I have been reading through these forums and there is nothing apart from maybe greenday that causes more arguements than so called emotion in guitar playing.I'm starting this thread just to put across my view on it and see if we can't clear this up a bit because i know i'm not the only one who gets annoyed by it.

What it comes down to is note selection. That is what people term as emotion. It is the order of the notes played and the lengths and way in which they are played. So when people say oh he doesn't play with any emotion (normally aimed at some poor shredder i might add) it normally means they don't like/can't understand/refuse to listen to their note selection in that particular piece. Now it's my belief that the note selection used by guitarists can evoke particular emotions, with some being easier to portray than others such as sadness or anger.

In my opinion it is usually how i judge guitar solos is whether they create any feeling in me through note selection. Yes, i've said it i am one of these people that likes emotional solos.

However i don't feel that this emotion can only come out in slow playing. I think it is a huge talent of a guitarists to be able to create emotion in their solos as i've said and not many can. I don't think these few are just shredders by any means some of my favourites are Slash Hendrix Clapton and BB King.

But i also think Vai Satriani and many other shredders play with emotion in their note selection. And i also think it's fair to say that most guitarists discussed on these boards who are regarded as heroes all do to some degree whether it's a metallica song just to get you pumped up and give you an adrenaline or a slow bluesey piece for when you're sad.

Either way speed at which guitarists generally play does not determine how emotional their music is, in my opinion. Neither on the other hand does how technically they play.
Anyone else agree/disagree with me?

Resi edit: Formatted your post, it was a ****ing nightmare to read.
Now then, for the response...

Note selection has little to do with what people term as emotion. Phrasing is a much more encompassing thing for what people term as emotion. You kindof said this, but your terminology is wrong.

I don't agree with your use of the word emotional. What's wrong with saying "I like it" instead of "It's emotional"? It'd sure save a lot of trouble. Like... Saying you judge solos by how emotional they are. Makes it sound like it's an inherent property, doesn't it? Whereas if you say "I judge solos on a scale of how much they appeal to my musical intellect", that'd be something no misunderstandings could come from.

And ofcourse, all the regulars of the shred forum undoubtedly agree speed doesn't matter in "emotion", as you call it.

Only retarded, smallminded, megalomanic bigots think that. And boy, are there a lot of them.

Ofcourse, that partially comes forth from the in my opinion much too free use of the word "emotion".
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Resiliance
Now then, for the response...

Note selection has little to do with what people term as emotion. Phrasing is a much more encompassing thing for what people term as emotion. You kindof said this, but your terminology is wrong.

I don't agree with your use of the word emotional. What's wrong with saying "I like it" instead of "It's emotional"? It'd sure save a lot of trouble. Like... Saying you judge solos by how emotional they are. Makes it sound like it's an inherent property, doesn't it? Whereas if you say "I judge solos on a scale of how much they appeal to my musical intellect", that'd be something no misunderstandings could come from.

And ofcourse, all the regulars of the shred forum undoubtedly agree speed doesn't matter in "emotion", as you call it.

Only retarded, smallminded, megalomanic bigots think that. And boy, are there a lot of them.

Ofcourse, that partially comes forth from the in my opinion much too free use of the word "emotion".

whatever he said
but seriously dude
its not note selection
and we dont argue about greenday
i dont know where that came from
Quote by apocalypse13

Quote by Beckerism
I ain't ghetto foo! I's just keeping it real!

Keep it real man.
Click.
Bah Humbug!
My Youtube Vids

"Be formless... shapeless like water.

If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle.

Water can flow, and it can crash....Be water, my friend..." - Bruce Lee
personally i get tired of hearing about all the emotion bull**** use it if you want but i just want to hear creative well thought out music emotionless or not

shut up and play yer guitar!!!!!! lol
The guitar player might feel something when he composes or plays, but it's ultimately up to the listener to decide wether or not the song gives him a certain emotion.

For instance: I like black metal. Certain black metal songs are "emotional" to me, in that they make me feel empowered, relaxed etc. But many other people think b.m. is crap and just some guitar noise with drums and growls, so it makes them sick and annoys them, which is a different reaction from mine.

And this probably has little to do with what the band was feeling when they recorded their song or played it on stage.

And wether or not a song is fast or slow, is irrelevant.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by TheUltimateSin
Not this nonesense again...

lol, Jimi Hendrix thread all over again.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
there really needs to be an "ONLY what is shred/wanking=shred?/ur gay/what is emotion/is shred emotion thread"
Emotion isn't the be all and end all of how to judge a solo.

Just because you sit there and tell us all that you judge solo's on emotion doesn't mean we are all going to jump at you thinking you are some kind of musical-emotional-filled-genius. I don't care if you have some sort of emotio-meter, I like a solo if it sounds good. End of.
Quote by malmsteen61
personally i get tired of hearing about all the emotion bull**** use it if you want but i just want to hear creative well thought out music emotionless or not

shut up and play yer guitar!!!!!! lol

+1

we could go on arguing about this emotion **** all day...whats the point

play guitar
Quote by psychodelia
lol, Jimi Hendrix thread all over again.

That drove me crazy enough as it is. I don't need to see a re-run of it
Quote by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Quote by Mad Marius
The guitar player might feel something when he composes or plays, but it's ultimately up to the listener to decide wether or not the song gives him a certain emotion.

For instance: I like black metal. Certain black metal songs are "emotional" to me, in that they make me feel empowered, relaxed etc. But many other people think b.m. is crap and just some guitar noise with drums and growls, so it makes them sick and annoys them, which is a different reaction from mine.

And this probably has little to do with what the band was feeling when they recorded their song or played it on stage.

And wether or not a song is fast or slow, is irrelevant.

Exactly.
Deadly badgers made my weed