Page 1 of 4
Ive been playing for a year now and lately my family and friends wanted to see how I was playing so I showed them a few riffs which I had been studying.

But when the time is there and they all look at me suddenly all my riffs and songs seem so boring and nooby. They're really not impressed but I know I can do better I just need some cool material, so I was wondering what do you guys play to impress friends?

I usually play Seek & Destroy and Enter Sandman -Metallica(Not the solo's, hehe), Hypnotize(intro)-System of a Down. and a some noob fingertapping tunes and some fingerpicking
After a while, you will have no desire to impress people. I'm not trying to be mightier- than-thou but it's the truth. You feel comfortable in your ability, and realize non-musician have ZERO idea of what is good and what isn't 90%+ of the time.

But, since that isn't yet the case.....

Just play some songs they know, or anything quick.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
I don't play to impress people, I generally play what I want to play. If they aren't impressed then I really don't care

^And yeah for some reason playing quick seems to impress people
I have a little trick..

take an acoustic, go out to a place where you think youre alone and start playing.

Guarenteed if you play john mayer girls will come.

Uh, play stuff people know and they will like you. It doesnt have to be hard, just something people know. If you can shred like malmsteen then i say do that for maybe 10 seconds to see the look on thier face.

thats really about it.
You have to remember that when people ask you to play for them they expect you to play a song not just random riffs; they would probably prefer it to be something they know or something that sounds 'pretty' unaccompanied, this doesn't mean it has to be complicated. They other thing to point out is that without any band backing you it's pretty difficult to impress non-guitarists with lead guitar lines so you'll probably want to play a rhythm guitar song.
Play nothing else matters the intro cause the song its the same thing and if you have some love songs play that or its better if you play something egyptian or puerto rican like canciones de jibaro those songs make people laugh.
Hehe, thanks guys
Well ehm I dont need to impress girls.. cause im a girl
I can play the intro of nothing else matters! I forgot about it but yeah people seem to like that one

Im just looking for some cool sounding-not so hard to play- metal like- songs (To impress guys)
Quote by nightwind
After a while, you will have no desire to impress people. I'm not trying to be mightier- than-thou but it's the truth. You feel comfortable in your ability, and realize non-musician have ZERO idea of what is good and what isn't 90%+ of the time.

But, since that isn't yet the case.....

Just play some songs they know, or anything quick.
I found it to be just the opposite... everything I play or write is meant to impress people in some way... usually so that they enjoy it.

You know, I've got some really hard stuff I can perform, and sometimes if I want to "impress" people I'll play that. But if I'm just sitting around with another guitarist who really knows their ****, and I want to impress them, I'll play the easiest song I know -- that way its easier for them to hear how good I am.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
No its not I only play the guitar to impress people or something! I think I didnt explain it good.. Id just like to know some impressing songs in case people ask me to play something for them, C'mon it wouldnt be like cool when Im known for being a guitar addict and then sound like a total noobing rock star wannabe poser or something (which im deffinatly not!)
Yeah but just because your not playing something "impressive" doesn't make yu are wannabe does it?
The average non-musician listener is more impressed by your song vocabulary than your technical skills. If you know 2 dozen songs beginning to end just basic first position chords rather than 3 sweep arpeggio pieces by Yngwie, people will be more impressed by you knowing a bunch of songs. People want to hear what they're familiar with and what they identify with.
Hi, I'm Peter
not playing impressive stuff doesnt make some one a wannabe no, but what I mean is
People who haven't heard me play yet but do know that Ive been really busy playing guitar all day and stuff and they expect some nice stuff.. so i figured itd just be nice if some one could give me some titles of cool songs which will make them go: Wow! Thats really cool! Your a PRO! (they havent got any guitar knowledge so they'll easily think im a pro, hehe) .. instead of: Oh yeah pretty nice.. You know what im saying?
Quote by Dirk Gently
The average non-musician listener is more impressed by your song vocabulary than your technical skills. If you know 2 dozen songs beginning to end just basic first position chords rather than 3 sweep arpeggio pieces by Yngwie, people will be more impressed by you knowing a bunch of songs. People want to hear what they're familiar with and what they identify with.

Exactly. Play some Marty Friedman and they won't like it probably. My dad didn't....Even though he has solos that are very different. People want to hear things they know. Play some popular tune that they know, and you'd get better feedback than showing your technical ability.
Some Jimi Hendrix or SRV should do the job.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Yeah, people know Hendrix. Probably not SRV so much. Just target the age group. If your parents are around 40, play something from the late 60s/early 70s. It'll take a bit of creativity on your part to figure it out, but not that much. Just look at their CD collections.
Hi, I'm Peter
yeah hendrix, especially purple haze (to which the intro is pretty easy if you know youre way around the fretboard)

maybe some beatles, some clapton...

its more about what to play to who youre playing to... you know?

if youre playing to a group of hippies theyd rather hear some hendrix than metallica.. get the idea?
Classical gas always looks and sounds impressive. Or I'll just play solos like the Money solo or Sweet Child Solo, solos that sound good and people are familiar with. Also if you're a good singer and you can play and sing a song people find that really impressive for some reason. Even if it's something simple like Green Day most people are impressed. But if you're trying to show off your guitar skill I wouldn't go for that.
Thanks guys,
Well I can sing, but its not so nice so Id better not spoil it with that
Yeah Purple Haze is pretty good to play for older people..
I already knew a little part of the intro.. the 2 first riffs and the verse riff thingy a bit and I played for an uncle of mine who is really into music and stuff and he was suprised and liked it, so i guess thats good
i'm more of a conservative player in that whenever somebody asks me to play them something i'll simply refuse or play very reserved to shut them up...i'm not trying to showcase the fact that i play guitar to people who only want to hear their favorite song - now if i'm jamming with someone, that's a different story
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
yeah i defenitily agree that people are impressed if you play songs that are on the radio every day. i remember when i was still really new to guitar i saw a guitarist play like a really famous easy song, and i was like man this guy's good, they like can play blink182, greenday and u know that easy stuff. i've heard people tell me alot of times. "dude you should hear this guy man, he can play like any song". ja right. the other day i told my friend who lives really far away now(korea) i was gonna learn to play jazz. and he was like no dude jazz sucks man learn punk. and i was like there's nothing more to learn.

so ja, if you wanna impress people ask them what they wanna hear then play it. most people like to hear radio tunes and stuff, they dont really care how difficult it is for 'you' to play. learn all new songs that come out on radio and like the classic old songs.

cheers,
jaco
I like to impress people every now and again, but if people know what i can play etc, then there not really any point in proving myself further.

I like to play alter bridge's one day remains. Kind of an easy "shred" song. It'll impress people if you get it right and it sounds good.
Been away, am back
I generally have a "thing" about playing around other people, so I usually have no desire to impress them. I agree with Axe Grinder though. If I'm playing with someone else, then it's completely different, though I prefer to show off by playing something beautiful and melodic (Malmsteen's Golden Dawn is one of my favorites) than something shred oriented. But if the other starts it.........then, well, it's "on"
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Sep 2, 2006,
Generally, I don't play to impress people, but when I was in junior high, people were just impressed if you knew how to play a bunch of stuff they knew, like Dirk Gently said. However, there are people here who know better than that now, so I'd probably just play some improvised sweeps or something. They also find it impressive if you can write a good riff on your own, too. But again, I play for myself, so that doesn't really matter.
Quote by ShredtoBed
Dude.
The gore of killing animals is supposed to scare you out of eating meat.
That and drop Q tuning with pig squeels

funnily enough, playing really **** like becker and ygwie, doesnt really impress people unless they have some basic knowledge of guitar...especially if you have no one backing you. they usually like either stuff they know or things that their familiar with, or really pretty styff....my favorite "show" peice is little wing - hendrix. its got some really nice finger work, but isnt at all fast or anything....
I'm gonna practise some Good Charlotte songs My friends like their songs and they're pretty fun to play along with when your not much of a guitar player (like me!)
Hmm, I hope that will satisfy them
Thanks for your advices guys
Depending on what level of ability you have, you're probably more likely to impress people by playing something relatively simple *well*, i.e. with a bit of style, than trying to "shred" badly (something I see a lot)
Hell... i dont even know what shredding is
I think its about time it learn what it is..
i improvise around in the blues scale. even though most people around here arent into it, they still like to hear it.
PM me for
Find out a song that they really like and learn the main riff to that...I usually do some fast palm muting stuff and that always seems to impress people.....but then again half the people I know get excited and are impressed when I play Kum by Ya...Or I would do some acoustic songs...Hey Ya- Outkast, James Dean/ Gotta Get through this- Daniel Beningfield(sp)...
Quote by axe_grinder247
i'm more of a conservative player in that whenever somebody asks me to play them something i'll simply refuse or play very reserved to shut them up...i'm not trying to showcase the fact that i play guitar to people who only want to hear their favorite song - now if i'm jamming with someone, that's a different story

Same here. Exactly the same lol.

But sometimes my parents make me play for relatives and stuff.
Any songs they hear on the radio. That's what impresses people.

And let me tell you, there's no greater feeling than playing a Green Day song and having people say you rock for it.

Basically, play something they'll recognize and they'll think you're great.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
on my acoustic, fingerpickin songs like classical gas, nothing else matters, blackbird and hotel california impresses my relatives and friends.
and on electric i improvise on the pentatonic with my wah and play some songs i know
All you have to do is a bunch of tapping, that impresses a LOT of people, or just play a simple guitar solo.

If I need to impress someone I just come up with a complex tune that sounds good.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
i really dont feel the need to impress people with my playing. i just play things i like playing and stuff i know people enjoy. like i know my mom really likes dust in the wind, so i play some of that if i know she is listening. i have a friend who loves RHCP so if were hanging out i might play cant stop. if its my grandparents i might play some classical fingerpicking song thats simple. slide by the goo goo dolls is something that i like to play, and since everyone knows it i can get a bit of attention. not a single one of those songs is impressive, and they are more to make the people listening enjoy the song than be impressed. id rather make someone smile than make their jaw drop.
thunderstruck. Easy, but effective. It'll take an hour for you to get the speed but once you got it...it'll impress people. Even thpoug the song is way too overplayed. And look comfortable with you guitar. People dont want to see someone look stiff and awkward. I rarely like to show off but when theres a hot chick around, then i let thunderstruck rip. And no, i dont play guitar just to get chicks.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Page 1 of 4