Im getting ready to overhaul my Epiphone Les Paul Special II because I want to.

I wanted to take the guitar from this:

To this:

What I wanted to know is what would be the best way to fill the pickup holes so I can reroute them for p-90's.

I was thinking sand down to the wood, fill with plywood (since its already made of plywood) and sand down smooth, then reroute.

Edit: Ive already had my hardware powdered coated black by a buddy of mine.

I was also wondering how Id go about moving the pickup selector switch? I know I need to route out a place for the switch, in the back on the upper bout, but how would I drill to the place? From the input jack with a super long drill bit?

Edit #2: I know its POS guitar, I just want to have a little fun.
Quote by red star
"If its good enough for gay cowboys, its god enough for you."

Quote by Dyaxe666
you guys are all idiots! SRV played a schecter C1 Blackjack thrugh a metalmaster into a Krankensteing, GOD!
Last edited by xmrchainsawx at Sep 28, 2006,
DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME. The epi special (ED) is made of agathic and ****ty parts, it is not worth the money. Save up and get a better guitar.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by zekk
DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME. The epi special (ED) is made of agathic and ****ty parts, it is not worth the money. Save up and get a better guitar.

Ive already got several good guitars at my disposal. A Gibson SG, a Gibson Melody Maker from the 60's, a Gibson Double Cutaway Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, and a steel dobro.

Im really just doing this for sh*ts and giggles.

And its not made of agathis, its made of mahogany/alder plywood or some technical mumbo jumbo. Its basically 17-ply plywood I think.
Quote by red star

Quote by Dyaxe666
you guys are all idiots! SRV played a schecter C1 Blackjack thrugh a metalmaster into a Krankensteing, GOD!
Last edited by xmrchainsawx at Sep 1, 2006,
No, the special Ed's are made with maybe one sheet of each and then the rest is agathis. Have fun with it, but you'll have to do a **** load of routing.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
It's say, run a drill bit diagonal from the control rout on the upper bout to the rout for the neck pup, and work the wiring from there.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
Quote by xmrchainsawx
Ive already got several good guitars at my disposal. A Gibson SG, a Gibson Melody Maker from the 60's, a Gibson Double Cutaway Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, and a steel dobro.

Im really just doing this for sh*ts and giggles.

And its not made of agathis, its made of mahogany/alder plywood or some technical mumbo jumbo. Its basically 17-ply plywood I think.

***** and giggles is THE best reason to do anything
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
don't move the pickup selector switch, i'm assuming it's a solid body. As opposed to a solid body with an arched top. So it'd be really hard to move the switch. Just arrange it in an SG style.
Quote by greenbox
don't move the pickup selector switch, i'm assuming it's a solid body. As opposed to a solid body with an arched top. So it'd be really hard to move the switch. Just arrange it in an SG style.

Why not? I dont really see a reason. I figure it shouldnt be that hard, as I have the correct drill bit already (extremely long), and I have nothing but time with this one, as Ill be doing it what should be one of my TA classes (gotta love having the hookup with the Woodshop teacher).

Quote by StaggHound
It's say, run a drill bit diagonal from the control rout on the upper bout to the rout for the neck pup, and work the wiring from there.

So dont use the bit I have and just stick a drill in the neck pup route towards the upper bout? It makes sense. I could just feed the wires through the hole and go along with the rest of the neck pup stuff.

Quote by zekk
No, the special Ed's are made with maybe one sheet of each and then the rest is agathis. Have fun with it, but you'll have to do a **** load of routing.

Thats really why Im doing this actually. I want to get pretty skilled with the router, as Ill have a great teacher watching over me during the whole of the project.
Quote by red star

Quote by Dyaxe666
Oh, the whole thing with moving the switch is that you're gonna have a hole in your body. You could fill it, but it'd be harder than filling your pickup cavities, because the hole leads to another cavity. You'd have to be creative for this one. Maybe after sanding, then taking a small wooden disc and using (I don't know, some kind of wood adhesive?) Then sanding it flush. You'd also have to reroute the control cavity and the pickup selector switch cavity.

Make sure you plan for the holes, and cavity before you do anything, make sure nothing's in the way (like the bridge for example).
What website do you use to build pictures of guitars like the one in the first post. Sorry off topic but good luck with ur project
Quote by greenbox
Oh, the whole thing with moving the switch is that you're gonna have a hole in your body. You could fill it, but it'd be harder than filling your pickup cavities, because the hole leads to another cavity. You'd have to be creative for this one. Maybe after sanding, then taking a small wooden disc and using (I don't know, some kind of wood adhesive?) Then sanding it flush. You'd also have to reroute the control cavity and the pickup selector switch cavity.

Make sure you plan for the holes, and cavity before you do anything, make sure nothing's in the way (like the bridge for example).

I see what your saying, what I was thinking of doing was getting a dowel that fits snuggly in the hole, cut it to size, glue in, then sand on both the top, and in side the cavity. I was planning to do that to all of the holes present in the current electronics, including the two pots and there holes.

Routing the cavity for the pickup selector switch shouldnt be that hard either. Its a simple circle, and Im positive I can find some sort of router jig or something of the sort to do it with.

Quote by Maddy!
What website do you use to build pictures of guitars like the one in the first post. Sorry off topic but good luck with ur project

Kisekae Tele, search it in Google.
Quote by red star

Quote by Dyaxe666
I think you should have all the hardware match. It just looks infinitely better that way.
Quote by candy_rock
I think you should have all the hardware match. It just looks infinitely better that way.

Its going to.

Its the program that I used to make that, they dont have black tuning machines for Les Pauls.

Ive got all the hardware powdered coated by my friend who's got a paintball shop and he anodizes and powdercoats stuff for my brother and I for free.

Its going to be all black. I have to get the stuff back from him and reassemble the tuning machines.

Pictures of the tuning machines/stop-bar tailpiece/tune-o-matic/guitar in a few days.
Quote by red star

Quote by Dyaxe666
to move the switch- it isnt that bad

drill /route the whole from teh back for the switch-

next drill from that hole to the neck pup hole.

from there - run it through like the neck wires all the way to the control cavity- and walla- your done

also- arent there pup rings so you can install 90's with out moddin the guitar at all?
Quote by tongue untied
also- arent there pup rings so you can install 90's with out moddin the guitar at all?

I know there are Humbucker shaped P-90's, but I dont like the sound they have.

As for what your saying, Im not so sure if there are. Anybody know for sure?
Quote by red star

Quote by Dyaxe666
Updates

I had to put this on the back shelf until I got back into my woodshop class, and My teacher gave me the OK today that I can do it.

When I did that, I started installing pickups into my dad's guitars. I put a PhatCat into his Steinberger, and I rewired his Strat for him with new pickups. I discovered I really like the PhatCat sound. Will GFS Dream 90 Humbucker SIzed P90 give me the same sound? I dont want to blow my whole wad on a set of PhatCats.

And Ive got a couple questions I hope I can have answered.

For the binding, what kind of router bit do I use for the channels, and what order do I do these steps in?

1)route the channel
2)paint
3)install the binding

And I can use a power sander for the sanding, right?
Quote by red star

Quote by Dyaxe666
Bump?
Quote by red star

Quote by Dyaxe666
Quote by sempri_fi
p-90 sized humbuckers dont sound the same as the real mc'coy

I know, its just that after thinking about it, Its going to be ****ing harder then hell to make sure all of the holes and stuff line up if I were to do my original plan. I also like the sound the PhatCat's have a little more than P90's. It just sounds better to me, IMO.

But do the GFS Humbucker shaped P90's sound similar to the PhatCat?
Quote by red star

Quote by Dyaxe666
Its been a while, but I finally was able to get started on this project. Ive worked about 4 days and have a bulk of the sanding work done. I did the back, the top, and im beginning work on doing the sides. I left my camera at home like a dumbass so expect pictures tomorrow, and I didnt think of taking them when I started, so Ill have from here forward.

And since I last replied here, I decided to go with a EVH-inspired electronic setup. That being one pickup and one volume knob. I havent decided if Ill use a humbucker or a P90 or a P90 in a humbucker body. Of course if I choose the first or the latter, I wouldnt have to worry about filling the hole and rerouting.

As for filling up the neck pickup rout, does anybody have any idea on how I could fill it? I was thinking wood, but Ive seen someone somewhere (some other forum) use a paste or something. Would I best off using that?
Quote by red star

Quote by Dyaxe666
Update

I just got through with the sanding I had planned for today. I forgot to get a sponge and dowel for sanding the cutaway and the arches between the top and side, that little bevel/round over edge thing.

I took pictures today, so when I get home Ill upload them and post them on here. Ive got 90% of the sanding done.

Ill also take pictures of the powder coated parts, and where I need to get it touched up/redone. It looks alright, but I think Ill end up buying cheap parts from Guitarfetish.com to replace them because these parts look like they'll be chipping and **** sooner than later.

Anybody got any idea on what I can use to fill the pickup hole and the pot/selector switch holes?
Quote by red star

Quote by Dyaxe666