Alright today I went out to Long & McQuades (the only real big music store in Canada lol) about 30 mins away. I discovered that my local music store is pretty overpriced so now im making the trip to Long & McQuades from now on.

Alright so I fell in love with this Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio w/ Floyd Rose, and I ended up buying it.

Well, ive never had a Floyd Rose bridge before, and while i was playing a broke a string, (damn those were **** strings). My question is, can anyone explain how to change the strings on a Floyd Rose bridge and also, how to tune it correctly. Im not a complete beginner here, this is my fourth guitar, just my first time using a Floyd Rose.

EDIT: I read the thing on the Floyd Rose website, I still dont really get it.
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
Yeah I got that part, the bridge is the confusing part for changing strings. And Im still really confused at tuning it, becuase when I tune 1 string others go out.
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
go back to the store and get them to...use the things on the end of the bridge turn. them to tune it...
Heres how to change the string on a floyd rose

1. Take the locking nuts off of the nut using an alen key

2. Completely slacken off the string until there is no tension left on it, this is important or you will get a face full of string.

3. At the bridge there is a saddle block for each string, lossen off the saddle block for the string you have slackened off. This is done with an alen key again.

4. The string will now come free from the bridge when you pull it up the way.

5. Cut the ball end off of the new string using a pair of snips.

6. Place the new string into the bridge and tighten the saddle block up using the alen key, do not over tighten as you will break the saddle. But make sure it is tight enough to hold the string firmly in place.

7. Pass the sting up the neck and over the nut, thread through the machine head and tighten as normal.

8. Tune the string up to pitch and then stretch it a couple of times. Re-tune the string and then repeat the stretching until a stable tunning is achieved.

9. Replace the locking nuts onto the nut and tighten.

10. Use the micro tuners on the bridge to fine tune the string to the correct pitch.
Make sure you balance the floyd rose when you're tuning. When you tune up the bridge tends to rise and when you tune down the bridge does the opposite. I remember when I first tuned my rg1570, it took an hour or so just to get everything perfect. Now it only takes 2-5 min

As for the strings going in and out of tune. Do it in this order, after unlocking the nuts...

1) tune low to high E-A-D-G-B-e

2) check the floyd rose to see if it's risen, if it has then use a screw driver and on the back of the guitar, twist the screws. Inward, I believe, lowers the bridge...if not it's then Out :-P (also this WILL either raise or lower pitch of strings so you'll have to go back and forth between this and tuning manually...always make sure the bridge is parallel to the guitar)

3) tune low to high again...the strings don't have to be EXACT on the notes but they should be within the range. You can always use the fine tuners after everything is set up and locked in place.

4) lower/raise the bridge again if necessary

5) repeat anything above if needed

6) lock the nut(s)

7) use the fine tuners

If you wanna drop d or c or whateva, get yourself a tremol-no for about 75 bucks (including tax and shipping) so yeah :-P I find it quite handy. It blocks off the trem so the bridge stays still and doesn't 'see-saw' (sp?) out of place, so it's like a hardtail.
Ibanez RG1570 and RG1527
Black Ibanez Acoustic
30w Roland Cube Amp
Boss Metal Zone
Ex7 effects pedal
Last edited by o0_ryan_0o at Sep 2, 2006,
Quote by Prk Marshall
Heres how to change the string on a floyd rose

1. Take the locking nuts off of the nut using an alen key

2. Completely slacken off the string until there is no tension left on it, this is important or you will get a face full of string.

3. At the bridge there is a saddle block for each string, lossen off the saddle block for the string you have slackened off. This is done with an alen key again.

4. The string will now come free from the bridge when you pull it up the way.

5. Cut the ball end off of the new string using a pair of snips.

6. Place the new string into the bridge and tighten the saddle block up using the alen key, do not over tighten as you will break the saddle. But make sure it is tight enough to hold the string firmly in place.

7. Pass the sting up the neck and over the nut, thread through the machine head and tighten as normal.

8. Tune the string up to pitch and then stretch it a couple of times. Re-tune the string and then repeat the stretching until a stable tunning is achieved.

9. Replace the locking nuts onto the nut and tighten.

10. Use the micro tuners on the bridge to fine tune the string to the correct pitch.

Thank you so much that is so helpful, just, where is this "saddle block"? Also, Ryan yours is very helpful too, thank you! Just need this saddle block thing cleared and im good :P
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
Last edited by JesseIbanez at Sep 2, 2006,
Saddle Block -

Seems everyone have posted their guide i thought i'll post mine. This is including video on how to restring your floyd rose. Dont mean to brag but this has been pretty helpful to UGers, hope it does to you...

Tuning Floyd Rose:
1) Loosen the locking nut
2) Set your fine tuners to middle position
3) Tune up your guitar to standard or whichever tunings u wish. "Cross-tuning" between strings if you want easier. Tune the low E string> A string> low E string again> D string> low E string>A string... and so forth. Keep repeating for all strings. To make it more easier, tune the low E generally a bit sharper or about half step sharper, so that you might not have to repeat crossing the strings again and again.
4) If the floating bridge comes out, loosen the tunings and then tighten the springs in the tremolo cavity at the back, if the bridge sinks, then vice-versa, until the bridge is parallel to the body.
5) Be patient
6) If you're happy with your tunings and your bridge is well centered, lock in the nut
7) Tune again using the fine tuners

Also some tips - You might want to have at least 3 springs and after following the tuning method above, tighten the 2 claw's screw for about 1/8th or 1/4th more. This is to prevent your floating bridge from getting stuck to the knife edges on the posts (action studs) after you bend notes. You can ignore this if your bridge/trem is reliable (e.g. Edge Pro, Edge, ZR, Lo-Pro Edge, Original Floyd Rose, Licenced Floyd Rose by Kahler/Schaller/Gotoh). But still you may face this problem even if your bridge is very good.

Stretch the strings first if they're new

More info on tuning floyd roses - http://www.floydrose.com/originaltremolo.html
Info on changing strings - http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/features/steal_this_video_re-stringing_guitar.html
Picture guide on how to perform the #4 step mentioned above - http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/floydrosetremolo.htm
http://www.jemsite.com/tech/1setup.htm#step1

------------------------------------------ madpickin03®------------------------------------------
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
hmmm also should be noted that some LFR do have a different stringing method where the strings are actually fed through the tubes so its not locked into the bridge at all.