at the risk of seeming a noob i have a question id liek to get cleared up. how is the scale lengh of a guitar measured? iv been planning to make a guitar but id liek to have that cleared up befor i screw something up. thanks in advance.
Quote by Zeus2716
On a seperate occasion, i learned that the diner frowns upon building anatomicaly correct sculptures out of their chicken fingers, onion rings and pickles.
I'm not absolutely positive, but i'm 99% sure it's from the distance from the nut to the front of the bridge. they usually range from 24 3/4" to 25 1/2" (Gibson, Ibanez)
Quote by jamiecallaghan

I personally haven't been caught, but my Jamaican friend got caught wanking once by his mum. She said ''Tobi mon! Stop playin' wit ya willy!''
Do you mean what defines a scale length?, a scale is the length from the nut to the bridge,

or did you mean how is a scale measured?

*edit* OH you mean your making a neck and you need to know how to measure a neck scale,

Here: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Measuring_tools/Notched_Straight_Edge.html

also: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Measuring_tools/Fret_Scale_Rule.html

Also..uh..also: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Measuring_tools/String_Spacing_Rule.html
Last edited by Spade1 at Sep 1, 2006,
The easiest way is the nut to the 12 fret x 2
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
thanks for all that guys. and to spade, no im making a body and want to make sure i have the bridge in the right spot so it matches the necks scale
Quote by Zeus2716
On a seperate occasion, i learned that the diner frowns upon building anatomicaly correct sculptures out of their chicken fingers, onion rings and pickles.
Quote by littlegreenmen
thanks for all that guys. and to spade, no im making a body and want to make sure i have the bridge in the right spot so it matches the necks scale

Do you already have the neck (bolt-on I'm assuming) fit on the body? This might sound obvious, but don't place your bridge until the neck is snugly fit into the neck pocket
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by littlegreenmen

OOOHHHH ok
Quote by zachbino57
I'm not absolutely positive, but i'm 99% sure it's from the distance from the nut to the front of the bridge. they usually range from 24 3/4" to 25 1/2" (Gibson, Ibanez)

wrong

Quote by captaincool
the nut to the intonation point on the bridge

also wrong.

The scale length is a theoritcal figure, used to determine fret spacing. The strings will ALWAYS be longer than the scale length, when correctly intonated.

You can measure from the front side of the nut to the centre of the 12th fret, but even then that is not necessarily a perfect way of measuring it, as a lot of luthiers (eg: small time guys who care, rather than sweat shop epiphone/squire type workers) tend to shorten the nut to 1st spacing for better intonation.

PS Gibson states incorrectly that their scale length is 24.75" its not, its 24.618". They measure the intonated string length, which is incorrect and misleading.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Last edited by ormsby guitars at Sep 2, 2006,
oops. Well listen to Ormsby, his guitars look amazin and he knows what he's talkin about.
Quote by jamiecallaghan

I personally haven't been caught, but my Jamaican friend got caught wanking once by his mum. She said ''Tobi mon! Stop playin' wit ya willy!''