I've played guitar for shortly over a year, not taking it seriously until a few months back. The thing is, I don't know where to go and which scales to learn from here.

I know the basic pentatonic scale (major), but that's the only one I know. I can play all open and all barre chords without problems, so what I'd like to focus on is soloing.

Tips to increase my speed, and build strength in my pinky (so far I'm only using three fingers). What scales to learn, some techniques that could be handy...

I wanna play mostly classic rock and metal. I'd be very thankful if you devoted some of your time to help me out, cause I am tired of being bashed by the two more talented guitarists in my class.

Thanks in advance!

-DW
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
My advice is just do practicing stuff 1-2-3-4 on all strings, go up one fret to descend untill you're at 12th or 15th then go back...
For strength and speed that is.

I don't understand, you say you do all open and barre chords without problem yet say you don't use your pinky?
How'd that happen...
*shrugs* I don't know...
Yeah 1-2-3-4 -4-3-2-1 Chromatic scales with the use of a Metronome always helps. It will also get your pinky movin.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
What I meant was, I don't use my pinky when soloing, cause I can't. I have no problems to get it to the right place when it comes to barre chords, but when it needs to work on its own... I just can't 0_0
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
To get my little finger to work, I just started with simple solos that I already knew and tried to use that finger wherever possible to build up its strength and "independence". It's still not easy but it's getting better.
I didn't use my pinky for a while, either. To improve, what I did was to play solos and scales, but wherever I used my ring finger before, I used my pinky instead. That really helped build up strength and accuracy.
Quote by Demon Wolf
What I meant was, I don't use my pinky when soloing, cause I can't. I have no problems to get it to the right place when it comes to barre chords, but when it needs to work on its own... I just can't 0_0

What helps me out especially with the pinky is doing the 1234 chromatic thing, and also doing all combinations:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------etc.---------etc.----------etc.---------etc.---------etc.--------------etc.-------------etc.-------------etc.
-----1-2----------1-3----------1-4---------2-4----------3-4------------1-3-4-----------1-2-4-----------2-3-4-----
-1-2----------1-3---------1-4----------2-4----------3-4---------1-3-4-----------1-2-4-----------2-3-4------------

And you would of course reverse it when you come down so 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, 4-2, 4-3, etc.
if you didn't understand their explanations of the 1-2-3-4 chromatic exercise, here it is:

e|----------------------------------------------1-2-3-4-
B|-------------------------------------1-2-3-4----------
G|----------------------------1-2-3-4-------------------
D|-------------------1-2-3-4----------------------------
A|----------1-2-3-4-------------------------------------
E|-1-2-3-4----------------------------------------------

do that with all four fingers of course, then go 4-3-2-1 back up - also, alternate pick! this is essential. don't develop a bad picking habit early on, make sure you alternate pick or economy pick everything you do.
Gear List:
Jackson DKMG Dinky Cobalt-Blue
Washburn EA8B Cutaway
Line 6 Spider II 112
Jekyll & Hyde Overdrive/Distortion Pedal
Boss RC20-XL Looper Station