I just got $250 in birthday money and I'm thinking about buying an acoustic bass. I've never bought a bass before, but I play my friends alot and have played guitar for a year and a half. I'm hoping to spend around $150-$200. Any suggestions?
Dickless.
as far as i know, you would be licky to find an acoustic bass for $200. im under the impression they're a little more money, but i might be wrong. my advice is to go out to a bunch of shops and pluck the strings on the basses and see which one sounds the best to you. often a more expensive guitar might not sound as good as a cheaper one. they all have strengths and weaknesses.
Yes. Acoustic guitars are easy to make half decent ones, it's not easy to make a decent bass acoustic because it needs a much larger soundhole and a much better designed guitar. The only thing close to that in reasonable quality is the Tacoma Thunderchief knockoff made by... I forget who... but even those usually cost $400-500.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
You guys might be wrong. Unless I'm mistaken I've seen an acoustic-electric bass for $150 at my local shop. Not sure of the brand though....
yes, cheapies exist. But they won't be heard over any sort of acoustic guitar. 150-250 is your average one, the Michael Kelly ones cost about 500 just cause they're pretty, and Tacoma's & Takomine's are the only ones that come close to being the proper volume.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
the only acoustic bass I've laid my hands on that I liked was the Washburn AB-10, which unfortunately is not cheap. Its about $550, plus tax. I still really want one though. Damn you all for reminding me how much I want that bass
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
I've played a Thunderchief, a Michael Kelly, and I believe a Takamine acoustic bass.

I got complimented about how pretty the Michael Kelly was (And fretless)
I got complimented on how nice (and loud!) the Thunderchief was.

The Tak was forgettable.

The knockoff of the Tacoma Thunderchief is made by Olympia.

The thing is, if you want an acoustic just to not have to play with an amp or just for the look or something... meh 200 bucks will do it.

If you wanna ever play with guitars and do actual music... Thunderchief all the way.
haha
i wouldn't get an acoustic bass. just get a starter pack. i have played a few acoustic basses in guitar shops before and have found them to be very clumsy and uncomfortable. acoustic basses have a bigger body then regular 6 string guitar. i found it a bit uncomfortable to get my arm around and play. while resting my arm on the body, i would lose circulation in my arm, therfore couldn't feel my arm anymore. ( i finger pick BTW). so if i were you, just get a starter pack for $200.
Member 3 of Geddy Lee Fan Club. PM timmEH or RIC4003 to join

Member of Bass militia. PM Dinkydaisy to join

Cliff Burton is my idol. R.I.P

MegaBassPlayer's band of the week: Bound For Glory
i do not recommend an acoustic for you're first bass. their tone choices are very limited, and they are pretty hard to fret cleanly. i recommend a decent solidbody electric bass, and a decent amp. as a matter of fact, i get all the acoustic bass fix i need at the music shop a couple of times a year. if you want to play acoustic, get a double-bass (upright). imo!
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
i do not recommend an acoustic for you're first bass. their tone choices are very limited, and they are pretty hard to fret cleanly. i recommend a decent solidbody electric bass, and a decent amp. as a matter of fact, i get all the acoustic bass fix i need at the music shop a couple of times a year. if you want to play acoustic, get a double-bass (upright). imo!

well the entire point was it's something for fun, my main interest is still guitar. I don't want to be fussing with amps and trying to build up to better equipment.

Anyway, how are the dean playmates? I've heard some good things about them.
Dickless.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
well the entire point was it's something for fun, my main interest is still guitar. I don't want to be fussing with amps and trying to build up to better equipment.

Anyway, how are the dean playmates? I've heard some good things about them.

meh, Dean Playmate is an ok acoustic bass. tis one of the ones i tried out in a guitar shop before. personally i didn't like it because i don't like acoustic basses. if i were you, just go and try one out at your local guitar shop and see for yourself.
Member 3 of Geddy Lee Fan Club. PM timmEH or RIC4003 to join

Member of Bass militia. PM Dinkydaisy to join

Cliff Burton is my idol. R.I.P

MegaBassPlayer's band of the week: Bound For Glory
Personally, i say DONT GET AN ACUSTIC BASS! But thats just me.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Quote by 83lespaulstudio

The old fart is correct all the way. You wont be having fun, that's his point. just buy a cheapo electric bass. The only person who will make you build up to better equipment is yourself. You will be annoyed if you buy an acoustic for your first bass, they just dont cut the mustard unless you pay big bucks. I own a Vintage one, and sure i play occasionally, but mostly i dont because it's just not loud enough