If anyone considers themselves a pretty decent guitar player and can shred I'd like you to tell me how you learned to shred. I've been playing guitar for 4-5 yrs and I've been hung around a lot of classic rock and blues rock type stuff but I just really want to be about to all out shred. I've never taken any lessons but I feel I can hold my own on the guitar. I would preferrably like to hear from someone that learned to shred on their own and not from taking lessons. But if have taken lessons and would like to teach me anyways go ahead. If anyone has any websites or anything at all that could help me with this let me know. Thanks.

P.S. I'm talking like Buckethead, Kirk Hammet, Eddie Van Halen type shredding.
Practice.
It's not what you want to hear, but: Practice.
Play scales, learn solo's from whatever bands you listen to, just practice.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Oh I know i have to practice and would love to practice at it i just dont really know what to practice...I was hoping someone could give me something to get me in the right direction
Probably your best bet is the John Petrucci Rock Discipline book.
George W. Bush for President 2012

We can do it if we work together!
sweeping, tapping, economy picking, tremelo picking, string skiping, legato, scales...learn all of these and then use it to play shred
start at the lessons section of UG
Check out my latest recording on my profile
If you don't have a metronome yet, get one right now. Get off your computer, go get it, come back to UG. Playing fast is nothing if it isn't in time.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
You've got the lessons sections of UG here at your disposal. There's a good few articles and even a few videos on shredding and techniques that are widely used. Also, learn more and more songs. It's a good way to practice techniques and keep yourself interested.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
When you get your metronome practice slow. If you practice slow and get everything down perfectly then speed it up you will be in time and you won't be sloppy. If you just practice fast all of the time you'll be really sloppy because you won't get your technique down right.

For now this metronome will due; http://www.metronomeonline.com/
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
1. Wank Hammett doesn't shred. Quickly played pentatonic scales are not shredding.

2. And i learned by practicing a lot. That's the only way, there's no way to "learn" how to shred, you just build up the technique until you're at a level that could be considered shredding.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
learn some pentatonic scales and play them until your fingers bleed. they really help, and once you get good at them, you can play some really crazy **** I noticed a lot of people hate those scales, but, whatever. They sound pretty sick and they are easy to improv with
Also work on sweeping, alternate picking, hammer-ons, pull-offs, pinch harmonics (they really pull together a solo especially at the end of one) and work on TAPPPING! MOST AWESOME TECHNIQUE EVER!!!! lol

k, i have spread my (limited) knowledge of shred check out some of the lesson articles on this site
and work on TAPPPING! MOST AWESOME TECHNIQUE EVER!!!! lol

are you on crack?

lol. tapping the best technique. lol.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Everyone here want to be shredder you fool!!, then get lost if you're just say a word only...
Go find something in this site, do you think shred is like a biscuit? Sorry to say you fool... (to jayzim17)
Shredding involves more than repeating the 1234 exersise at 5 billion notes per second, a thing only John Pettruci can do .

Just thought Id like to clear that up, as some peoples minds are clouded over with beliefs such as "shredding is gay". Let me tell you here and now, when Pettruci plays so fast that he burns a whole through the Sun, youll be crapping your pants in awe.

On a more serious note, shredding takes a lot of time and will not be an easy ride. You will cramp up, bleed, ache and be frustrated. I am currently half way to be a shredder, I can play much faster than I ever could before I started to practise shred, and overall much better.

There is one great thing about shredding, once you get there and can match Vai or someone note-for-note, then you can feel proud. Shredders have pride, in that they can play faster than anyone else. It feels great when you start to see that you are getting faster, and greater still when you reach the speed you were aiming for.

For tips on how to practise, firstly get Guitar Pro. Get the free version and if the evaluation time runs out just uninstal, delete and download it again. On it you have an amazing feature, a built in Speed Trainer.

With this you can set it on which bars you want to improve on, which tempos which you want to start and finish at, and how much the tempo goes up after each repetition. This works wonders for me. Download some shred from UG, or make up your own scales and exersises.

Good luck
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Totally self taught, which worked great for me, but is not for everybody. Its basically about self-discipline when you are on your own. I would like to get a teacher sometime, as I have heard that it would really help. But seeing as I am doing so well on my own, and that it can be such a hassel finding a good enough teacher I shall just continue as I am for a while.

I do however take Piano lessons, and the theory for that is connected with the guitar, which sometimes helps.
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

well, let me clarify right now that shred is not just playing fast...playing fast with no sense of arrangement or direction is commonly called "wanking", and you don't want to end up doing that...practicing technique exercises 24/7 will get your chops up, but what good are chops if you don't know how to use them? you must balance technique with the music itself...set some practice time aside to study theory, and most importantly, improvise

many guitarists just practice technique and learn songs...well, it's good for your hands, but the reality is that music is a hearing-based entity, and playing 20+ nps isn't going to be pleasing to hear unless you know how to do it...here's a few things you should add to your practice schedule if you haven't already -

1. Improvisation - Download a backing track (or record one) and play over it; put those scales to use and learn how to use them, see them as more than just patterns

2. Ear Training - Learn what intervals sound like, work on relative pitch (being able to name or sing an interval), really listen to your playing...what sounds good behind this chord? what doesn't? would this phrasing sound better? - all of this goes hand-in-hand with (1)

the perfect "manual" that mixes technique with other aspects of music is Troy Stetina's "Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar" - i guarantee that it'll be worth it, it not only gives example of what to practice, but also how to practice, and learning this is probably the most important thing you can learn if you want to shred
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
try to learn other shredders songs, theory!!!!!

dont only know scales but know why they connect as a whole.
Quote by cubedeathk
Probably your best bet is the John Petrucci Rock Discipline book.

I agree that this is a great resource, but one problem is that you really don't learn HOW to play (ie you may be practicing the techniques wrong). But maybe the Petrucci DVDs would be a nice complement...I just recently found sections from them on Google Video.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=petrucci

I've been on a kind of plateau lately so I changed my picking technique and I just bought the "Guitar Principles" book about correct practice. I'll probably also get Troy Stetina's book since I've seen at least three good recommendations for it. (including axe_grinder's above =) )
Gear:
Schecter Diamond Series Gryphon
PRS Tremonti SE - silver
Squier Telecaster - black
Line 6 Spyder II 75W
Crybaby 535Q WAH
Last edited by brosbm at Sep 4, 2006,
i love how the guy on the other page said hammett is a pentatonic wanker (examine his solo's and you'll realize this is HIGHLY untrue) but essentially, what these other guys have said, lots of practice and learn some music theory, more advanced music theory will start giving basic classical motifs and guidelines for improv so that you can always construct a decent sounding solo in the beginning (but there are only so many things you can do with those guidelines but chances are by then you will realize how to expand beyond that) and i used to be adamant nonbeliever in dissonance but it can be used very well to put certain feelings across that you couldn't get with consonance if you had to, but with dissonance there are a couple levels, one being "it sounds awful" which is usually (not always) to out there for my tastes (except for dimebag, a guitar in his hands was freakin magic) , "it sounds good but off" which is usually as dissonant as i like to get (me personally at least, dimebag could do all these like there was nothing to it) and "kinda dissonant but it still sounds really good" which is what i often go for
oh yeah, one more thing, speed is a byproduct of clean precise practice over many years, practice and learn sloppy then your speed will be sloppy.
Quote by axe_grinder247
well, let me clarify right now that shred is not just playing fast...

......No, that is basically what shred is

Quote by axe_grinder247
playing fast with no sense of arrangement or direction is commonly called "wanking"

So true.
Quote by Robbie n strat

Quote by notoriousnumber
......No, that is basically what shred is

would you like to argue about this or just go to the shred forum and say that? apparently you haven't the slightest idea of what shred really is, so i suggest you enlighten yourself here
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
use the pentatonic scale to practice cycles down the scale
ex:

meow :3