I'm moving tomorrow and the journey includes several hours of driving as well as a 2 hour ferry trip, so I was wondering if it would be a bad idea to leave the tubes in my fender blues junior
How difficult is it to remove and replace the tubes, and do you think it's necessary to protect them?
thanks in advance
As long as the amp isn't gonna fly around inside the car it should be fine, just sercure it to something. The ferry should be no problem unless it runs into something, but if that happens you've got bigger issues.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Yea, if i remember the things i've read correctly, the amp moving around a bit isnt a huge deal unless the tubes are still warm from use. You dont want them to shake around to much, but it can handle some movement. I carry around my tube amp in a car to jams and shows and stuff all the time and it hasn't hurt it yet.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
You're fine if you leave them in the amp during transport. And for the future, you will have to replace the tubes but it is very simple. Just pull them out of their sockets gently but firmly and replace them with the new ones. You will need to be gentle so as not to bend the pins, just feel around and find the right slots and your new tubes will slide right in without a problem.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
ok dont touch them with your bare hands if you remove them. the oils in your hands are bad for it .

since last time i told some one this some people had a fit ill just post backup the first time.
http://www.athensmusician.net/archive/2004-04-23_tubes.php
http://www.anthemav.com/OldSitev1/pdf/sfs50.pdf#search=%22finger%20oils%20%2B%20vacuum%20tubes%22
MEMBER 6 OF I <3 Online Putt Putt Group
Puttsecks?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
I like peni better. It sounds funnier.
"a group of naked guys jumped me, I have never seen so much peni ."
he likes peni

Captain of the Rage Against the Myspace Club. PM Bloody Mary to enlist.
Unless the amp is gonna be bumping around a lot (which it won't really) it's not gonna' be a big problem.
But you could do it just incase.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by RAGEING_BAD_@$$
ok dont touch them with your bare hands if you remove them. the oils in your hands are bad for it .

that really sounds bogus. as long as you only touch the glass, there's no reason it would harm them. i touch windows all the time, and they never shatter or anything...
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Hmm, well window glass is completely different then the glass in tubes. And no where did he say they would shatter, but it would affect them badly. I personally have never heard that you shouldnt, but it would make sense. Anyone else support the "DOnt touch with bare hands theory"?
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Quote by HeartInACage
Hmm, well window glass is completely different then the glass in tubes. And no where did he say they would shatter, but it would affect them badly. I personally have never heard that you shouldnt, but it would make sense. Anyone else support the "DOnt touch with bare hands theory"?

Yes I can support it. When you touch the glass with your bare hands, it leaves spots of oil from your fingers on the glass where your fingers were. These oils create "hot spots" on the tubes when they are plugged in and cooking, making it more likely that they will burn out in those particular spots. If you need to touch the tubes, you just need to be sure to wipe them down afterwards.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Quote by HeartInACage

I do, I've read it in multiple places that touching the tubes with bare hands isn't good for them.
You never know...I once touched the windows, and it exploded and I got shards stuck everywhere in my body, maybe it's just my explosive cum though..
^ yea but that is like 95% of the members here.

And yes also go along with not touching he glass. I worked as a mechanic for years and when you are replacing Halogen headlights if you touch the glass it ruins the bulb. The oil from your hands "can" also cause the bulb to burst
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.
Quote by rockxwl
When you touch the glass with your bare hands, it leaves spots of oil from your fingers on the glass where your fingers were. These oils create "hot spots" on the tubes when they are plugged in and cooking, making it more likely that they will burn out in those particular spots.

Technically, the glass in the tubes will crack in that location... It's the same reason you're told never to handle a halogen light bulb by the glass or to touch it with your bare hands. The oils left behind will cause a hot spot at that location which can potentially cause the glass to crack.

Remember, once a tube cracks, it's gone. A tube dying like that can potentially damage other components in the amp itself. Tube amps don't like operating without all its components intact.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor