Hello there!

I need some help as to guitar suggestions. I have been playing for about two years and I want a good quality guitar. I am willing to spend from $1000-$1500 on it, and am open to suggestions.

I would like:
1. A VERY versatile guitar (That can play metal, rock, indie, to almost anything)
2. 24 frets
3. tremolo (not a Must)

I am NOT going to be buying this guitar online, so try to think storewise prices...

Also is it true I can get a guitar cheaper if I paywith cash, because thats what I am planning to do.

Thanks in Advance
Id look into some mid-grade PRS guitars. theyve got 24 frets, sound amaazing and are very high quality, i havent seen one with a trem though.

and about paying cash, thats only important if you are at a store with financing, its easier to talk them down if you are paying cash than it is if you get financing.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
umm do u mean "whammy" instead of tremolo?

and any way what mikeman said go for an ibanez
Got bored left. Got bored where I went away to. Came back.

if we all know what hes talking about, it doesnt really matter.

Shine on...:

Ibanez got some GREAT guitars! check out the S's, the J's and the JS's first :P

Alot of ppl like them high-end Fenders... i dont play em, but theres too many ppl saying it to ignore (respectable ppl)

Dont forget to check out the Samicks! just cuz the brand isnt used constantly in flamme wars doesnt mean it aint good :P

I highly recommend going to the store early so u can spend as much time as u can trying each and every guitar u can get ur hands on! and dont buy the first day u go, make it a few outings so u can give each 1 a nice test drive and make a decision u wont regret.
"A one that is not cold is barely a one at all!"
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Id look into some mid-grade PRS guitars. theyve got 24 frets, sound amaazing and are very high quality, i havent seen one with a trem though.

and about paying cash, thats only important if you are at a store with financing, its easier to talk them down if you are paying cash than it is if you get financing.

Seconded. PRS > You.
Quote by eat and play

and any way what mikeman said go for an ibanez

Whammy bars and Tremelo arms are the same thing, buddy.

If you're on a tight budget, an Ibanez or a Schecter would probably be your safest bet. Otherwise, I'd go for an LTD. PRS are great, but they're usually too expensive.
"Chuck-E-Cheese called. They want their band back."
Ibanez S Prestige
Member #25 of the Ibanez SZ over RG Club! PM ibanez4life SZ! to join

Ibanez SZ320BK, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Statocaster, Laney Cub 12

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much
I don't see the why you absolutely have to have 24 frets, I have it on mine but rarely use it.
Well it might not have 24 frets but I really love the Ibanez JS1200. But then again you also said something about no floyd rose, even if it is the best tremolo out there. Well IMO the JS1200 gives you a lot of versatility, you will not get a vintage sound from it, but a more modern and kind off rounded sound ? As I see it. But each man has his own style. My recommendation would be that you go and try the different guitars out there. And don?t be to narrow minded, just get around You might discover something that?s just you.
Meh i still say go with a PRS for the money you are looking to spend, Ibanez makes pretty decent guitars in the $500-$1000 market but when you get higher than that there are a lot of guitars that are superior for around the same price (like PRSs, high end Fenders, mid-grade Gibsons, Carvins. etc.)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Since you want a store bought guitar, go out and play with a bunch of 'em and there will be one with your name on it.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Ibanez are a gd make... even though 24 frets? You dont really need 24 frets! You'll never use the xtra 2 notes!

S (470 myb) series r gd, has a gd tremelo n can play almost ne music styles.
PRS wud be gd too....
I'd go for the PRS (I assume we're talking SE models) over any Ibanez in this price range, becaue the PRS models will have better pickups and are also far more versatile than the Ibanez guitars.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by BingYao
A guitar made out of plastic?? =.=|||

haha...

i guess you havent played an Ovation before?

dont laugh.
"A one that is not cold is barely a one at all!"
I second the Carvin guy, and you can get an Original Floyd Rose and 24 frets, all the Ibanez tremolos are copies, nothing like an original to do the job...even though the Ibanez's are good copies though.
Quote by Eric 666
I second the Carvin guy, and you can get an Original Floyd Rose and 24 frets, all the Ibanez tremolos are copies, nothing like an original to do the job...even though the Ibanez's are good copies though.

Many people swear by the Edge and Lo-Pro Edge (Vai, Satriani, to name a few)

Don't underestimate Ibanez trems.
I've seen PRS floating around this thread with no mention of a model!! If you wish to extend your price range a bit, you could probably get a Standard 24 or Standard 24 moon inlays (only difference is the inlays lol). They come with or without trems, and are VERY high quality guitars. You could aslo get a Carvin, which are also VERY high quality guitars, however I really don't know of any model to suggest, I'm not familiar with the model names, just the quality lol
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Quote by onemanarmy9
I've seen PRS floating around this thread with no mention of a model!! If you wish to extend your price range a bit, you could probably get a Standard 24 or Standard 24 moon inlays (only difference is the inlays lol). They come with or without trems, and are VERY high quality guitars. You could aslo get a Carvin, which are also VERY high quality guitars, however I really don't know of any model to suggest, I'm not familiar with the model names, just the quality lol

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions...

How much would I have to extend my price range for that PRS, onemanarmy9? Also I hear quite a few people mentioning Carvin, and I'd sure go for one, but the problem is, that I thought you could only order them.

Soon i am going to a couple guitar stores with my dad and my uncle (whos knows TONS about guitars) but anymore suggestions are welcome.
Quote by timi_hendrix
PRS models will have better pickups and are also far more versatile than the Ibanez guitars.

I mite agree with the pickups, but more versatile i dont thinks so!
My Ibanez is one on the most versatile guitars ive ever played on!!! U can play any music style with it! Generaly though PRS probaly r more versatile, but still "far more"!!!! NO WAY!
Quote by Shine On...
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions...

How much would I have to extend my price range for that PRS, onemanarmy9? Also I hear quite a few people mentioning Carvin, and I'd sure go for one, but the problem is, that I thought you could only order them.

Soon i am going to a couple guitar stores with my dad and my uncle (whos knows TONS about guitars) but anymore suggestions are welcome.

Well I know a Classic 24 (CE) would be about 1700. Not sure about the Standard 24s, probably around the same price. I know a basic Custom 24 would be about 2000, without any of the options. Usually with birds and a 10 top you're looking 2800+, if that helps any.

But it really depends what you want. I'd have to say those PRS would probably be the most versatile out of the bunch, but if you're looking to play more metal/shred you might want to look into Ibanez Prestiges, or perhaps a Jackson soloist. Although at that point the main factors are neck shape (Ibanez and Jackson are both thin and flat and PRS has a medium, not as narrow but more meat on it if you will.) locking trem, and shape of the guitar.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
Parker PM36

They retail at about 899 Canadian

It has 22 frets and is an absolutely beautiful guitar. I've found it to be extremely verstaile
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Many people swear by the Edge and Lo-Pro Edge (Vai, Satriani, to name a few)

Don't underestimate Ibanez trems.

Like I said, they are very good copies, but nothing beats an OFR.
Quote by JimiMan1535
Well I know a Classic 24 (CE) would be about 1700. Not sure about the Standard 24s, probably around the same price. I know a basic Custom 24 would be about 2000, without any of the options. Usually with birds and a 10 top you're looking 2800+, if that helps any.

But it really depends what you want. I'd have to say those PRS would probably be the most versatile out of the bunch, but if you're looking to play more metal/shred you might want to look into Ibanez Prestiges, or perhaps a Jackson soloist. Although at that point the main factors are neck shape (Ibanez and Jackson are both thin and flat and PRS has a medium, not as narrow but more meat on it if you will.) locking trem, and shape of the guitar.

Would this be a good buy? or a very good guitar to purchase (I mean without the extras)