I like to experiment with different pedals, but since I mainly use distortion pedals I tend to stay away from overdrive pedals. Right now I've decided to stick with the Big Muff. Recently I've been looking at overdrive pedals (out of the blue) an so far I've been looking at the Tube Screamer and the Zakk Wylde overdrive and have been wondering how they might sound with the Big Muff. Does anyone know if the combination of a big muff and an overdrive would allow me to expand my sound a little bit, or would it just make a lot of feedback? And before I get a bunch of "what's your style of music..." responses, me and my band like to switch from blues to punk to metal a lot.
Thanks, if you help.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty
Squier Strat (Painted Green)
Fender 212R FM Combo
EHX Small Clone
Maxon SD-9 Sonic Distortion
EHX Big Muff Pi USA
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
DC Brick
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
i was lookin at the maxon od-9 thats a good 1 its better than the ibanez ts-9 but they may be others u want to try the maxon is good tho works well with a BB LP
My Gear
Marshall MG100DFX
Line 6 Pod XT Live

Wish List
Marshall DSL401
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Maxon OD-9
Boss DD-3
Digitech Whammy
ISP Decimator
MXR Phase 90 EVH
Ibanez Weeping Demon
I have a Zakk Wylde, and am looking at getting a Big Muff, so if u end up getting it, tell me how it works out
I mix the Big Muff with my Fender Amp's Overdrive, and the tone really isn't too great. I wouldn't recommend mixing a dry Fuzz pedal like the Big Muff with Overdrive. It feeds back too much, and gives a terrible, muddy tone.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Seeing as you have a solid state amp I don't think an overdrive will help you much
I have ran my Big Muff with my Blues Driver and didn't sound good at all. Infact, I really don't like my BD anymore.

You wanna expand your sound? Get a phaser/flanger pedal or something.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
ive run a tube screamer into a russian big muff before, i though it sounded really cool, but then again i listen to a lot of experimental industrial noise music. Youll get massive feed back and some very extreeme (yet odd) sounding distortion.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
So far I'm getting a lot of "this is a bad idea" responses, which IS helpful. Although has anyone out there had any sort of success with this combination?
Oh and Kurt Cambria (I know it's _KurtCobain_77 but my name for you sounds funnier) how's the Zakk Wylde overdrive 'cuz thats one of the overdrives I was looking at a lot.
My Gear:
Fender 212R FM Combo
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff Pi USA
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
DC Brick
Ok then, what would you suggest be a better amp for me to have?
My Gear:
Fender 212R FM Combo
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff Pi USA
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
DC Brick
Whoop sorry didn't mean to double post... but I'd suggest a marshal DSL or TSL they aren't the best you can get but they're still pretty good and they can get those styles
Quote by strat22m
So far I'm getting a lot of "this is a bad idea" responses, which IS helpful. Although has anyone out there had any sort of success with this combination?
Oh and Kurt Cambria (I know it's _KurtCobain_77 but my name for you sounds funnier) how's the Zakk Wylde overdrive 'cuz thats one of the overdrives I was looking at a lot.

I love My Zakk Wylde Pedal, but I don't know how it sounds with a guitar amp, since Im running it into a Bass amp...but after reading these responses, I think I might add a flanger or a chorus pedal to my line up
Hey hey!

I'm a Big Muff+overdrive user(Boss OD-3 as a boost), and I love the sound I get, it's much smoother, creamier and generally better sounding than just the Muff by itself.

But only use this combination on a valve amp, it'll work as it should that way.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I don't have an OD pedal, but I use a booster pedal to drive the Big Muff into sligthly thicker, fuzzier distortion, i think it sounds great. Gives it a bit more mids and generally sounds more powerful IMO. If you use an OD with it, I'd go easy on the gain (on the OD pedal), and use the volume/level dial to control how much breakup you get.
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
Thanks guys, I think I have all the info I need.
But one more quick question though. What if I use an overdrive with my old grunge pedal? Anyone have experience with that?
My Gear:
Fender 212R FM Combo
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff Pi USA
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
DC Brick
^It'd probably work, just try it and see.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30