I have just started music GCSEs and everyone else is at least grade six at one or more classical instruments and I'm a self-taught electric guitarist! I was just wondering what I should play for my solo performance piece, it has to be at least grade four standard. I was thinking of doin Under the Bridge but I'm not sure if it is hard enough. So has anyone else done music GCSE on electric guitar. If so what did you play? Any advice would be much appreciated.
TO = used for expressing motion or direction toward a point, person, place, or thing approached and reached, as opposed to from

TWO = the number 2

TOO = in addition; also; furthermore; to an excessive extent or degree
'Just A Phase' by Incubus is good, and probably around grade 4 standard.
I'm doing music GCSE this year as well,
People tend to play either classical pieces (Bach and the like) or shred pieces(Vai, Satch, etc) as the more technical they are, the higher the grade you likely to get. I dont know whether Under The Bridge would get you the marks, but try asking your music/guitar teacher, they should be able to tell you!
Talk to your music teacher about getting some 'Rock School' exam performance material. They're UCAS-approved, modern guitar pieces ranging from grades 1-8, and if I can play a grade 4 and a grade 5 piece and get 43/50 overall for performing in my Music GCSE then you can too.
Love is not a victory march.
i didnt do a music gcse but a freind (and former band member) of mine just did.
i would suggest for a solo peice either write 1 yourself, or you could try a cover of Iron Maiden's 'Journeyman'
StueyALBB
if it helps, a friend of mine got A* in his music Gcse's for doing Seven nation army, i got an A* for doing Classical Gas, and yes im a self taught guitarist as well, so i believe you can do it, the obsevers are looking for two main things *timing* and *how well you played it* they give extra points if you can add a few of your own touches such as some add ons and variations,

-Adeem
Well, for my focus assessment thing, I did Complete Control by The Clash, and got 14/15 and an A* for it, so anything which is harder than that and you're laughing!
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Quote by StueyALBB
i didnt do a music gcse but a freind (and former band member) of mine just did.
i would suggest for a solo peice either write 1 yourself, or you could try a cover of Iron Maiden's 'Journeyman'

There are a lot of reasons why you shouldn't write your solo performance piece yourself, even if you were already a very competent guitarist; you won't even have time to write a piece solely for performance that exhibits your ability to play at different places on the fretboard, shows off your attentiveness towards articulation and dynamics etc.
Love is not a victory march.
I would ask my teacher but he is not a guitarist nor is he very in tune with anything but classical music. That's why I asked here. Just a phase is a good idea tho. I'll look into that.
TO = used for expressing motion or direction toward a point, person, place, or thing approached and reached, as opposed to from

TWO = the number 2

im doing IB music which is pretty similar....abby is right, they usually give higher grades for really technical stuff...im doing a lot of dreamtheater, just cause pertucci's very technical, and incorporates a lot of theory into his stuff..also a bit of hendrix, cuz soem of his songs are still pretty technical.
theres some good classical music thats been pretty widely transcirbed to guitar...eg flight of the bumblebee, a lot of paginini stuf...etc. could try some of that as well..
Would little wing be sufficient? Because I can probably nail it by the end of this year if i worked really hard.

TWO = the number 2

Nothing Else Matters by Metallica maybe? By the way, I'm starting music GCSE this year, am I expecting hell or not?
NOPE.
I dont think you should expect hell but it is harder if you aren't classically trained.

TWO = the number 2

Hi ive done GCSE Music, and A level, and HND, im now at Uni doing a full degree in music.
Under the bridge should be fine, I did Purple Haze by Hendrix and a slow version of "Dee" by Randy Rhodes, Ozzy Osbourn's guitarist, taken from The Blizzard of Ozz" album. Don't be put off by all these classical musos, I know its hard, but keep your chin up. Hope you go on ok
i did nothing else matters - metallica.......easy stuff, you just gotta play it perfect really......i got full marks in the end because i played it note perfect.
i did canon rock, well about 3 mins of it, would have thought thatd be about grade 6 which is counted as very high for gcse
Quote by shakysam
There are a lot of reasons why you shouldn't write your solo performance piece yourself, even if you were already a very competent guitarist; you won't even have time to write a piece solely for performance that exhibits your ability to play at different places on the fretboard, shows off your attentiveness towards articulation and dynamics etc.

well when i wrote a peice for my freinds performance id not even been playin 3 years and it got him an A*
StueyALBB
I was going to try Yngwie Malmsteen (eg. Black Star, Far Beyond The Sun) or Jason Becker (eg. Altitudes, Rain) to a backing track...which Grade is this considered?
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
So is an A* fairly easy to get then? Cos most of you are saying that you got A*.

TWO = the number 2

get a Rockschool Grade book, i did 2 pieces from grade 5 book, and got full marks in my practical, 50/50
I got an A in music, and I did Hysteria by Muse and Toxicity by System of a Down for my performance pieces and got full marks for both
My mate got an A for playing a Grade TWO piano piece. Under the Bridge is an awesome piece. On the Edexcel syllabus at least most of the marks are about how well you play the piece (Interpretation and aacuracy), not how hard the piece is. Check with your music teacher of course but I'm fairly sure that it's far more important that you play the piece well than play a difficult piece.
In this months Guitar Techniques there's a classical Bach piece which has been tabbed: "Partita for Solo Violin No.1 in B Minor", so if you've got a friend who buys it, or buy it yourself then that piece sounds good on electric guitar whilst remaining classical.
That said, I didn't take Music for GCSE and am only just starting to take my grades on guitar so...I don't know what level various songs are.
Way to go man, I want to do electric guitar in my GCSE as well, I would want to play something like "Tender Surrender" by Vai or "Always with me, always with you" by Satriani. Something to impress, but something that sounds incredible.
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Quote by shakysam

i had to do 2 compositions for GCSE, one was a ****ty reggae piece that i did on cubase, and the other was a guitar piece, and i HAD to play one of those 2 compositions in my practical exam....i did 2 grade pieces and my own composition(which is on my dmusic site in my sig if you wanna listen to it)...

i got full marks for the guitar composition, and i also got full marks in the performance of that piece as well
Cool. I'll just practice Under the Bridge until I have it really polished.

TWO = the number 2

Hey guys, how high a grade would you say IBIATCL (Darkness) might get me? Providing I played everything smoothly, and perhaps throwing in a little improv in the solos?
Quote by Palfrey
Hey guys, how high a grade would you say IBIATCL (Darkness) might get me? Providing I played everything smoothly, and perhaps throwing in a little improv in the solos?

From what I've been reading here, you can get and A*/A for doing quite easy pieces
but playing them very well. So if you played it smoothly then you will be completely fine.

TWO = the number 2