Hey there everyone, I am looking for a good distortion stompbox for playing metal(everything from Pantera to Job for a Cowboy). My price limit is from about $60-120 and will most likely buy it off of ebay cause it is that much cheaper. I am in a metal band as the only guitarist, so I need to drive the band.

Edit: I might get a 5150 head next spring if I have the money, but I need something to use until then.

I have been considereing

MXR Dime distortion

Boss MT-2 Metal Zone (unmodded, since the keeley mod is very expensive)

Krank Distortus Maximus (quite pricey, would not buy unless I found a great deal on ebay)

Metal Muff

I'd be more than welcome for other recommendations

I use a PRS santana se with emg 81/85 through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe tube amp.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Cgc1215 at Sep 2, 2006,
Hey I have a Line 6 Uber Metal pedal. I like it alot, you can get TONS of distortion on it and keep it all in check with the noise gate. I also only got it for like $150 Canadian. It eats up batteries like a monster but if you buy an adaptor to plug into an outlet its all good. Not sure if thats what you are looking for, but you chould check it out, on line 6's website they have interactive video demos and ****.
i have the boss MT-2, and love it...it can get a wide range of sounds and is not as expensive as the others u were lookin at
Quote by Beware!Criminal
i have the boss MT-2, and love it...it can get a wide range of sounds and is not as expensive as the others u were lookin at

It's also cold, harsh, and lifeless. Don't touch it with a ten foot pole.
You might check out the Metal Muff.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
mt-2 is better then metalmuff. mt2 can get some wicked distortion.
I've never tried any of those but EHX makes really good pedals (better than most bosses IMO) and I'll say the Metal Muff
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by Slasher_Sloth
Hey I have a Line 6 Uber Metal pedal. I like it alot, you can get TONS of distortion on it and keep it all in check with the noise gate. I also only got it for like $150 Canadian. It eats up batteries like a monster but if you buy an adaptor to plug into an outlet its all good. Not sure if thats what you are looking for, but you chould check it out, on line 6's website they have interactive video demos and ****.

+1 You can get it for about 99$ used on ebay with an adaptor, and they are awesome
Quote by unplugtheradio

i dub thee, Knight of Asskickery.

that is amazing

Quote by human-blasphamy
i like my nether regions shaved down till there soft as a babys ass. Cause thats where there going.

The Day Cas Pwnd UG.
Quote by Alreddyded
0mgz Br00tal Gh0st!11!11
Quote by Dcwest
mt-2 is better then metalmuff. mt2 can get some wicked distortion.

noooo it isnt, the metal muff actually sound good, it doesnt quite have as much gain as the boss, but it doesnt sound like a crappy digital POS like most metal pedals do.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
i have a digitech death metal pedal... it makes a little noise depending on if you have humbuckers or not, but i have never heard anything with so much distortion...
There are only three things in life that you can count on...
Death
Taxes
METAL

Jericho Fusion quilted maple-BKP painkiller
LTD Stephen Carpenter SC-207 -EMG 707s
Schecter Omen 6 - SD invader
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
jekyl and hyde?
VOX AD50 VT+crappy "Fender" from COSTCO!=ok tone!
I need a new guitar
Quote by mastag215
i have a digitech death metal pedal... it makes a little noise depending on if you have humbuckers or not, but i have never heard anything with so much distortion...

You should throw that pedal away. You can't get any variety with it. Every thing you play sounds like one pitch almost its too much and after I had it for a week I hated it, and I still hate it.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $