I'm new to recording so this is probably something really simple but it annoys the crap out of me. I decided to try Judas Priest's You Got Another Thing Coming for my first recording since it's so guitar-heavy and I liked the idea that I could put together almost all of a song by myself. Didn't get far though, since when I listened to the continuous chord at the beginning after recording it it sounded like there was a washing machine running in time with the song or something. My current setup isn't great: cheap mic placed in front of the amp and recorded with Cool Edit Pro 2. Would a better mic fix this? Thanks.
yes. So would a better soundcard.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
yes. and a better soundcard.

but a goodish mic will make a big difference compared to a really cheap one.
Quote by dookie_dude_
if the amp has a headphones output, you wouldnt need a mic, then it would sound better

Yes it has headphones output, but what kind of cord would I need to go from that to the smaller jacks in my pc, where exactly would I plug it into, and how would I select that as the source to record from? But I do definitely need a better soundcard/mic
Get a 1/2" to 1/4" jack convertor, then plug one end of a cable into your headphone socket on the amp, and the other into the line in / mic socket of your PC's soundcard. Careful to start the volume on the amp VERY low, because you don't want to blow the it [the soundcard].

That's the cheapo's way of doing it. Alternatively you can buy a decent soundcard with a 1/4" input, and a mixer to plug into it, but you've got to work with what you've got, I guess!
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████