I have just removed all of the strings on my guitar. Now I know you shouldnt remove all but I needed to in order to clean it. Ok now I hear if you remove all the strings you can mess up the pressure that was on the neck, and the truss rod. So I do not know what to do now because I know nothing about adjusting truss rods and bridges properly. This is a vintage gibson les paul also so what should I do? Should I just string back on all the strings and adjust the bridge so the strings are at a good height and then just tune the tuning knobs and play normally...and just forget about the truss rod?? I do not wanna permanently mess up the guitar adjusting anything wrong...
If ur worried about damaging ur guitar its allways best to simply take it to an expert. I had free service for life on mine but its better to pay a small fee than to cause permanant damage to ur guitar.
Relationship Problems?

Quote by umop-3p!sdn
Maybe she just doesnt like you because you use no punctuation, and need to divide it into paragraphs.
are u putting the same gauge strings on?

make sure the bridge is sitting the same as before. restring, play and if ur getting any buzzing then repost.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
well I arleady took the bridge off I am not sure exactly what height I had it. I never restrung a guitar but I am familiar with it from watching videos. Now I would just string back on the strings,over the bridge, then the headstock, then just tune the knobs and bridge. THen just play as I used to. Can there be any permanent damage that can result from me doing any of this stuff? I am not going to screw with the truss rod at all..

I do not even know if they are the same gauge..the strings are so old on the guitar. I am putting on .10 high E and up...
ok well first of all 10's should be fine.
secondly, no u cant screw up your guitar by just stringing it.
thirdly, put the bridge on same as u remember it, run the strings up to the tuners. yes just tune it up at the headstock.

try to play it. if it buzzes then repost.

good stringing technique...
http://www.elixirstrings.com/products/howtostring_electricstandard.html
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

how would I know if I need to adjust the truss rod...should I just forget the truss rod ?
yeah just forget it.

its for certain buzzing only. that's why u would need to repost if u had buzzing.
im not even going to get into to it wt u unless there's a problem.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by Unreal T
I have just removed all of the strings on my guitar. Now I know you shouldnt remove all but I needed to in order to clean it. Ok now I hear if you remove all the strings you can mess up the pressure that was on the neck, and the truss rod. So I do not know what to do now because I know nothing about adjusting truss rods and bridges properly. This is a vintage gibson les paul also so what should I do? Should I just string back on all the strings and adjust the bridge so the strings are at a good height and then just tune the tuning knobs and play normally...and just forget about the truss rod?? I do not wanna permanently mess up the guitar adjusting anything wrong...

wait are u sure that removing all strings can stuff up the neck because when i restring i take all off and put new one straight back on
EDIT:

When removing all six strings you are relieving all of the tension off of the neck. The truss rod will still be adjusted as you had before but for the neck to have the same tension it might take a while...So its best to just take off one string at a time to keep some tension on the neck. I dont think its a big deal though I do not have everything EXACTLY tuned correct.

http://www.gibson.com/magazines/amplifier/1997/10/tipfile.html
Last edited by Unreal T at Sep 2, 2006,
Quote by Unreal T
EDIT:

When removing all six strings you are relieving all of the tension off of the neck. The truss rod will still be adjusted as you had before but for the neck to have the same tension it might take a while...So its best to just take off one string at a time to keep some tension on the neck. I dont think its a big deal though I do not have everything EXACTLY tuned correct.

http://www.gibson.com/magazines/amplifier/1997/10/tipfile.html

who cares man i doubt that it would make much of a bigger deal taking all strings off at once plus the truss rod is made to be bent so taking all strings of then putting new ones on wouldnt really matter
^you would think so. but actually when u take all the strings off at once, u really should make sure u know how to set up a guitar properly afterwards.

and TS, so how did it go?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

ive been setting up all types of guitars for almost 10 yrs. and i can tell u from personal experience and from posting every day in EG for the past year and a half.

the guitar doesnt always bounce back after a string change.

sometimes its the neck, sometimes the bridge, saddles may move, there are a host of things that might need adjusting after all the strings are off then on.

nothing should break, But until u know how to set up ur guitar, its a good idea to switch one string at a time.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

^ i have adjusted my truss rod before as uno because i have spoken to you and i have been taking all strings off and on for ages and i havnt seen anything changed also my guitar ant always in tune so that would effect the truss rod
ok then i guess you know. so good luck. /intrest.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

yeh but ill probaly end up doing it 1 string at a time because im a very cursious person
adjustable truss rods are stainless steel.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Its not a big deal taking all of the sting off of a guitar at once to change them (unless its a floyd rose, in which case you have to tackle it a bit differently).

Ive had my Les Paul for ages and i have replaced the strings by taking them all off every couple of weeks, I've done this for over a decade now with out any ill effects to the guitar. Its the only way of giving the fret board a really good buff and clean.

Although if your not sure how to set a guitar up then taking the bridge off isnt a good idea, the two sides of the bridge have to be set at different heights to get the right playing action (lower on the top strings, higher on the low strings). As its a tune-o-matic brige this is easy to do, but only if you know how to do it.

I would recomend that you re-string and then take it to a professional to adjust the bridge back to the right height to give the right action. It is possible to do yourself by feel if your experienced or by measuring the action with a set of feeler guages if your inexperienced.

If future if you need to clean around and under the bridge then use a small soft brush, my wife got a make up set for xmas last year and i pinched one of the blusher brushes for just this type of thing.

The 0.10 guage stings should be fine as Les Pauls come straight out of the factory with 0.10's fitted.

As its a vintage Les Paul that you have your hands on i would recomend letting a pro have a look at it anyway. Over time the wood the guitar is made from settles, this is a good thing as it improves the sound of the guitar but it also means that the guitar may require a slight adjustment to be made (i.e a truss rod adjustment). The pro should be able to give it a complete setup for you and make any necesary adjustments to the guitar.