.....And what is ur take on the pentatonic scale? What are, to you, some advantages\disadvantages of the pentatonic scale.

i would really love to hear how you guitarists use\avoid the pentatonic scale.

jaco
Don't think it's actually 'invented' by some person, it just something that has come out of the ever evolving world of music. I use the minor and major pentatonic scale a lot when I improvise, it has a bluesy / rock feel to it.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
I remember reading somewhere it is Chinese.
George W. Bush for President 2012

We can do it if we work together!
yeah thats like asking who invented music theory, its not invented, its always been there, it just took someone to find it

i use it a bit, mixed with minor chord progressions it can sound pretty cool
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
im pretty sure theres no downside. however, you can get more notes in other scales
PM me for
I really don't like the pentatonic scale. It's like wearing grey clothes. I don't want to wear all grey clothes. because they are dull and uninspiring .
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
My best guess is the pentatonic scale came into being when black slaves tried to mimic music their masters would play, and they would give the music there own "feel", thus the pentatonic scale evolved into itself.

The pentatonic scale it easy to play and fits over just about any basic chord progression (with emphasis on "basic".) With more complex chord progressions, it's best not to stick to the pentatonic scale, but rather use modes. For example, play G mixolydian over a G7 chord, or a D dorian over a Dm6 chord.

Technicaly, the pentatonic scales are really arpeggios. Am pentatonic = Am11, and Amaj pentatonic = Amaj6(add9). Remember that when playing jazz and you run into those chords.
Carpe diem; Seize the day.

Just be.

Scales are notes, not shapes, boxes, or patterns.
I love the pentatonic scales, they are easy to use and can sound really good. I disagree that it's like wearing grey clothes, I think that part of being truly skilled is playing something original from a pentatonic scale.
With a LOT of creativity, you can make good use of them. They are good for soloing, like just quick licks using pentatonic scales, but not good for basing a whole riff around.
Meh, I think pentatonics are pretty cool for rock/blues, but they sound very bland/out of place over anything else (even just basic minor progressions can sound bad with them if they have more of a minor key feel to them than just a rock/blues feel).
Quote by CowboyUp
Meh, I think pentatonics are pretty cool for rock/blues, but they sound very bland/out of place over anything else (even just basic minor progressions can sound bad with them if they have more of a minor key feel to them than just a rock/blues feel).

^^ I agree.

They have their place but I personally don't like using them when writing harmony lines/solos because if I'm trying to find a note on the fretboard that I am hearing in my head, it's very hard to find the same note using the pentatonic scale. If you know what you're doing, though, you can combine chromatics and modes to the pentatonic scales and get some really nice scales.
It is true it's hard to find that one note you hear with pentatonic, but if you are just kinda riffin' and don't have a specific note, then pentatonics are cool to fool round with.
Quote by Ascendancy5
With a LOT of creativity, you can make good use of them. They are good for soloing, like just quick licks using pentatonic scales, but not good for basing a whole riff around.

very true, i find pentatonics great for improvision and just messing around with, but when it comes down to writing melodies and riffs, i choose to go with other scales, (mixolydian, and harmonic minor are 2 of my favorites)
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
it seems to me that the pentatonic scale tries to leave out the more dissonant tones of a key, so it can be played equally well over the I, IV, and V chords. for example, in Am, the major second, B, doesnt sound very strongly with an Am chord. neither does the flat sixth, F. these, therefore, are the two notes left out of the Am scale. anyone who's ever tried to do a blues solo with the minor scale will find these two notes a bit more awkward than others. same with the fourth and the seventh in the major scale--these awkward tones are omitted to from the major pentatonic.
"You are amazed that it is so easy to infect men with the war fever, and you surmise that man has in him an active instinct for hatred and destruction... I entirely agree with you."

--Sigmund Freud in a letter to Albert Einstein

i think the pentatonic is a good starting ground for all guitar players. i play blues and rock so what i do is just use notes around the pentatonic and add them to the scale. if you know when and how to use these notes, you can use just about any note. most of the notes can only be passing notes and sound good if you are doing a quick lick. if you stay on them or play to slowly some notes will sound realy odd and out of place. i mostly borrow from the aeolian, dorian, some chromatic stuff and a bit of mixolydian. you just have to mess around with it and add some of your own style to it and find what sounds good so youre not just playing random notes.
well i like to jam with my self in pentatonics, but if i want to write a song i usually look at the chord progression, find out what key that would fit in and study up a scale that i think might sound good (i love melodic minor for some reason)
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158