Here is a little piece from Classical Gas i'm trying to play. Check out the pic

If i can play this at least half decently... then this will give me a big confidence boost. It's been about 2 months of trying to learn now.
Attachments:
tab problem.JPG
It's possible it's kind of like a ghost note, as in maybe you don't have to hammer on.
It's not the fear of what's beyond
It's just that I might not respond
its a grace note, just play it like a sixteenth note
Jackson DK2M White
Mesa Dual Rec(2 channel)
Carvin V212
It's a musical ornament called a grace note - if you listen to the piece, you will hear it, but it will be scarcely perceptible.

They're generally considered unecessary to the piece and don't contribute to the melodoic or harmonic line, so whether you play them or not is entirely personal preference.

The musical term used to desribe them is acciaccatura.
I never understood these time signatures... I read and read what the book said about time signatures but never understood it lol.

But yeah so I guess I can just ignore it.

Thanks
Quote by Johnljones7443
It's a musical ornament called a grace note - if you listen to the piece, you will hear it, but it will be scarcely perceptible.

They're generally considered unecessary to the piece and don't contribute to the melodoic or harmonic line, so whether you play them or not is entirely personal preference.

The musical term used to desribe them is acciaccatura.

Listen to this guy, he's 100 percent right.
I prefer to think of it as a flam, as in drumming, whre you play the note then the following note in reeeaaaaly quick succession.
Psycho Killer,
Qu'est-ce que c'est?
Fa fa fa faa fa fa fa fa-fa faa

Quote by Paul Brannigan
Pie is like bread, but just with more pie in it
grace note
[highlight]MY GUITAR[/highlight]
Quote by TheAmaranth
I once broke a G-String while fingering an A minor.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your sig if you are one of the 8% who stayed with real music.
A flam is like a grace note, only on drums.

I'd really argue whether it is optional or not. They're there for a reason. I'd say they're not any more optional than any other note.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris

I'd really argue whether it is optional or not. They're there for a reason. I'd say they're not any more optional than any other note.

CT

I completely agree with that statement.

Don't take it out; better yourself by learning how to do it.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
I completely agree with that statement.

Don't take it out; better yourself by learning how to do it.

Thirded for effect. I never really understood how quiet or quick translated to optional. Whenever I'm practising I always think of this piece of advice I picked up from a fellow musician...

"You aren't learning music to just play the piece. You are learning to sometime perform it for someone, whether it be yourself, or for others. You are playing the piece to give someone something they didn't have before. So, what exactly do you want them to take away from your performance? An attempt at the piece, or a wonderful recital of music"

Paraphrased of course, but you get the idea.

Summary : Play the "grace" note.

(where in classical gas is that part?!)
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Last edited by nightwind at Sep 3, 2006,
(where in classical gas is that part?!)

The first musical staff (I think).... or bar #5 (in the pic I attached). There's probably more of it later on.

Maybe it's just the Tab version I got.
If you havent been answered by now. I will. I believe the 6 in brackets mean thst you let the note vibrate throughout those three chords and dont pick it but pick the other strings.
Quote by Reez
Bump.

How about this one ? What does the 6 in the bracket on the G string mean ?

I believe it means those notes are optional. if you wanna play it, go for it. if not, don't.

someone correct me if I'm wrong
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Quote by axemanchris
A flam is like a grace note, only on drums.

CT

you can take it out if you are just learning I suppose, but if you are feeling up to it then it is needed. Its part of the song lol - it is written the way the author intended it to be played.
Quote by poordoggie
you can take it out if you are just learning I suppose, but if you are feeling up to it then it is needed. Its part of the song lol - it is written the way the author intended it to be played.

as I understand it, the author writes it that way because even he sometimes doesn't feel like playing it. it's all a matter of taste.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light