Ok, when I try asking my friends for some funk stuff.. they don't know what the hell to think.. they're all caught up in metal and stuff (not bass-fun:P).. I tried finding songs on my own, they're all boring and dull basslines...

My question is, what funk songs are semi-hard to learn and also sound good when you're playing alone? People keep telling me to try out Red Hot Chili Peppers.. but that's not exactly hard enough for me...

Help me out if you can, thanks :P

P.S. I can only figure out 'intermediate' songs out by ear, so please try naming songs that will be easy to find tabs for, thanks. :p
Just slap & pop and make your own.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
"around the world" rhcp is the best i can think of
Quote by GuitarHobbiest
What exactly is a powerchord?

Quote by laid_to_waste
My trouser snake is friendly. If you pet him, he might even do a trick! think I'm going to hell for that one.
yea try some p-funk, do a search for parliament funkadelic
Quote by GuitarHobbiest
What exactly is a powerchord?

Quote by laid_to_waste
My trouser snake is friendly. If you pet him, he might even do a trick! think I'm going to hell for that one.
About the Primus, I have learned a bunch of their songs already :P but when you play them it sounds sort of weird... I want songs that really have good melodies to them.

About the "parliament funkadelic".. is that a band or genre?
Anything RHCP and if you are extreemly talented Victor Wooten is your man
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
RHCP is boring in my opinion... Wooten is too good for me. :P

If anyone has the correct tab to Power by Marcus Miller, can you PM it to me? Been looking for it for a long time.
Sly and the family stone is pretty easy, As well as Graham central station.

Try some "the winstons" as well. They are all very funky bands and have pretty easy songs.
Pedulla MVP5
Gibson Grabber
Warmoth Antigua PJ
Ovation Magnum 1
i dont understand, you dont want easy songs because they are easy and boring to play????

if so then you know nothing about funk my friend.
Quote by watchingmefall
I thought that funk wasn´t about speed and being ultra hard... i thought it was about making some sweet groove

x2
Quote by watchingmefall
I thought that funk wasn´t about speed and being ultra hard... i thought it was about making some sweet groove

thats 100% true
were all a bunch of brothers livin in a cool way along with 6 million others in a place called L.A. --out in L.A. by rhcp
agreed ^
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
Funkadelic (for funk rock), Parliament (for pure funk), Sly & the Family Stone, James Brown & the JBs, Defunkt, Kool & the Kang, KC & the Sunshine Band, Tower of Power... um... others? that should be a starting point.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Im going to add to Sly and The Family Stone, P-funk, and Tower of Power. These were the pioneers of funk.
Once you get to the top, the only way to go is down.
um, chilis is not boring. try looking at older songs maybe? not just ****in Stadium Arcadium like all the other faggots in the world. look at anything up to one hot minute. try aeroplane for a start, and listen to these people, funk is not about speed or technicality. its about feeling the groove.

p.s. you say you want funk, but you never heard of parliament funkadelic? i dont understand...
Like I said before, improvise...
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
When looking at Funkadelic, I strongly seggust the self titled debut. Great instrumentalism. The riff from Mommy What's a Funkadelic? is a classic.

Also, judging from your user name, if you haven't checked out the live shows from Phish's "funk" era of jamming (Halloween '96 ish on for a while) you definately should. It'll help your improvisation tons.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
Quote by UtBDan
Funkadelic (for funk rock), Parliament (for pure funk), Sly & the Family Stone, James Brown & the JBs, Defunkt, Kool & the Kang, KC & the Sunshine Band, Tower of Power... um... others? that should be a starting point.

+1 to Tower of Power.
+1 to KC & the Sunshine Band.
Stanley Clarke
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
I might get my ass kicked for saying this as it's not as funky as the other stuff being mentioned but Kool and the Gang, try Jungle Boogie. No, it's not hard but as everyone's said Funk isn't about being difficult, it's all about the groove. And Jungle Boogie is actually an awsome song to improvise over. The verses are all repeated so you can have some fun and improve every second or fourth verse. Once again i back the Chillis, Aeroplane isn't one the best funk lines, my favourite would probably be Mellowship Slinky in B major (which isn't in B major. It has a flat7, but i can't remember what that's called) or If You Have to Ask with all the fills. I know what you mean when you say Primus just sounds weird but i think it depends on what songs you play. Learn To Defy The Laws of Tradition, that's a fun song to play. Mellowship Slinky in B Major is probably the funnest Funk lines for me. Good luck, have fun
i got a question, is there any theroy for when writing funk lines, or slap pop funk lines
Quote by Jonny182
i got a question, is there any theroy for when writing funk lines, or slap pop funk lines

No, you write it like most other music. Except funk is all about the groove and the feel. One way I write funk basslines, is a come in with two bars of 8th notes (16 notes total). I then put 16th rests in at random locations. This gives me a rythm. Then I go back and take the scale/mode/key the song is in, and use those notes to apply pitches to each of the notes I have. This most of the time will develop a "funked" feel and will have a great groove to it.

I find that slap is all about feeling. If you try to slap a line that doesn't feel right, then it probably isn't a good slap line. The best slap lines are ones with great flow and feel. One such example is "Silly Putty" by Stanley Clarke.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
^, i would disagree. For funk, and by that i mean real funk, not just something that you think is funky.. It's based around root-octave and b7th (and the octave of the b7th). if you listen to funk, it's mostly based around that. Add some muted notes to give it the groove and you're away. Equally, i say with slap, many people can slap but they dont have groove. It's not about slapping really fast, it's about establishing a groove and sticking to it. Muted notes, both slapped and popped, are the best way to establish this groove.

And most funk players dont slap their lines, they use fingerstyle

But seriously, for funk.. some people can feel it, and some peple can't.
Level 42 have brilliant funk basslines you should try the saongs "dance on heavy weather", "Hot Water" or " The Sun Goes Down.
Quote by Kendawg4TooL
You know you're a bassist when you think a guitar is just some freaky type of short scale, six string bass.

This is The Central Scrutinizer......
I think you've gotta be careful with your use of octaves, because it's very easy to stray into really bad Disco territory.

On that note, Chic is another band to check out - they're Disco, yeah. But their bassist was one groovy mofo.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.