Poll: What design would be cool and interesting?
Poll Options
View poll results: What design would be cool and interesting?
One of Claption's Strats painted by Crash
76 22%
Another Crash and less well-known would be cool
100 29%
One of Petrucci's guitars would be novel and cool
136 40%
I would really like to see another design such as ...
87 25%
Voters: 344.
Page 1 of 6
EDIT: You may stop voting! The guitar was completed September 23, 2006 (see below). Because of the close scores, I did Option 2: Another Crash (Front) and Option 3: Petrucci. (Back)

If your display option is the default setting, go to pages 4 to 7 for the build pics to skip the blah, blah, blah. Comments? Questions? Ask!

===================================================
Some of you have probably seen 1 or 2 of my guitar mods/builds from Strat parts (See my sig ).

2006 Summer Strat #1:

2006 Summer Strat #2:

I still have a couple of bodies and parts from this summer's guitar store closing sale and a previous trip to Japan. So, I'm making plans to re-finish another guitar ... not a Strat, Ibanez-like or maybe not, but with the similar sharp horns, etc.

Option 1: Clapton's Strat painted by Crash

Option 2: Another Crash Strat

Option 3: Petrucci's Ibanez

Option 4: Suggest anything other than Swirls or EVH

===================================================

One of the bodies from Japan has a basecoat made of shielding paint! The whole body was painted with something that feels like solder. I was told it's basswood and it's HSS, not exactly a shredder config but the Bridge H is 15K, Mid S is 8K, and Neck S is 12K, pretty hot. This is why I considered copying or attempting to copy Petrucci's axe. Will post pics later.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Vote!!!
Last edited by Ippon at Nov 26, 2006,
I really like the other Crash design. Are you doing this yourself or do you have a professional doing this for you?
Sent from my iPad.
Personally I don't like any of those designs...

Perhaps a "splatter" finish? I like those.. Or perhaps something a bit more abstract... Just make sure it's somewhat original and fun.

FAKE EDIT: Actually, stuff it... Do a tyler SCHMEAR!
For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Quote by metallicaman80
Someone's got a strat fetish...

Fender Strats are the equivalent of the 60s and 70s American muscle cars ... there are infinite ways to tweak them. But you should know this, coming from the lovely state of Georgia
Quote by power freak
FAKE EDIT: Actually, stuff it... Do a tyler SCHMEAR!

As in Tyler's Black Shmear?

Quote by Ippon
Fender Strats are the equivalent of the 60s and 70s American muscle cars ... there are infinite ways to tweak them. But you should know this, coming from the lovely state of Georgia

As in Tyler's Black Shmear?

Aheemmmm. I was born in Texas. Then I moved to Georgia.

In truth, the real boondocks are in South Georgia/North Florida, Louisianna, and Alabama. I am in the largest county in the state in a school that has the top SAT scores(all students are encouraged to take it, even Special ED) that rank in like the top 50 in the country.

I am not as country bred as you would think.
Last edited by metallicaman80 at Sep 2, 2006,
Out of those 3 i'd do the Petrucci, if you can pull it off. If you can't, i'll be honest with you, you probaly will regret ever trying it.

Go for a swirl!!

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Quote by paintITblack39
I really like the other Crash design. Are you doing this yourself or do you have a professional doing this for you?
Doing this myself, just like the first 2 mods. There's no joy in paying a pro to do something I can learn to do anyway.
Quote by metallicaman80
Aheemmmm. ... In truth, the real boondocks are in South Georgia/North Florida, Louisianna, and Alabama. .... I am not as country bred as you would think.
My apologies. I didn't mean to imply anything by the muscle car and GA association.
Quote by AlGeeEater
Out of those 3 i'd do the Petrucci, if you can pull it off. If you can't, i'll be honest with you, you probaly will regret ever trying it.

Go for a swirl!!

Chris
Swirl? ... too much of a planner and a control freak to rely on random outcomes. Also, if I decide to go with the Petrucci and mess up, I have an inch thick worth of sandpaper.

Any other design suggestions? As in combining certain elements of various custom guitars or modifying colors or designs of existing ones to make it unique? My brain is kinda stuck on various graffiti-style designs, which isn't for everyone.
Sounds to me like you're either too afraid to do a swirl, or to afraid to leave your masking tape alone.

Swirl! Swirl! Swirl!

The joy of a swirl is the randomness of the lines & placement. You can always predict to an extent the colors, and how much of each will go onto the body.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
nope just lazy, but hey my masking tape is a good friend of mine....you made it cry. but yea it is a little more work because of the water and all but it looks amazing.
I was referring to Ippon bro.

Chris
Swirl requires dumping paint on a huge bucket and it won't be recoverable. Worked too hard (illegally) for a landscaper (an illegal) doing back-breaking hardscaping to *gasp* dump paint on a bucket for 1 guitar. So, it's frugality over-riding everything else for not doing the swirl.

Yea, kinda attached to the masking tape ... still developing my chops with the proper sequencing of masking tape and colors.
It's more like dumping a bunch of water into the bucket, then the paint. You can actually clean any of the gunk that sticks on the sides pretty easily. I'm not going to give up that easily.

I'm not condoning this, but you might be able to borrow a 50 gal. rubbermaid hamper from a neighbor.

Heh, I used to do landscaping with my dad. I never found it that hard though. Great excersise, then again i've been doing calisthenics since I was 13.
do either crash 40 or 28 with your own touch.... the coolest of all.... I just love orange crashes....

and crash 30 has the coolest pickguard ever......

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
Last edited by UniverseZero at Sep 2, 2006,
Quote by UniverseZero
do either crash 40 or 28 with your own touch.... the coolest of all.... I just love orange crashes....

and crash 30 has the coolest pickguard ever......

Post pics

Anyway, here's the unidentified body from Japan ... you can almost see the metallic shielding paint in the neck's big hole and the body edge under the switch.

The bridge is the same size as an American Fender Strat, the 6 holes even line up. I was told it was Basswood but feels heavier and kinda looks like the Mahogany on my Gibson SG.

Any ideas?
Metallic shielding tape? Ummm, are you sure it's not just the basecoat?
Quote by AlGeeEater
Metallic shielding tape? Ummm, are you sure it's not just the basecoat?

As I described in my first post: "One of the bodies from Japan has a basecoat made of shielding paint! The whole body was painted with something that feels like solder."

It wasn't taped with the shielding tape we can buy, but actually had a basecoat that was painted that feels like solder. The actual color coat looked aged White, approaching Cream. I understand shielding PU cavities, the trem spring area, the tone and volume cavity, star grounding, etc. but this entire body was shielded.
Either that "other Crash", or something a bit 60's abstract like Hendrix's Monteroy Strat, but with your own design, colours etc.
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
I'm still not convinced your body is sealed in solder, shielding paint or whatever. It's pretty odd they'd shield a whole body, as that kind of makes no sense.
i say do splatter, however, that is truly random (well to an extent). Failing that, do something original, allow other things to inspire you, but create your own look.
Wouldn't it make a lot more sense for a company just to paint the cavities and the insides of the pickguard/cavity covers? The idea of shielding is to completely cocoon the electrical parts in a metal mesh or cage so that no external electromagnetic signals like radio frequencies, microwaves etc. can cause interference (google/wiki search "Faraday cage" to see what I mean). Seems to me that painting the whole body wouldn't really provide any more protection than just painting the cavities. I say its just heavy primer (or an ill-informed guitar company). Either way, option 2 is growing on me, i say do your own version of that!, maybe with a little splatter section on the back or something
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
^ Agreed. Maybe somebody with an electronics background can better explain why they went that far with the shielding.
Quote by thesumoftwo
i say do splatter, however, that is truly random (well to an extent). Failing that, do something original, allow other things to inspire you, but create your own look.

Agreed! It'll probably be a modified version of any of the 3 designs I posted. Those who chose option 4 add up to a pretty significant number, etc. Gotta start thinking about the colors since I have a couple of design ideas already.

Algee, I don't think it's solder, just feels like it. I sanded the entire thing and the small chip sample I heated with the soldering iron flowed/behaved like solder.

Additional Info: The neck and bridge PUs combo when treble is maxed is so sharp it can chop a head off. This could be useful but so opposite of the middier and bassier Blues tone I like.
Holy mother .... I bought the paints for the Petrucci model and now the Other Crash is leading by 1.

FYI, the Petrucci design is probably more appropriate for the body style I posted. I do have a bunch of Strat-style bodies, etc. but I'm trying to learn more about non-Strats.

VOTE!!!
Petrucci's guitar is a superstrat... wanna learn about other guitars get a les paul

And Telepromters knows his ****... you should do that exactly moddified Crash #28!

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
I like the idea of a splatterd paint job.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom- Alpine White
Marshall MG30DFX

Soon To Get:
Keeley Fuzz Head
I'm unsure about my next amp.
Looking for amp with great blues tone.
Quote by AlGeeEater
Go for a swirl!!

Chris

Not enough swirls around these days. Im planning on doing one in the coming months. Im joining Algee on the DO A SWIRL arguement.
Lyrics, just breaks between killer solos.
Last edited by Cathedral at Sep 4, 2006,
I reckon you should do a splatter Strat, those things look amazing.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by Ippon
How about nobody's done a swirl? Maybe you or Algee can do one?

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/swirled.htm

I've seen folk do swirls, they're not as hard as they look. Doing an intricate airbrushed design would be much harder.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Quote by Ippon
How about nobody's done a swirl? Maybe you or Algee can do one?

I am. ^_^
Lyrics, just breaks between killer solos.
Quote by power freak
http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/swirled.htm

I've seen folk do swirls, they're not as hard as they look. Doing an intricate airbrushed design would be much harder.

I think Ippon prefers the challenge of actually setting down a design vs. something on the random side. Since Cathedral is doing a swirl, it'll be cool if the voters get to see another Crash or a Petrucci or something similar.

How about using an entirely different neck? Instead of the various Strat necks you brought out on your previous projects? Somebody mentioned that the design was done on Petrucci's Super Strat but what I've read is that it's on an HH Ibanez. Even tho I voted for Eric's Strat, the Petrucci is looking more interesting, just to find out if he can do that style.

I did a tape job on my Strat!

Goes well with my Jumping Jack shirt~! Yay!

But yeah, when I paint it, I'll do the WHOLE body, and also no black.