okay, so a gminor scale would start out like this, correct?

a-------1--3---5
e-3-5--------

right so today we were learning the song sonnet by a prayer for cleansing and he tells me that b-14 e-10 (played at the same time, this is a hardcore/metal band) is a minor 2nd interval..

and i just getting the minor scale wrong or what?
d00d..
confused, explain please, how is that a minor second when in a minor scale the 2nd isnt flat
The minor scale goes:

Tonic, Major 2nd, Minor 3rd, 4th, 5th, Minor 6th, Dominant 7th, Tonic (roughly, probs slightly wrong on some phrasing here)

Although the minor 2nd interval is called the minor interval, it is not employed in the minor scale - except as a colour tone maybe. Again, just because it is called minor doesn't mean it is minor. (It's used in the Phrygian/Locrian modes if I'm remembering correctly).

Oh, and hi everyone.
One whole step is a major second interval (M2) - From C to D is a major second interval - make the major second one half step smaller and you have a minor second interval (m2) - From C# to D is a minor second interval. (Which are the notes you're playing).

A minor second interval has nothing to do with the 2nd tone in the natural minor scale.
Because the chord tones are the only ones that really matter when it comes to scale and chord naming, for example if you were playing a Cm7 vamp and played the dorian(the true minor scale in my opinion)then it would sound fitting right? Well when you play Dorian b2 over the same vamp it would still sound right just because of the fact that both have the chord tone b3 b7 which are what make the Cm7 sound like it does. I hope that helps.
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
The lowered 3rd scale degree characterizes the minor scale.

You can build a minor interval, on the other hand, using any of the Group 2 Intervals, including their octave extensions (9ths, 10ths, 13ths and 14ths).
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
What the important thing to know is, every scale is kind of based around the major scale.

We like to think of the major scale as being pure, so every interval in the major scale is either "major" or "perfect"

major 2nd

major 3rd

perfect 4th

perfect 5th

major 6th

major 7th

as we know, there are notes in between those intervals too.

so if you were to flat every one of those notes, then you would have a "minor" or "diminished"

minor 2nd

minor 3rd

diminished 4th (aka major 3rd)

diminished 5th

minor 6th

minor 7th.

so it's really not about what scale has a minor or major 2, it's more about how it relates to the "perfect" intervals of the major scale.
Check out my latest recording on my profile