Hi every1,
this is my first thread on this forum and I really need your advice here.
I recently bought an SX-poison series electric guitar ( http://www.sxguitarspain.com/sx_poison_series.htm), and ( now this may sound very strange but...) the guitar sounds not tuned up even when I tune it using a tuner. (Actually I use a program called AP tuner that uses a your pc's mic to detect the sound of the guitar and tells you what note it is.) which means I am 100% sure the guitar is tuned.
I tried testing the guitar so I thought I could play the 5th fret of of the low e and see if it actually gives me an A. I was surprised when I saw that tyhe 5th fret gives me an A which is UP tuned of a 1/4.
now how is this possible? could it be that the guitar is so bad it doesnt even sound tuned up?
I mean c'mon I paid 150 euros ($220) for this guitar.
I'm kinda noob to electric guitars guys so I really dont know what to think help me plz.

thx advance for your eventual answer. bye
Last edited by kar33m at Sep 4, 2006,
maybe ur tuning to the wrong notes. If you are tuning in standard make sure from high to low it is EBGDAE.
Agile AL-3000 Cherry Sunburst
Fender American Strat HSS
1981 Yamaha FG-335II
Crate V1512 (USA made)
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR EVH Phase 90
Ibanez TS9 w/ Keeley Baked Mod
Boss SD-1
Boss DD-3
Your intonation might be whacked.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
dude I am sure I am tunin it correct.
what do u mean by whacked exactly?
does it have to with the guitar? or the way I tuned it?
intonation...from icepoint

SETTING INTONATION:
Most electric guitars provide individual string length adjustment for setting intonation. Fine tuning this length insures that your guitar plays in tune all the way up and down the neck.

Using an electronic tuner, tune your guitar to pitch.
One string at a time, play the harmonic at the 12th fret and then play the fretted 12th fret note.
If the fretted note is sharper than the harmonic, increase the string length slightly until both notes register the same on your tuner.
If the fretted note is flat compared to the harmonic shorten the string length slightly until both notes register the same on your tuner.
Repeat the procedure on all strings until the harmonic and the fretted notes are the same.

which screw to turn????
strat style, it's screw # 2....

TOM style its, pointed to ...

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Sep 2, 2006,
are they new strings? some times they just need to be stretched.
yeah they are new.
anyway thx very much for the replies.
my guitar doesnt seem to have the screws.(probably there's some kind of cover over the screws that has to be removed.) I'll just wait cos in as few days my teacher should be back from holidays and I'm sure we'll be bale to fix it together.
thx for reassuring me guys I was kinda thinking my guitar was ****ed up.
bye
had a better look at the guitar and I found the screws they are on the bottom ( no cover or anything) kinda like strat style, so Ill be bale to do em without help from my teacher.
thx again
ok, if ur having any problems matching up the tuning just repost.

and good for you, most newer guys dont even recognize that the guitar needs to be tuned all along the board.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

sorry guys for bringing this topic back up.
first of all I have to say that i did the 12th fret test and I found out that all the string have higher pitch when fretted at the 12th fret then the harmonics.
then I tried to to loosen the screw of the first E string and I noticed that the change in pitch of the harmonic and the fret notes were relative to each other meaning that when I loosened one of the screws the change in pitch of the fretted note was the same as the harmonics. the 12th fret pitch gets low, to the point where the harmonic was but the harmonic gets even lower.
maybe the problem isnt realted to the lenght of the strings?
help plz.
you fret the 12th. then take a reading.
then get the harmonic, take a reading.
adjust the intonation. until they match THEN RETUNE the string.

again u fret the 12th take a reading, harmonic reading, adjust, retune....ect

if u dont retune, then ur reading is off. not sure if i read u correctly but thats usually the problem.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

quick question - how do you do it with the TOM style bridges? i mean how do you get to the screws that are sandwhiched in between teh humbucker and the tom? i was thinking of performing some tiny adjustments on my ltd but was puzzled as to how i was going to do it.
Marty
you have to pick up a set of small screw drivers. as small as eye glass adjusters.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Make sure your open string is in tune, and then check if the 12th fret is also in tune. If it is flat or sharp adjust the intonation a bit (how you do this depends on what kind of bridge your guitar has). Retune the open string again till it's in tune, and then check the 12th fret again. And use a tuner so you can do it very precise. For a more details explanation just google, there are a lot of good tutorials online with pictures!
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
Sorry my mistake. I didnt get the explenation the first time.
I 'll try doing it again now.
I'll let you guys know if it worked.
thx.
one last thing what do u mean adjust untill they match?
do u mean the fretted note should match the harmonic b4 adjusting the lenght?
or should they match after the adjustment?
well if your fretted 12th matches the 12th harmonic, then ur in tune.

so if u fret the 12th and then find that the harmonic is a little sharp, then u would adjust the screw (string length) a little.

here's a tutorial from icepoint
SETTING INTONATION:
Most electric guitars provide individual string length adjustment for setting intonation. Fine tuning this length insures that your guitar plays in tune all the way up and down the neck.

One string at a time, play the harmonic at the 12th fret and then play the fretted 12th fret note.
If the fretted note is sharper than the harmonic, increase the string length slightly until both notes register the same on your tuner.
If the fretted note is flat compared to the harmonic shorten the string length slightly until both notes register the same on your tuner.
Repeat the procedure on all strings until the harmonic and the fretted notes are the same.

some guys compare the open string tuning to the 12th fret tuning. you can also do that.
but the harmonic is more exact IMO.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I got a couple more questios.
when the saddle is getting closer to the bridge is the lenght increasing or deacreasing?
coz this may sound crazy but it seems that the farthest the saddle egts from the bridge the flatter the note becomes.
Quote by kar33m
I got a couple more questios.
when the saddle is getting closer to the bridge is the lenght increasing or deacreasing?
coz this may sound crazy but it seems that the farthest the saddle egts from the bridge the flatter the note becomes.

If the saddle gets closer to the bridge, then the string is getting longer, and therefore the sound will get flatter.

If the saddle is moving towards the neck, then the string is getting shorter, and the sound will become sharper.
Been away, am back
Quote by jj1565
well if your fretted 12th matches the 12th harmonic, then ur in tune.

so if u fret the 12th and then find that the harmonic is a little sharp, then u would adjust the screw (string length) a little.

here's a tutorial from icepoint
SETTING INTONATION:

some guys compare the open string tuning to the 12th fret tuning. you can also do that.
but the harmonic is more exact IMO.

I got that but wha I meant was does the fretted note AFTER the the adjusting have to mathc the harmonic BEFORE the adjusting and then retune the guitar.
or should they both match after the adjusting is done?
Ok guysI think I got it.
but there still must be something wrong.
I could get the most accurate intonation by getting all the saddles the closest to the bridge I could and still the fretted note is about 2-5 cents higher then the open one
could it something else that's ****ing up the intonation?
Maybe your neck is bent too much and your trussrod has to be adjusted.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
Quote by Dardarian
Maybe your neck is bent too much and your trussrod has to be adjusted.

mmm.... How can I know if this is the problem
Dont bump threads. if no one else is replying its because they cant answer.
Been away, am back
Quote by kar33m
mmm.... How can I know if this is the problem

why are you getting buzz? or does the action seem too high even tho uve already adjusted it at the bridge?

just fret the Low E at the first fret. at the same time,
fret the Low E at the last fret, where the neck meets the body.

with both places held, look at the middle frets, arounf 8th-9th frets.

if the string just lays on the fretwire there, the u dont have enough gap.
if the string is more that a credit cards thickness up from the wire there, you have too much gap.

you can measure and repost.

i would have responded yesterday, but i probably helped about 5 guys with truss rod and or intonation problems. i guess i thought u could have looked at some of the other threads.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62