Page 1 of 2
Im new to Bass and i did some searching and found out there are such things as bass chords.(as in strumming ) Mind you, all I've ever listened to was rock,but i've never heard any bass chords being strummed in songs at all.Is it used more in funk or what?I heard Geddy Lee has experimented with them.Can someone give me more info?
Gibson SG Special
Marshal AVT275x Amp
Steve harris (Iron Maiden) uses them a lot. the intros to fear of the dark, the reincarnation of banjamin breeg etc. In those two songs he also incorporates them into the main song.

Les claypool (primus/solo/god knows how many others) uses them too- he applies flamenco style strumming to his lines, he really is unique in my opinion.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
Les probably got flamenco style from Geddy.

Aces High is another song w/ bass chords (well, not technically, power chords) in the intro.

Tool has some cool chord work (in the 2 note sense, not the 100% correct 3 notes = 1 chord sense)
haha
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Les probably got flamenco style from Geddy.

What's flamenco style? :P
AFAIK, Using one finger to strike a string and hitting it twice per each tiem you send your finger down, because you hit it once bringing the finger down, once bringing it up.
haha
The intro to Orion by Metallica has Cliff using bass chords.

INTRO
G|--------4-----------|
D|-----------------4--|
A|-7------5-------6-|
E|-0------------------|
K but are there any basic chords on bass?or are they all power-chord-like(referring to guitar)
Gibson SG Special
Marshal AVT275x Amp
Quote by MustangMan311
The intro to Orion by Metallica has Cliff using bass chords.

INTRO
G|--------4-----------|
D|-----------------4--|
A|-7------5-------6-|
E|-0------------------|

am I the only one who doesn't the barre chord there?

flamenco is a type of strumming usually done by guitarists (preferably flamenco guitarists, go figure) that involves using the very tip of your fingers or fingernails almost pick like. John the Fisherman and American Life are my two favorite examples of it, both by Primus.

Quote by Mattga
K but are there any basic chords on bass?or are they all power-chord-like(referring to guitar)

chords are the same on any instrument. notes are notes.

If you're referring to chord shapes, there's only a few that really work on bass on the lower area of the fretboard, and if you play guitar you know them. Your standard major & minor barre chords, along with the pinky-plays-root-ring-plays-third-if-major-middle-plays-third-if-minor-index-plays-fifth-going-right-to-left way of playing the chord (yeah I don't know what to call it. John Frusciante's cool F shape. Idk. lol.) The non-barre chords can be a large stretch sometimes.

but if your looking for chords... learn how to form them.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by UtBDan
am I the only one who doesn't the barre chord there?

I'm just following a tab, and I'm not the biggest Metallica fan, so I'm not one-hundred percent sure on this. But, I do like playing it this way.
dont forget me- rhcp, just 4 different cords and muting throughout the song
were all a bunch of brothers livin in a cool way along with 6 million others in a place called L.A. --out in L.A. by rhcp
Quote by MustangMan311
I'm just following a tab, and I'm not the biggest Metallica fan, so I'm not one-hundred percent sure on this. But, I do like playing it this way.

I know, but Im looking at the tab, and based on this and what you're saying, I can assume that you don't know what makes a chord a "barre" chord.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
I've found that playing anything other than powerchords on the bass sounds horrible and muddy with no clear definition.

One of the songs in this band (www.myspace.com/13riots) has a bass powerchord intro if you like that kind of thing. Also, if you're looking for a well known song with them in, 'Don't Forget Me' by RHCP and 'Carousel' by Blink 182 both have bass powerchords. I'm pretty sure that Flea often uses them abit...

Not too sure to be honest.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
^That is ridiculously untrue. There are hundreds of chords that can be built on a bass that don't sound muddy or horrible. Just because you don't know how to do it doesn't mean you should make those assumptions.
i use chording(playing, then letting the notes ring together) sometimes

another good song with chording is to defy the laws of tradition by primus.

and chords on bass are more than powerchords, you can use fourths, major thirds, minor thirds, octaves(fun and cool sounding), any other imaginable interval.

and chords are used alot in tapping.(myself, anyways.)

edit: don't forget the James Bond 'kill' chord
Chords played by themseleves can sound muddy, so its best to play them note by note (chording?). This way you get the effect of the chord, but it a much nicer way.
if you listen to alot of jazz stuff you get some great chord stuff, especially with harmonics etc
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by UtBDan
I know, but Im looking at the tab, and based on this and what you're saying, I can assume that you don't know what makes a chord a "barre" chord.

Isn't a barre chord where you lay your finger down accross all the strings and play it?
They can sound good, you just need them to be higher up on the fretboard preferably, because the lower the notes, the muddier it'll sound. i dont think there's any certain chord you cant play on bass, you just have to find the right voicing. (Unless you say you NEED this chord to have 5 notes, on a 4 string bass).

Also there used more often if theres no rythmn guitar in the band (Primus, Tool) the biggest exception is Steve Harris of Maiden. And dont think you have to use it just to say "yeah i can do bass chords". 2 reasons: 1) NEVER do something JUST for the sake of doing it, have a reason for it, i apply this to a LOT of things, even outside of music
2) bass chords are the same as guitar chords, piano chords, ANY chords, there all chords, so just says "Chords done on the bass guitar" , or "chords on bass".

just learn theory and chord structure, thats what i did and i know more than enough to know when to put in chords, what kind to use, and which voicings work best!

And btw, im back from Poland for my 3 week vacation. New Glasses, New Hair (Shorter ), New 50CC 2 Seater up to 70km/h Scooter (im 15 but my dad lets me ride it around town.. ive already put like 20+ km on it and i bought it yesterday, i had to ride it home from the dealership )

Oh and lets not forget a new pack of Ernie ball Reg Slinky's just when i thought My SR505 was missing something (slap and tap tone) i was proven wrong the only problem was my 6 month old strings (the B and E were older, tho i dont know how old, got em with the bass, and the bass was used)
Quote by 4string-tsurigi

edit: don't forget the James Bond 'kill' chord

Dude, that's a painful chord to reach...
haha
Quote by Bumper
^That is ridiculously untrue. There are hundreds of chords that can be built on a bass that don't sound muddy or horrible. Just because you don't know how to do it doesn't mean you should make those assumptions.

I never said that there weren't other chords. I'm just saying that those that I've tried have sounded horrible. And when I say a powerchord, I mean more than just a root note and the fifth. I'm including any chord where only two notes are being played. I'm note counting arpeggios. But for example if I played a standard (practically the first chord all budding guitarists learn) E minor chord across all four strings it sounds manky. I know it sounds stupid but that's why I've avoided doing anything other than non-arpeggiated, two-string chords, generally in the higher registers. I'm not saying that there aren't those that don't sound muddy, I'm just saying that those I've been bothered to try out have been.

And can somebody tab out the James Bond 'kill' chord?
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Tabbed version:

C 18
G 20
D 17
A 19
E 0
B

And I stand by my original saying, it's a damn pain to finger.
haha
When I get bored I just make up chords that aren't crazy muddy, which is a problem with bass chords. I don't know if they're actually chords but here are some...

G---10---
D---12---
A---11---
E----------

G--12--
D--10--
A--11--
E-------

G---14----
D---17----
A---15----
E---------
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
I try to write solo jazz pieces with alot of chords in them.

Here are the chords to a piece I'm currently working on:

G|-15--15--13--10--8--11-|
D|-15--14--13--11--9--12-|
A|-----------------------|
E|-15--13--12--9---7--10-|
Quote by hatebreed219

G---10---
D---12---
A---11---
E----------

G--12--
D--10--
A--11--
E-------

G---14----
D---17----
A---15----
E---------

those are D diminished, Abmaj7, and Am7.

yo udon't know if they're chords? any set of 3 different notes is a chord, whether its easy to name or not...
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
I guess I should specify, I don't know what chords they are, but I know that they are chords.

Oh and others I use are..

G--10--
D--10--
A---9---
E-------

G----9---
D----9---
A----10---
E-------

I use them as "ending" chords, I strum them slow so it's all dramatic and what-not.
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Last edited by hatebreed219 at Sep 3, 2006,
Listen to some Rise Against songs. Their bassist uses chords and what I believe is called droning (one open string, another fretted, ex D open G fretted). Listen to the intro the Blood to Bleed by Rise Against, as well as Life Less Frightening's breakdown has some chords. I use bass chords (technically not, they are only 2 notes) in some of my band's originals. It's all experimenting, octaves, fifths, etc. If you think of it liek that, it makes you feel intelligent and sound good.

Oh, and I would stray away from using the E string in chords. It just gets all muddya nd effs everything up. Stick to teh other three. Just my expierience though.
Quote by GreenDayChris
I drink, and say oi occasionally. but I can't get laid to save my life.

Quote by Symphonic_Chaos
MX4Life you fucking godhaha
Last edited by MX4Life at Sep 3, 2006,
Two notes played simultaneously (sp?) is a double stop.

3 or more is a chord.
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
stu hamm does a lot of chord stuff. anyone that has tried his infamous solo knows this.

and i've been experimenting with slapping and popping chord shapes. gives a funk technique a punk feel.
Quote by hatebreed219
I guess I should specify, I don't know what chords they are, but I know that they are chords.

Oh and others I use are..

G--10--
D--10--
A---9---
E-------

G----9---
D----9---
A----10---
E-------

I use them as "ending" chords, I strum them slow so it's all dramatic and what-not.
i think the second one is used in the organ part in erotomania-dream theater
I've only heard on DT song ever...Metropolis Pt. 1

....Crazy.
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
For some incredible chord playing on bass, look for Carles Benavent, the bassist for Paco de Lucia (flamenco guitarist) and Chick Corea (jazz pianist). Prepare to be blown away at his approach. He does not play bass like a bass, but plays it like a guitar--with a pick.

And he plays all sorts of jazzy chords on his 5 string fretted bass (Jerzy Drozd "Barcelona" bass) tuned E A D G C. His chords are not muddy at all, because of the high C string. Very clear tones and quite melodic, too.

His early stuff (pre-1995) was done on a fretless Gibson EB-2 4-string, but he has advanced over to a fretted 5-string, so that he can play much more complicated stuff with greater precision.

It is very hard to find, but if you go to www.esflamenco.com and look up Carles Benavent, you will find many of his sessions. One of these--"El Concierto de Sevilla" is a trio setting with Jorge Pardo on sax and flute, and Tino Di Geraldo on drum kit. You may think it sounds very sparse, but the bass takes on a triple role of holding the bottom down, providing a melody line, and playing chords! Plus, all of it is true to the traditional flamenco rhythms! This is modern flamenco--it doesn't even need a guitar.

Sure, other bassists play chord on their bass, but Carles makes the serpentine melodies of flamenco sound effortless and fluid. It is not easy stuff. You have to know the rhythms and feels of flamenco first, and then you have to be able to play like a great jazz musician on top of it, since a lot of it is improvised. And he does all this live on the CD, warts and all--but you don't hear any warts.

Victor Wooten speaks highly of Carles Benavent--you can't ignore that kind of praise, coming from someone like Wooten.

There are a lot of bassists out there who are probably much faster tappers or more exciting to watch than Carles for their slap and pop abilities, but you have to understand that Carles' style is very unique and is well known in the flamenco world (he is the "first to call" for flamenco bass sessions). I would pair him up with the likes of Pat Metheny on guitar--easy on the ears, but melodically monsters on their instruments. He is a monster on his instrument--and he plays chords his bass. Boy, does he ever...!

Gives Carles Benavent a listen. You may want to go and get a 5 string bass with a high C afterwards...
Jaco de Lucia.

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!
^Thanks to your constant babbling about mister Benvent I've actually listened to a few songs and I'm now in the process of rebuilding my Stringray 5 copy into a five string tenor (EADGC)! You're killing me man, my wallet isn't going to be able to handle this!
Those are nice dissonant chords. Any chord that throws a b2 , b9, or a 7 interval in it is gonna get a nice dissonant sound, especially when you throw in a b5 or b6. You have to level out a lot of eq stuff on your amp to get the chords to ring out without turning muddy. A compressor would probably help a little too, smooth out your chords a bit.
Quote by thealmightyRIS
Those are nice dissonant chords. Any chord that throws a b2 , b9, or a 7 interval in it is gonna get a nice dissonant sound, especially when you throw in a b5 or b6. You have to level out a lot of eq stuff on your amp to get the chords to ring out without turning muddy. A compressor would probably help a little too, smooth out your chords a bit.

A 7th chord is a b7th, unless stated as "Maj 7th", which is when its actually the last degree of a major scale.

And the 7th and the b6 arent as dissonant as the other ones you talked about.
Quote by Bumper
^Thanks to your constant babbling about mister Benvent I've actually listened to a few songs and I'm now in the process of rebuilding my Stringray 5 copy into a five string tenor (EADGC)! You're killing me man, my wallet isn't going to be able to handle this!

wouldn't you just get a new nut and string? or am i missing somthing?
^Under normal circumstances I would, but this bass has three broken tuning keys, and a broken bridge. So I have to actually put a significant amount of money into it.
Page 1 of 2