There were two monks in a monastery doing their daily rituals. They were about to bow to their deity. One got on his knees and said "Oh master, I am nothing, I don't exist, all there is is You." The next monk bowed down even lower and said, "Oh great one, I am less than nothing! I don't exist and I never did. You are all there is! In the corner, a janitor was sweeping the temple and watching the monks. He thought to himself, "Hmmmm, that looks pretty good! I think I'll try that." He walked over to the deity and bowed while the monks watched him. He said, "Oh, mighty one, I too am nothing, you are everything." As the two monks looked on with disdain, one said to the other, "Humph! How dare he! Look who thinks he's nothing!"

This joke is from a book I've been re-reading lately titled "Effortless Mastery - Liberating the Master Musician Within" by Kenny Werner. I like to go back to this book every so often because it's such a classic on opening up the creative pathways, and musicianship in general. Werner's primary message is that opening up the creative pathways is mostly about not closing them - not delivering those internal messages to ourselves that say we're no good, or somebody's better, or we sound bad.

If you'd like to read the rest of this, please visit my blog, Notes and Lines.
and the point is???
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...

Guys,

No joke here - sorry if something was confusing.

I don't get the "what's the point" comment but if you think there's no point, I'd like to know why?

Jeff
Quote by rockon1824
advertising, reported.

Are you kidding? He's not advertising anything that's going to make him profit - he gave a link to his website where the article is posted which just so happens to have another link on it to buy the book - it's link given with relevance to the topic, which you'll find is not against any advertising rules on UG.

Nice article jeffAMM, I enjoyed it and encourage other people to buy the book, it's fascinating and I use the meditations daily.
I've never heard of this book before, but I was already thinking on going to the music store within a week. Do you all recommend it? Could you tell me a bit more what to expect from it?
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
No joke here - sorry if something was confusing.

Oh, ok, just before you said it was a joke from your faveourite book
Hah, I really dig that. It clearly applies to more than just music too.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.