ive been looking to get a new electric guitar. My Fender Squire sucks. I was looking at Epiphone Les Pauls but are they any good? Are they just a crappier version of a Gibson? I don't want people to be like.."oh those are such a rip off" after i buy it. i usually just play rock/ classic rock (floyd/zeppelin/the who) i don't play metal at all. what should i get?
epiphones are great guitars for the money you spend. i bought one for my first guitar and nobody said anything about it. now all i use are gibsons just becasue i preffer them over epiphones. but some people like epiphone better than gibson. it all depends on the sound you like.
you do know that led zeppelin is synonymous with metal right?

i we need to know what amp you have

also, epi's are great, but high end epi= low end gibson
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Mr.threadstarter, the people that tell you Epi's are ripoffs are ****ind idiots. How can it be a ripoff if its made by Gibson?

Epiphone are great guitars, especially the late 04 and 05 models. I say if you want one, go for it. Aside from the pick ups not being top notch, they are great guitars.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
id say an agile is better, im thinkin of getting an AL3100 myself. but epiphones are ok.
Quote by gallagher2006
This one time I went out at night and sexually assaulted 2 girls then murdered them and hid their bodies never to be found.

I pwned as a 7 year old
epiphones ARE gibson cept the pickups are less output and they are mad ein china, not usa or whatever.
i hear the wiring isnt as good, but theyre amazing guitars none the less
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Wiring and pick ups are nothing to replace. You could buy an Epi for say $500 and spend $200-$300 to fix it up and you're set for a long time. I like when people says "just save for a REAL Gibson". I guess not all of us have a 7 figure a year job like those people
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
yep thats what im doing
replacing the pickups and stuff
im also getting rid of all that cream colored **** on it, and replacing anything cream or plastic with metal.
my guitar is going to be sweet! and im making a see through pickguard!
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
rock n' roll god how old are you. how do you afford all those guitars and 32+ amps...that sounds like BS.
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD EC-1000
Fender American FSR Mahog. Chambered Tele 60th
Fender Mexican Strat SD Hot Rails Br/Ne
Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10
Boss DD-6
Boss Metal Zone
can you give us an approximate budget?
"...I cried. Just for a second. Then I thought, 'I must rock.' "
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

Epi LP Studio then perhaps?

I just bought a brand-new Epi LP Standard, brilliant guitar. $700. Waay better than the Fenders I tried at the shop. It gives off an air of high worksmanship. Brilliant to play.

And it's goddamn beautiful.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I'm ordering an epiphone les paul std flametop,gorgeous,and great guitars for the money.
There are undinirebly differences between the gibson and epiphones,here are the main ones
1)Gibsons are one piece construction as opposed to multi-piece.
2)better pickups
3)Gibson have a planch in tennesy,epi's are made in china. They are given standards and specifications by gibson,which they should follow,but aren't inspected and made as high quality.-The control isn't as strict if u like. I think those are the main differences, but i'd say for 1/3 of the price you get at least half the guitar.Change the pickups and u can't really go wrong,BTW these guitars have amazing versatility,try one.Hope this helped
Epiphones are good guitars for the money. The quality isn't as good as a gibson they say, and often the sound isn't either. Generally, an average epiphone sounds like total crap. Thats why you shouldn't buy one over the internet. But i find that many epiphones have just as good playability as a "real gibson", and i mean, its sound and playability you should be looking for. So i say you should just try out a bunch of epiphones and buy the one with best sound and playability.
Well, just to be like everyone else, here's my rig:

Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Washburn J28SDL

Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
Quote by danzig-_-
epiphones ARE gibson cept the pickups are less output and they are mad ein china, not usa or whatever.
i hear the wiring isnt as good, but theyre amazing guitars none the less

lol you know nothing, epiphone were their own company in themselve but i believe gibson bought the company and held onto the name, do you think the difference between a 500 dollar epiphone and a 2000 dollar gibson les paul is just better pickups.... better wood... better quality,, better electronics, its not just a brand name
TS, to answer ur question, epiphone standards are good for the money.

only the studio and above are worth looking at in the LP model.
sometimes the strap pegs get loose or the switch fails early. but both are easy fixes.

ull want a pickup change eventually, and im not usually crazy about crate. that might be adding to ur tone troubles. maybe a pedal can help too.

lastly, keep the squier, learn how to mod it. maybe pick up a bridge humbucker, or vintage single coil neck. u might find a use for it down the line.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011