i just recently got my hands on a dremel. any experienced dremel-ers out there got any tips for me? like what would be a good dremel bit to use for routing out a floyd rose cavity?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
good luck routing a fr cavity with a dremel, i suppose you can do it...but is going to take awhile. as for pointers though, try to relax when you use it, be fluid in your movement and take your sweet time with every cut, no real need to hurry if it means you f-up your cuts every time..
what do u use a dremel for the most? what would i use to route a floyd rose cavity? (the guitar already has a basic tremelo, i'm just routing it out for the lowered square that goes behind it for backwards range
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
I use a dremel most for route inlay cavities. For the floyd i'd use a router and a template. Dremels aren't really designed for routing.
the wrong dremel attachment can overheat, crack in half and shoot across the room like tiny spear.
*yeah, missed me by an inch.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
what's a good brand of router?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
Good router brands you ask? DeWalt, Milwaukee, Bosch, Porter Cable, etc.

This might be a good router for you, it's a combo fixed base & plunge router incase you dont have a drill press or drill for that matter to remove most of the material.

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=5585

This is the router I use, fixed based 2-1/4 HP router. Reaaal nice.

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=5575

Of course, both those sell in the $300 + range, but you asked for good routers. You can go to Home Depot & buy the $59 Ryobi which will do the job just fine as well.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
dremel are great though start off slowly on practice peices of wood
and its gonna take a while with a dremel though i find it to be worht it because there so more accurate. and i think there cute
Quote by sg255
This fine fellow speaks the truth.

Quote by GD_GC
dude sonic music??? you're my hero!

Quote by tanglewoodguit
Love you

Quote by Jackolas
but some of us don't have hundreds of dollars to dish out for a tool we will you once. i have a rotary tool kit and am planning on using that for routing out the trem cavity. what do you guys think about rotary tools.
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

check out my first guitar build, the razorback!
Official Member of the I <3 Schecter's Club, PM Schecter-06 to join.
60 bucks for a Ryobi router at home depot, 16 bucks max for the bit. That's not a lot of money compared to other tools.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
sounds like you got yourself into a bigger project then you relized. a standard trem has a hole thats about 3/4" x 3 1/4" (just estimateing by memory don't flame me).. that hole goes all the way through the body. the floyd rose trems have holes the same shape as the entire top down profile of trem that goes in about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. + the hole that goes through the body might not be in the right spot to get your intonation right.
your best bet imo, is to just keep the trem you got for now and save up some money to either buy a new guitar or have a pro install the trem for ya and set it up.
are you asking about doing a jem style "CLAW" because you can do that with a dremel

look here (althought some of it is with a small 1/8" router, you can do that with a router base for a dremel)

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/trem.htm

check out the rest fo the project guitar trem routing tutorials as well, you'll learn a lot