I want start bass, and have chosen which ones I want. (I've been playing guitar for almost 2 years btw)
I really want to get a thunderbird, and the cheapest I can find id ?450.
I'm also looking at the Squier (sp? sorry) starter pack, which has a P-Bass and a Fender Rumble 15w amp, for ?399.
B4 I was looking at the SX version of it for ?264, the same bass, but a 10w amp.
I've since been told to for 15w as they have the slightly bigger speaker, and so won't buzz with heavy/loud playing.
If I go for the thunderbird, I'll be getting the fender rumble amp for ?150 with it.

I need to decide:
Thunder bird (?450) + Rumble amp (?150)

OR

Squier Starter Pack (?399)

I am also thinking of going for a cheap strat, maybe a squire or 2nd hand fender.
And possibly a 30w Ashdown or Marshall amp.

Can someone please advise me on all of this stuff?
(sorry I know my post is disorderly but most was taken from somewhere else, where I got almost no reply)
what make is thunderbird. To be honest i'm not too keen on squier...
for that price id say the thunderbird is an epiphone correct?
Gear:
Hamer Californian
Ibanez RG470
Ibanez RG120
Ibanez V
Crate 15 watt
Marshall 50DFX
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone pedal
"Member of The Straight Edge Club. PM danzig-_- to join."
my freind has a squire and its ok. i dont have much experience with bass anyway but with any guitar, the amp will most likely make it sound better.
my friend has the squier starter kit and his bass sounds very good but i'd have to say epiphone have great basses im thinking about getting one soon
if money isnt an option go with the epiphone and rumble amp
Epiphone Les Paul Special 2
Samick Corsair (custom evh paint job)
Bever Creek Acoustic
Boss DS-1
Behringer Bx108
Behringer Kx1200
and i dont play bass but i tried my friend's squier P-BAss and it was terrible, but i played my other friend's Fender Mexican P-Bass and it was amazing, so try them both see what you like more, but the thunderbird is probly better quality based on epiphone quality and the price comparision
Gear:
Hamer Californian
Ibanez RG470
Ibanez RG120
Ibanez V
Crate 15 watt
Marshall 50DFX
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone pedal
"Member of The Straight Edge Club. PM danzig-_- to join."
check out some different companies, ibanez make good basses.

and try not to get an agathis-bodied bass.

i'd go with squier, but make sure the wood isn't agathis.
yeah it's an Epi.
My parents really don't want me to be spending so much money on it (?600) but I don't think they understand that it's usually expensive

?I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.?

?There is a fine line between genius and insanity, and I have crossed it?but which side I am on, is still unclear.?

I'll say a Squier J-Bass, hands down. I bought my J-Bass as my first bass and I've never looked back. Now that I'm getting a new bass after two years, I've already decided how I'm going to mod it so that it'll compete with the might of a StingRay.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
dont go with the epiphone, you'll find it difficult and it mite turn you off from playing bass. In my opinion, get a squier p or j bass, or the ibanez gsr200, it rips
I think some said on another forum, that the T-Bird's neck is to fat, its like playing a five string neck, so that reason go for the squire, you can always change things on it.
The Epiphone Thunderbird is world's ahead of Squier.

But if you are willing to pay 450 for the thunderbird...

I would reccommend one fo the following:

Fender Standard Precision Bass (400 bucks, imagine the squier but mroe reliable)
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
ESP F-104 (best thing ever for the money)
Ibanez Iceman
Quote by Counterpoise

Fender Standard Precision Bass (400 bucks, imagine the squier but mroe reliable)
Ibanez Iceman

^^ can anyone back that up?
^btw I'm not talking in dollars here.
and again, another thing is availability.

Can anyone say anything on these amps?
http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Marshall-MB25-MKII~id~581.asp
http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=2091

?I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.?

?There is a fine line between genius and insanity, and I have crossed it?but which side I am on, is still unclear.?

sorry for the dbl post, but I wanted this revived.
Can anyone help me out with amps please?
Can anyone say anything on these amps?
http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product...MKII~id~581.asp
http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=2091

Have you ever even played a thinderbird? because for a starter bass I would never go for it the neck is ****e and you can't easily reach anything past the 15th/16th fret... personally I don't care for them but thats just my opinion...

EDIT: not that any beginner would have a real reason to use those frets but its just nice to have the option to muck about with...
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
^yeah after hearing that I think I'm gonna go for a cheap Fender Squier

Quote by Counterpoise

Ibanez Iceman

The Ibanez Ice Man is one of the best looking basses ive ever seen.i havent tried it out,but it definetly has nice features and hardware .But the one i saw at my local store was 630$.Mind you,the stores pretty expensive,but i dont think that bass would be in ur price range.ESP are the best and their fairly cheap,nuff said there. You cant go wrong with fenders either.I personally like Precision basses over jazz ones,but u can test those out.
Gibson SG Special
Marshal AVT275x Amp
Yeah, go for the Squier. I actually like playing on Squier basses. But if you could, go for a Fender.
See if you can find a good used fender mexi.P bass or jazz and get an Hartke B150 amp , not as loud but great tone.
ok thanks.
I know I'm repreating myself but does anyone know anything on the amps I mentioned b4?

the rumble 15 has a cd input with is a nice feature to play along with cds or an mp3 player.the other amp I never heard of.Most brand name 15 watt amps are great to start with, with not much different except things like cd inputs ant external speaker jacks which are good to have.
Wow your name is like my friend Philip's AIM sreenname. And your from Ireland, too. My friend is also from the Potato Country.