I played one today through a great amp, but it just doesn't sound good. Not to be ignorant, I tried more than one, thinking it might be just that one guitar, but no, all of them sounded about as good as a $200 Ibanez. So I'm assuming the $700 price tag was because it had Gibson on it? Also, it was very light, which is good, but isn't mahogony heavy usually?
it's light because there's a lot less body than there is on a les paul, a lot of it is cut away.
just out of curiosity, what amp did you play it on?
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
It might have been a great amp, but did you EQ it right? Since I like the sound of the Special, but just not its look or playability.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
ive played them it depends on the music you play if you play HEAVY metal or anything aorund there is will sound like **** cause its not heavy and metal pick ups sound like poop, sg's unless they are the extremely high end ones are made for like bluesy/classic rock like ac/dc and stuff not like pantera or stevie ray vaughn< even though you can get his tone u need 11. and .12 strings
Sex is good
Sex is fine
Doggy Style & 69
Just for fun
Or gettin paid
Everyone likes gettin laid
all the faded ones are crap. ive played the faded flying v also and it was worst
Motley Crue 2/11/06!
Motley Crue/Aerosmith 11/21/06!
Sanctity/BLS 3/12/07!
Bleeding Through/Slayer/Manson-7/25/07!
A7x/Operator/the Confession/Black Tide 11/25/07!
Van Halen 2/12/07!
Quote by HaKattack
No, I wouldn't. My bear's penis is off limits.
Yup you pretty much nailed it. Low end Gibsons blow.
Rolling Stones October 8th.....hell yea
cpuld you get better pick ups to make it sound better for like metal stuf?
Quote by L_Z_Nut
Who is this "Billy Joe Armstrong" you guys are talking about..... sounds made up to me.

Quote by l2p_Guitar
my penis is like 6 inches. i measured with a measuring tape and accidentally let it go, so i have cuts down the side.

RIP heaven's gate
I was using it through a Fender Deville, and I don't want to hear "duh that amp sucks for metal" because first of all, with a pedal it owns, secondly, I played cleans, distorted, with pedal and I used different EQ settings that I use on my own Deville that sound amazing on my $350 Ibanez, and it just sucked.
That amp does, in fact, suck for metal. Maybe you just do not like SG's?
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.