as you get faster it sounds pretty decent.
Behringerv-tone(first guitar)
Epiphone les paul standard plus (cherry burst)
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah

I like Epi LP's. You got a problem, PM me!
Quote by suicidalmoose
that always gives me a headache! i alt pic everything, and i know that entire song (it's not a hard song, great first metallica song!) but that hammet mini solo at the beginnign keeps looping and looping and does my head in every time!

I think I know the one your talking about, that was on of the first alternate pick things I learned.