Hey everyone.

I can play Europa by Santana, but in the song his guitar has nearly endless sustain! Seriously it goes on forever. And when I play my SG (cheapish copy) through my Line6 Spider 2 112 (i know you all hate it) my sustain doesn't even compare, and I've heard SG's are supposed to be pretty good for sustain. I am going to be getting a Fender Standard Fat Strat soon, and I've heard that these aren't very good for sustain. I was wondering, would there be any way for me to get the same amount of sustain as on that song, using a Fender Fat Strat through a Line6 spider 2 112?
get a brass nut, locking tuners, and a compressor pedal.
with all that youll probably get like 4 minute sustain
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
use a lot of vibrato (i think thats what its called) bending the string slitely one way after the other) and do it fast, should sustain a while.
chobbsy, I have tried that, It does hold the note longer but it seems more like the actual sustain stops and then you're just hearing it because you're moving the string.

Compressor pedal sounds cool, is there any you would suggest?

Just searched GAK for compressor pedals, how would any of these 3 be?

Behringer CS100 - http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=68724

Marshall ED1 - http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=8957

Boss CS-3 - http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=2408

Note that I wouldn't really want to spend any more £££ than the price of these.
i dont know anything about those compressors, i dont even have one
i was just telling you things that i know will increase sustain
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
pedals and accessories aren't good subsitute for a good amp and guitar.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
I think £69 is too much, Don't you think any of the pedal's I put links to would be any good? I wouldn't really wanna spend any more than the price of those pedals.

To danzg, ok mate I was just asking anyone who cares to read this thread.

Edit: Ah sorry just read through what I wrote, thanks for the help anyway mate.
Last edited by This_Kidd at Sep 2, 2006,
pedals and accessories aren't good subsitute for a good amp and guitar.

Yes but if he is ok with his sound and only wants this sustain the pedal is a good idea.
yeah, the boss sounds the best of the three. never heard of the marshall, but they make some nice pedals.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Santana uses vintage mesa amps and custom PRS guitars you cant honestly expect to get that tone with cheap ****
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by This_Kidd
I think £69 is too much, Don't you think any of the pedal's I put links to would be any good? I wouldn't really wanna spend any more than the price of those pedals.

The Dyna comp is only 70 USD. Plus, I dont know if any of those are that good, I have just searched and a lot of people said Dyna comp > Boss compressor
a brass nut would be cheaper....i think compressors affect your tone, they chnage it a bit, but i think its in a positive way....
brass nut will just let the strings vibrate longer
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Quote by Syn Harvest
Santana uses vintage mesa amps and custom PRS guitars you cant honestly expect to get that tone with cheap ****

First, he uses other amps as well as mesa's.

Second, he didn't say he expected to get that tone, shut the f*ck up. He wants sustain, you can get a sustainer installed into the guitar and it will still sound the same if it didn't have a sustainer.
Hi.

I'm like..so cool

Quote by ?øXÍÇÍ?¥

Cheesemuffin > les paul

Runner Up for best guitarist...

Meh better than nothing
hey ****er shut up i missed that he wasnt looking for tone.

ok then look into a fernades sustainer never used one but heard they are very nice
Glue something big onto it. Something big and useless. Like a Marshall MG.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
What I do for that song, is I put my humbucker-equipped guitar into a Boss DS-1 into a Damage Control Womanizer into a tube amp. Basically, I am using a distortion to boost an overdrive. This gives me endless sustain, it literally does not stop until I take my fingers off and mute the strings. Of course, I use plenty of vibrato, but that is really to color the sound artistically, not to increase sustain or anything.

Note: If you use single coils (seems to work better with my strat) to do this, you can turn your guitar slightly towards the amp and get a nice feedback noise, not quite right for Europa, but cool nevertheless.
It is always expected that users on the forums with "syn" "a7x" etc are going to be flames periodically for some unknown reason.

Compressors all the way. Set your attack to zero, level to high, sustain to max etc, there you go.
Quote by CheeseMuffin909
First, he uses other amps as well as mesa's.

Yeah, the other amps he uses are Dumbles

Anyway, a technique that Santana uses to get his infinite sustain is to stand a certain distance from the amp, facing it. If you get it right, the feedback from the amp will be enough to keep you sustaining. Ofcourse, you need to turn up. Loud. Live, Santana turns his Mesas up to 8 or something.

And guys, tone is in the fingers.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
I sometimes wish I had those tones..........
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by Invictious
It is always expected that users on the forums with "syn" "a7x" etc are going to be flames periodically for some unknown reason.

Compressors all the way. Set your attack to zero, level to high, sustain to max etc, there you go.

Hey wait a minute are you talking about me. If so my name has nothing to do with that A7X or any of its members. Its actually from a video game
Quote by Syn Harvest
Hey wait a minute are you talking about me. If so my name has nothing to do with that A7X or any of its members. Its actually from a video game

haha yea, too bad

So if I got a compressor/sustainer pedal alone, and didn't get a brass nut or anything, would that give me enough sustain?
I thought it was a compressor/sustainer pedal kinda they go together........ could you send me a link to a sustain pedal please. preferably not an expensive one :P