Anyone know how to get a David Gilmour-like sound? More specifically if you listen to Pigs (Three Different Ones) off the Animals album. Something like that?
I'm pretty sure he uses les pauls or strats. In alot of songs there is heavy delay. (Run Like Hell e.g.) A lot of pedals helps.
Pedals plus a strat
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
I agree, Animals Gilmour is an awesome sound. I played Dogs with my old band a while back.

I never did achieve that sound except once I did pull of the specific kind of dissonance he gets in that solo.

He seemed to bend a bit aggressively in those day and he was a bit more into modal or out-of-scale playing. 90% of the sound is how you play, so think about where he was at his life - coming out of the early acid days, still young, but starting to see some real success and possibly a bit overwhelmed by it, yet excited too, and starting to gain a mastery of the guitar, but not the kind of maturity we would hear later on Wish You Were Here and beyond.

Still young, explorative, adept and skilled from the road, but experimenting. The sound was a bit dirtier, and I'd probably go with a bit of delay vs reverb. I like that anyway, but the animals sound has a bit of grit, and it's not sexy and million-dollar production like The Wall or something. More low-key.

Specific equipment, I don't know. Look up Pink Floyd on Google Pics. See if you can find a pic of him from the Animals tour. I believe he played a strat then, but you might get lucky and catch a glimpse of his stack.

"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by Bubonic Chronic
He seemed to bend a bit aggressively in those day and he was a bit more into modal or out-of-scale playing. 90% of the sound is how you play, so think about where he was at his life - coming out of the early acid days, still young, but starting to see some real success and possibly a bit overwhelmed by it, yet excited too, and starting to gain a mastery of the guitar, but not the kind of maturity we would hear later on Wish You Were Here and beyond.

lol... Animals came out after Wish You Were Here
^ owned

yeah get a high end strat, some delay and light strings for hardcore bending
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Lots of chorus, lots of tape echo, lots of Fender.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Dave Gilmour plays (or did play) Hiwatts

Specifically, he had a rack full of D100's. Hiwatt is currently selling a Dave Gilmour Custom 100. But it will cost you an arm and a leg. You can approximate the Hiwatt sound with most amps, but don't use alot of drive or bass (or at least thats how it works on my Traynor).

Hiwatt amps used to be amazing, but I have no idea about they're current build quality. I've heard good things, but I've also heard the parent company (Fernades) has changed a bit of the design. I do believe they are still point to point Class A amplifiers though.

Have alot of pedals, especially delays and echoes, and if you can get a good one, a rotating speaker simulator (boss makes a good one). Or if you've got loads of cash, a Rover assembly)

He used to play mid 60's Strats, but the only one I've seen up close was the one he used on Live at Pompei